+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: hip resurfacing  (Read 3909 times)

ez

hip resurfacing
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »
new to this site, im a male 33 and i have osteoporosis in the left hip went to the hospital friday, hopeing they would say i can have hip resurfacing , but they instead try to put me on the list for a new hip , because they said hip resurfacing is not done any more because off the metal on metal ,and they stop doing it a little while ago .
can any tell me if the nhs has stop hip resurfacing in london this year because trying to find out and cant find anything saying they have stop doing it nhs , london thanks
Ez
L/h/r

rubyred

• Never Give Up
Re: hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »
Hi Ez,

There will be more people on the forum who are far more knowledgeable than me who I'm sure will reply to you, but I just wanted to say that I had metal on metal hip resurfacing, but I had mine done under Mr Treacy at the NHS Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in Birmingham.

I didn't want to just read and not reply, i'm sure other forum members will be more accurate when it comes to metal on metal in London.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

ez

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:07:09 AM »
cheers rubyred

thanks for letting me know , when did u have it done , does it stop you doing any sports or anything , and are u young aswell because , this is something i was not expecting at this age
Ez
L/h/r

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:14:13 AM »
I had my surgery on 9th August, so i'm almost 4 weeks into my recovery. It's far too early to say how it will effect my hobbies as i'm still recovering, however my surgeon promised me once i'm healed I will be back to where I was 5 years ago. I'm 31 years old, so that was very good news for me. My life stopped 3 years ago when I started getting arthritis.

Welcome back to life.

ez

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:24:30 AM »
good luck with the recovery hope all goes well for you , but your last sentence says it all , fully agree its crazy what it does to you especially , when your use to doing everything and anything ,it mess with my work ,becuse im a scaffolder but luckly its my own firm so i can pick and choose when i go out , but good luck and im sure i will find the answer im looking for on this site
Ez
L/h/r

ez

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »
sorry forgot to ask was your opp private or nhs
Ez
L/h/r

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 10:29:18 AM »
I'm sure someone will be along soon enough with a better answer for you, but I just wanted to let you know that there are surgeons in this country that do do successful MOM BHR's, so even if London isn't an option and you're still keen on having resurfacing then Birmingham might be a place to consider if you didn't mind travelling.

I had no joy getting resurfaced here in Essex, so went to Birmingham instead, and I was NHS as going private wasn't an option for me. I had such a quick turnaround though in appointments. From getting referred by my GP to actually sitting down with Mr Treacy, it was about 4 weeks. Amazingly fast for the NHS system. Of course it's slightly quicker privately, but it depends if you have the funds for that.

Welcome back to life.

ez

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 10:46:57 AM »
oh not so far from london ,im croydon really , and the hospital was mayday that said they dont do it any more , but gonna go bk to my doctor and get me refered to the one you said and see what happens, and as for paying for it phoned up nutfield and they said £25k + so nhs will defo do as long as i can find some where but thanks again in this short time ive pick up a lot off info from u ,
good luck with every thing ,was it both hips or just the one , and have they found a reason as to why you got arth at young age
Ez
L/h/r

Spanielsal

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »
Hi Ez

Just thought I'd jump in because if you cant choose and book Mr Treacy on the nhs then Mr McMinn does private hips in Birmingham. Hi website. Mcminncentre dot co dot uk etc has costs on one of the pages and I think it was 13.5K which is better than the 25 you mentioned.

You should be able to request to see Mr Treacy via choose and book through the NHS.

Good luck!

Sal
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 10:56:45 AM »
Mr Treacy is the man to go to. He devised the BHR along with Mr McMinn, so if you're going to get it done and don't mind the travelling to the Royal Orthopaedic then he's the way to go!

I was born with hip sockets too small to fit the hip joint, but had no symptoms until 3 years ago. I had various treatments to try and rid me of the pain, but nothing worked. Southend Hospital wrote me off saying there was no help available, that's when I found this site and found out about Mr Treacy. I got myself referred by the GP and here I am, with a shiny, brand new hip! Amazing what can be done if you shop around  ;) It's well worth getting a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th opinion especially when it comes to your health. I'm so pleased I didn't take the surgeons down here's word as gospel! I only had the left hip operated on, but as I have no symptoms yet in the right hip, they're leaving it alone for the time being.

To echo Sal's point, Mr Treacy does accept NHS referrals. It's patients choice these days, so in theory you should be able to see any NHS surgeon in the country should you so wish.

Welcome back to life.

Mike D

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »
Hi Ez
I did the same as Ruby-I'm in York and asked to be referred to Mr Treacy in Birmingham.
He is one of the very best in the world and as Ruby and Sal say-he is available through NHS. Don't settle for a local surgeon unless he has a brilliant record and comes highly recommended.
A couple of hours up the M1 will get you the best treatment possible in this country.
The metal on metal issues don't apply to the BHR when it's done by people like Treacy, Mcminn because it's a guarantee that they place the joint perfectly, allowing it to work as it was designed to.
Most of the bad press comes from poorly placed devices or the ASR that has been withdrawn.
Cheers,Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

ez

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »
mike, sal and ruby

thank you all so much for your advice i will be defo going down to mr treacy in birmingham gonna speak to my doc on wednesday and get refered up to birmingham thanks all
Ez
L/h/r

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »
mike, sal and ruby

thank you all so much for your advice i will be defo going down to mr treacy in birmingham gonna speak to my doc on wednesday and get refered up to birmingham thanks all

Good luck, Ez! Let us know how you get on!

Welcome back to life.

Spanielsal

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 01:59:08 AM »
Yay, Ez, you will get the best answer from him. Even if you aren't suitable he'll tell you.  Good luck and keep us posted!
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

ez

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 12:26:46 PM »
hi all

went to doctors today instead off tomorrow and they told me i wont be able to get refered,because birmingham is not in my options im able to choose from , so the nhs wont pay for it ,because its out off region .
Does any one know off a way i can get round this to be able to get refered to birmingham

cheers
Ez
L/h/r

Mike D

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 01:09:03 PM »
Ez
That doesn't sound right to me that it's off region-not heard of that before.
When I was asked if I had a preferred surgeon and/or hospital, I said Mr Treacy- Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham, to which the reply was- " Birmingham? , we haven't referred anyone there before, I'll go and check."
5 mins later- " Yes, thats no problem, we'll send a request through and you'll hear from us"
Unfortunately, that never happened and I got so fed up making enquiries and not having calls returned that I paid £150 to see Mr T privately at Edgebaston and he referred me directly to him on the NHS via my GP.
6 weeks later I saw him at the ROH and that was it-booked in for surgery a further 8 weeks down the line.
I'd push really hard over this if I were you- it would be well worth contacting Mr T's NHS secretary to see what they say about it.
I've got numbers somewhere for both private and NHS secretaries if you want them-let me know and I'll dig them out.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

ez

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »
cheers mike

got the numbers off the internet today so gonna phone his secretary tomorrow and see what or if they can do any thing , but croydon department off nhs is useless , mayday hospital was the ones who said they longer do hip resurfacing so that says it all

cheers mike
Ez
L/h/r

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 01:40:41 PM »
ez, it seems most hippys have to fight for the right to resurface (apologies to the beastie boys). I saw Danny fight his way through, HipNHop, ruby, ad infinitum.

Some of us had small fights (I went through three surgeons, two were "THR only"), others had massive furballs. In the end, you want the best for yourself and getting the best possible surgeon is the way to do that. Don't stint yourself, not when you have two of the best in the business within striking distance.

Clear a path, then get yourself done. Good luck - I know it's not easy, but the payoff is potentially huge.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

toby

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 02:21:10 PM »
Ez,
I live in London too had my hip resurfaced by Prof Cobb privately(luckily I've a teachers' BUPA cover) in Jan 2010. The prof is head of Orthopaedics at Imperial College/Charring cross hospital (NHS) where he runs a speciaiised Hip and Knee unit. He has been doing HRs for years, trains young surgeons in HR using navigation techniques, he is a real advocate of HR (produced articles in BMJ-and international publications and speaks at ortho conferences around the world). I know of several people who have had their hips done by the Prof on the NHS(all have been delighted). Please research him.
Also, in London is Prof Fares Haddad, Head of Orthopaedics at UCH, he too is big on HR (patient recently wrote of his experiences on the site). In addition, Marcus Bankes does HR at Guys and St Thomas's.
So Ez, do the research-you sure have great HR options on the NHS in London but you will have to be forceful with your GP re-a referal.
Best
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

morph

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »
Newcastle Nuffield were going to charge me 14k for going private, so 25k seems way of the mark. Most but the experienced surgeons are shying away from MOM THR and resurfacing. For NHS as already mentioned Treacy in Birmingham is the most experienced. Jeremy Latham in Southampton is also a very good surgeon who still does BHR. Not sure if Bloomfield is still in London or on the NHS, if so he is another very good surgeon.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM