+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: muscle twinges/pain  (Read 2054 times)

lyn

muscle twinges/pain
« on: September 16, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »
Is it normal to experience muscle pain in hip area? In 18 days post op and for the first time when I was walking I experienced a what feels like muscle spasm or some kind of pain. In the course of recovery we are probably going to have muscle pain in different areas right? It so easy to freak out when you feel anything that doesn't seem normal, at least for me anyway. Thanks, lyn

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
Re: muscle twinges/pain
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:02:57 PM »
Lyn,
Congrats on the hip. I'm 5 days post op myself. I'm not sure about muscle pain but why wouldn't you have it? The surgeryu is pretty serious. I'm sure our muscles are still healing and will be for some time to come. Can I ask if your walking unassisted?
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

lyn

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 07:54:09 PM »
No I'm walking with a hiking pole and feel pretty good when Im walking with it, still can't walk unassisted without limping. I Walked 0.4miles this morning and it was on my 2cnd walk when I experienceded the muscle pain. I walked 0.2 on 2cnd walk. Lyn

lyn

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 08:02:01 PM »
I forgot to mention I did check with Lee with Dr. Gross , and she told me to not over do it and listen to my body. She said it would take a year to heal. And I should expect pain/soreness as I recover. As many people have said it is a long road and patience is essential. Lyn

Kiwi

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »
Hi Lyn
Yes it's normal. I'm nearly 10 months post op & still feel muscle 'twinges', a bit of groin pain and my scar tissue still needs to be worked on by my sport physio. In saying that I've been playing a bit of squash lately  :D
Take your time, it does get MUCH better!
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 09:25:54 AM »
Very normal, lyn. Strengthening those muscles is a long term project - you'll see great improvement, but as Kiwi mentions - it will be there a while.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:38:39 AM »
Absolutely Lyn. Our muscles have been stretched, pulled and lord knows what else. They're pretty ticked off at us right now so expect all sorts of twinges for awhile.

Have you watched any YouTube videos of the surgery? If you can stomach it, I recommend it. It really helped me to understand properly what the surgeons have to do and why the road to recovery takes time, but ultimately worth it.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »
Ditto.....you're going to get weird pains, maybe some clunking, clicks, etc. for a while.  Like Lee said, if you get sore or pain, just dial it back, rest, ice, and don't sweat it.

I think I have something like five posts asking if something was "normal".  The uncertainty is also normal.  From what you've described, you're doing great!  It'll keep getting better, too.  Just do the exercises they gave you religiously.

Also, when I hit the 4 month mark, I asked Dr. Gross to send a prescription for physical therapy (which he doesn't automatically do).  I feel like this helped propel me to a faster level of recovery and return-to-activity.  But, I didn't want to do it too soon.  You might consider that.

Keep it up!

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
and, ditto.  Yeah, I had those sorts of twinges and odd pains here and there up top about 6 months. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

lyn

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 05:43:45 PM »
Thanks for all the input, and yes rubyred I have watched the surgery once about a year or so ago.I know Dr Gross moved many muscles, but Im not sure if he had to cut any. Does any other Dr.Gross hippys know, and if he did, how do the muscles repair from being cut? In any case  cant watch the surgery again, once was enough. Taking 1 day at a time. Lyn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat