+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: limping  (Read 1768 times)

lyn

limping
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »
Im 2 weeks post op, and feeling well, except for the fact I'm still limping without my hiking pole. It feels like my mucsles dont want to support my left side. I'm walking 1/4 twice daily and doing the pt excersises Dr. Gross gave me. Should I be concerned or do I need just need to be patient and keep working on it? Thanks, lyn

hernanu

Re: limping
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:14:19 AM »
Patience, lyn, patience. At two weeks you are really early; remember you had major surgery two weeks ago. I limped until about five weeks along, still had a startup limp for months after, limped when I got tired also.

You (and every other hippy at that time) are asking a lot of your muscles and they're trying but are just not fully up to it right now. You're doing good things with the walking and your exercises, but keep where and when you are in mind.

Your body is telling you that the muscles are not yet strong enough and need a bit of help.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »
You should NOT be walking unaided if you are still limping, it's bad in so many ways.  One crutch, cane or some other supporting device then just use it less and less till you are walking properly.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Wyoming Kim

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:45:45 PM »
Yep, with Chuck on that....you should have a device to aid you while walking because you don't want your muscles memorizing how to walk with a gimp!
I'm two weeks post op today a matter of fact and I'm also still limping/ gimping along but so ready to move past that but I keep being told "paaatience"...must be why in the dictionary it is also refered to a s "long suffering". LOL
8/29/12 Right BHR...Dr. Cook, Leawood, KS
48MM Head/ 54MM Cup
2/1/17 Left BHR...Dr. Cook, Leawood, KS
48MM Head/ 54MM Cup

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »
Got it right, Kim - glad you're doing well too...
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 03:06:55 PM »
Lyn, like others I didn't walk limp-free until 4+ weeks.  And, like others, I still had a startup limp (first 4-6 steps) for probably 3 months.

Relax.  This "downtime" goes by quickly, even though it seems to go slow while you're in it.

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 03:48:29 PM »
I was just going to say what Andy said.  I limped up to about 5 weeks.  You're way early, it'll go away just take your time and gently work on it with a walking aid.  Nose over the centerline all the way through the stride.  Eventually, you'll notice being able to make a longer stride without giving into the limp.  That probably won't happen until 4 or 5 weeks. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 03:50:53 PM »
Lyn, I'm at 5 weeks and still limping unaided. This is perfectly normal for the surgery we've had done. Your body has been through a trauma. Give it the time it needs to recover and use whatever walking aids you have to support you.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

lyn

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:15:23 PM »
Thanks so much everyone for your advice you all have helped me feel so much better. I will be patient and continue to work at it carefully. Rubyred I hope you are doing better. Thanks again! Lyn

kamoynsgi

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 04:40:41 PM »
Hi Lyn - I can only confirm what the earlier posts have said.  Two weeks is really early days.  Am almost 5 weeks and walking unaided is not pretty - yet.  Stay with whatever you need to carry you along, it won't be for long. Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

Wyoming Kim

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
Kim - glad you're doing well too...

Thank You
8/29/12 Right BHR...Dr. Cook, Leawood, KS
48MM Head/ 54MM Cup
2/1/17 Left BHR...Dr. Cook, Leawood, KS
48MM Head/ 54MM Cup

Advertisements

Recent Posts