+-

Author Topic: Breakthrough and setback  (Read 6267 times)

Dee Dee

Breakthrough and setback
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:06:14 AM »
I can finally do my prescribed leg lift exercise with out the sharp pain in the groin.  It still feels like a sore muscle but the sharpness is gone.   :D

On the setback side I am experiencing more aching in the operated hip when I sleep.  I still have muscle soreness in the buttock and IT band area when I go up steps.  I have 14 steps in my tri-level home so i am up and down 7 at a time a lot. Any body relate to this?  When did it go away?

I am getting more range of motion but ever so slowly. I am impatient in this area.  I guess I expected more by now.  Pain stops me in certain positions.

Walking is fine.  I can only manage 1.5 miles before the left hip says no more.  But that is so much better than preop where I old not make it around the block most days.

I am going to pt and it is helping me with strengthening.  My lower back is trying to flare up (spondilolythesis) so we are working the core a lot.  I have been doing scar therapy and lots of clamshells and bridging to get those sore muscles working.

All this recovery makes me want to put off the second surgery. I feel like the first hip won't be back to normal and I am not wanting issues in both hips,
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

metoo

Re: Breakthrough and setback
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:30:57 AM »
Dee Dee,

After reading this hiptalk group for some time, I have concluded there are a number of recovery paths that people take.  Dr Gross fixed my hip the week prior to you.   I cruised for about 4 weeks, then I experienced what I thought was trochanter bursitis.  They had me cut back on activity and use ice.  I guess I  was not ready for that amount of walking, and activity.  That resolved, but then a couple of weeks later I had a blood clot lodge in the calf.    I was  sitting for long periods of time at work and that might have been a contributing factor.  That set me back for a couple of weeks.   Things seem to be back on track again.

Have you estimated how many times you use the stairs?  I can climb 4 flights of stairs without pain, but I only do that once or twice a day.  I don't know if it is right or wrong, but when I start feeling pain I shut it down for the day.   However, some take the route of a move aggressive activity and seem to do well.

My ROM sucks, but it sucked before the surgery.  I am doing the phase 2 stretching exercises.   The ROM may be important for other reasons related to recovery, but just in itself, ROM is not that important to me.

I have never had groin pain.   I usually get the start of a pain in the buttocks, and/or on the outside of the hip after too much walking/stairs.   At that point I try to cut back on the activity for the rest of the day and will sometimes use ice if it is convenient for me to do so.   You may not be able to do that if you can't avoid the stairs in the house.  I did a search on groin pain in hiptalk and got a lot of hits.  Seems like that is a common symptom.

The second surgery is still three months away.  You will probably have more breakthroughs before then.

Right hip.  Dr Gross, 5/16/2012

Dee Dee

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:55:55 PM »
Thanks metoo.

I ice my back almost everyday, but with the hip aching I should try icing that some again. 

I get annoying leg muscle pain every time I go up the stairs which is at least 10 times a day only 7 steps.
When will it feel normal again?

Sorry about your blod clot.  That must have been scary.  I thought I was getting one but I got the all clear from ultrasound.

My rom was getting real bad before surgery but it is worse/different now than then.  More of a catch/sharp pain on certain moves rather than an big aching strain as before.  Rom is important to me.  It is one of the reasons I had the surgery.  I guess that is why I am questioning Dec.  surgery.

Any encouragement on ROM recovery would be greatly appreciated. 

Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Dee Dee and metoo,

Both of your recoveries seem within the normal scope.  I still get some groin pain, and I'm 8 months out.  For me, now, it's just when I overdo it, or - oddly - when I'm really isolating the small muscles.  For example, if I stand on my operated leg to put on pants, and hold it there for 10 seconds, then it will "hurt" a little when I relax that leg. 

I think you'll both find that the issues will all resolve, but it will be little by little.  Even though Dr. Gross is not big on PT, I think it did me a world of good.  I went after 4 months.

Keep your chin up....sounds like you're on track.

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM