+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip resurfacing in Ontario  (Read 2036 times)

Rosie90

Hip resurfacing in Ontario
« on: September 18, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »
Hi,

I have had one hip resurfacing, done in 2009 by Dr. V. Avram, in Hamilton.  I would like to hear from other hip resurfacing patients residing in Ontario.  Thank you.

Tin Soldier

Re: Hip resurfacing in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »
Welcome

I know nothing about Ontario docs, but hopefully someone will chime in.  A lot of hippies have gone long distances to get an HR, so if you don't find what you're looking for close in, you might consider traveling.

Good luck
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:22:04 PM »

Hi Rosie,

I reside in Brampton, and was diagnosed by Dr Schemitz at St. Mikes last year. Last check, there were 4 surgeons in Ontario who provide resurfacings. As the years go by, some of these will join the Old Boys Club. Unless that can be confirmed, my intention is to see Dr. Bose in Chenai because of his price and reputation.

What are you looking to find out?

Rosie90

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:33:38 AM »
Hi Canadian-Ice,

You are planning to travel to India for hip resurfacing surgery?

I would like to read the experiences of other Ontario hip-resurfacing patients and find out which surgeons they might recommend.

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
Rosie, yes, to clarify, I am planning to travel to India for hip resurfacing. The extra hours on the plane both ways and $10,000 a shot are utterly irrelevant considering the higher risk of decades of any groin pain and higher risk of early failure in getting the device from a local surgeon with far less experience and no published track record. Flights can also be spaced. The real problem is coordinating follow up care, but not really an insurmountable one, from what I gather. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:22:44 AM by Canadian-Ice »

Rosie90

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »
Did you need to wait a long time for this surgery?  I imagine that OHIP won't kick in anything.  Did your doctor recommend any Ontario surgeons for hip resurfacing?

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
I didn't get the surgery yet, but Bose's clinic does have a fastrack list for people in urgent need. Maybe someone can attest to this being a few weeks in the past? OHIP provided just $1000 to an Ontario acquaintence of mine who got his HR done in Quebec at a cost of $6000. My sports doc --Dr. Galea who you can Google -- referred me to Schemitz for discussion. I would have no reason not to believe that Schemitz (or other Ontario Ortho Docs providing resurfacing) is not a very capable surgeon. But he was not confident enough to provide me with any information on longevity of his BHR resurfacings, saying it could last 2-3 years or much longer. He also was clear against running on the device. There are some posts on this site from folks who had their resurfacing with Schemitz. Again I am sure he is a fine surgeon but I personally would have more to support better outcomes with some of the world's best out of province.

Torontogirl

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 10:23:13 PM »
Hi Rosie,

I recently had bi-lateral surgery in Belgium by Dr De Smet (July 3). Like Canadian -Ice, I felt I might not get the best outcome from having the surgery done locally. After doing some research, I chose Dr. De Smet due to experience and reputation and ease of travel-there is a direct flight from Toronto to Brussels, stopping in Montreal. After surgery, I stayed at the Holiday Inn for 1 week and had daily physio and nursing visits (this is part of the surgical package). This I found to be very helpful to aid recovery and to prepare for the flight home! After 5 weeks at home I started out- patient physio and this has boosted my recovery further. I have nothing but positives to say about my experience in Belgium -Dr De Smet is extremely professional and competent, as is his team. The hospital staff too were very good. I would recommend Belgium as a viable alternative. Before, I left I contacted OHIP to see if they would help with any costs and was told no unless it was life threatening!!! Interesting that Canadian -Ice's friend was subsidised but i'm guessing it was because it was only out of province not out of country. I'd be happy to answer any questions-if you'd like to e-mail me.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear