+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Do Dr. DeSmet's post-op BHR patients still us a pool at 2 days after surgery?  (Read 5346 times)

Roberta

I am contemplating bi-lateral hip resurfacing due to a severe limp and bone on bone hip arthritis, even though I do not have pain yet. This is mostly because I do not want to lose the option to have resurfacing instead of hip replacement.

I read that Dr. DeSmet's Villa is closed and am wondering whether the early pool exercise is still used. Does anyone know? At what point do you use the pool? Why is the prohibition for water emersion that most doctors adher to not applicable here?

Has anyone had bi-lateral hip resurfacing and been walking 4 miles and swimming every day by 6 weeks post op?

Thank you for helping me figure out what to do.

Tim Bratten

Hi Roberta
I had surgery with De Smet last February 14 and at that time there were no more pool activities as part of his rehabilitation program. But for me that wasn't such a big deal. De Smet uses some special waterproof bandages that paste right on to the hip and by the second day after surgery I was taking a shower in my hotel room. I know the Holiday Inn doesn't compare to the Villa, but my revision surgery with De Smet was a wonderful experience and it's really working out quite well for me so far (recently at six months post-op I had my first x-ray check-up with De Smet and he told me in his characteristically terse style "the x-ray looks perfect" ). I aso know De Smet likes to do bilaterals because he wanted to do one on me. I would HIGHLY recommend him as an excellent choice for your hip surgeon. 

I haven't had bilateral surgery, but I had a "complicated" revision surgery and by six weeks after sugery (5 weeks and four days to be exact) I had started training in my climbing gym and at six weeks and three days I went for my first 5 mile hike (using trekking poles, for sure). However I should mention that recovery is not so easy and each individual evolves at a different rate. Donīt expect to be running triathalons six weeks after bilateral surgery.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:08:16 AM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

maquino20

Hi everyone, I'm considering having my right hip resurfaced very soon with Dr.De Smet. I've read some encouraging stories on this website, just wondering if any Dr. De Smet patients want to share the experience and tell me how their hips are doing after a few years of surgery. Best of luck to everyone!

Tim Bratten

Hi maquino20
I'm almost one year post-op and doing super good. Right now I'm on a road trip climbing in Red Rocks

If you want to see about my first 11 months after surgery, I wrote some details in a blog (starting with this post):

http://timbratten.blogspot.com/2014/08/this-blog-is-direct-continuation-of.html

I highly recommend De Smet as an excellent choice!
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM