+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: my new hip  (Read 3156 times)

lyn

my new hip
« on: September 03, 2012, 10:23:16 AM »
Just wanted to let you know I'm 5 days post op now and feeling remarkably well. I feel much better than I thought would. I  want to thank everybody for thoughts  and encouragement . I dont want to get ahead of myself . I need to realize there will probably be some difficult times with recovery. Thanks lyn

L-HR 42/48 biomet Dr.Gross/Lee Webb

rubyred

• Never Give Up
Re: my new hip
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:30:27 AM »
Hi Lyn,

Good luck with your recovery. I remember being less than 5 days out, the swelling and brusing was still coming out and I was hobbling around the hospital ward!
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 02:38:24 PM »
Hi Lyn
Hope you're managing to stay as pain free as possible.
My first two weeks just centred around trying to get comfortable and staving off boredom!
I found that the three week point was where I started to feel 'normal' again and was fully in control of my leg by then.
Previous to that, I did feel vulnerable a couple of times getting in/out of bed etc, but the exercises really helped strengthen the muscles so that I was in control again.
I'm tempted to walk without crutches but as you say, dont get ahead of yourself.
Look up Jason's post from a few days back to see what can happen if you do get tempted-he's ok, but it could have been awful for him.
Someone here suggested keeping a diary of your progress-I've done it and it's good to read back as you don't always make progress every day, but maybe more over a week.
Keep going Lyn.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »
Lyn, that's great! There will be challenges you have to face like we all did, but you also have to enjoy the positive parts.

You're on your way, how did the surgery go and are you doing home PT?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lyn

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:21:17 PM »
Hi Hernan,
Dr. Gross said surgery went well. But I knew better to say I was feeling remarkably well, because in 24 hrs I had horrible problem with my stomach due to meds, it was probably the narcotics talking for me earlier. I'm just doing Tylenol now I got off the narcotics. Today my stomach feels better,but now I have bronchitis. That's what happens when you speak to soon.I'm doing the home pt and trying to walk 2 times daily. I'm just goona take 1 day at a time and try and be patient.

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »
True, get better on the bronchitis (what a pain that it came now!) and be patient, like you said. I did Tylenol for pain after both hips, it worked well for me.

Sounds like you're doing the right things.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Spanielsal

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »
Oh Lyn, hope your recovery gets easier.  Keep going with the exercises, they really help.

Sal
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:11:44 PM »
It's a long road, Lyn, but the destination is ultimately worth it.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

bilateralbliss

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »
hi Lyn, wishing you a nice easy recovery, we`re all here for you
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

lyn

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 08:29:51 PM »
Im 8 days post op now. I've been icing,  doing pt and I feel  pretty good on 1 crutch walking. Do you think it would be ok to use a hiking pole instead of a cane. Also it is normal to limp without a crutch or cane at this point isn't it? When will I not limp anymore?  Thanks, lyn

Dr.Gross LHR 8/29/12

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 10:46:18 PM »
Hi Lyn,  I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better and on the road to recovery.  I was told right from the first short walk with the walker, not to limp.  The PT told me to look down the hall and make sure that I didn't rock side to side.  If you limp now, at some time in the future you'll have to unlearn the limp.  If you need to, go back to two crutches or walk shorter distance so that you don't limp.  You can do it, be patient and keep up with your workouts and most of all; enjoy life with your new hip.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

lyn

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 05:17:04 PM »
Thanks for the info, I will continue to use my hiking pole or crutch, because there is no way I can walk now without a limp. I think my muscles are still not strong enough to support my weight. Im 9 days post op now. I will definatly focus on not limping. Thanks, lyn

jono

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »

Welcome Lyn. You are doing great on the walking so soon. I found it useful to keep my crutch handle high and walk with a straight back. This is not as fast but stops the limping.

Good to heaven and bad to hell was a simple ditty my PT gave me to go up and down stairs.
Gaston LBHR   14/08/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat