+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lower leg/calf cramps pre-op  (Read 1660 times)

AdRoc

Lower leg/calf cramps pre-op
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »
Hi,

For the past couple of months, I have been experiencing some fairly intense lower leg/calf cramps on my soon-to-be surface-hippied left side.  They mainly hit at night when I am in bed, and have more than once woken me up.

Has anyone else experienced this?  And are the cramps indicative of something more serious going on?  With less than 3 weeks before surgery, I want to make sure I have a handle on this.

Any advice or feedback would be helpful.

Thanks!

AdRoc
L BHR with Dr. Pritchett scheduled for 9 October 2012

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: Lower leg/calf cramps pre-op
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 04:34:12 PM »
I had referred knee pain quite often, but not cramps.

I would think that cramping is more related to overuse, poor stretching, or possibly your diet (low potassium?).  I am certainly no MD, so that's where I'd go for answers.  I'm sure if you call your soon-to-be surgeon, they can advise you.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:35:33 PM »
AdRoc,
I had that for about 6 months prior to surgery, sometimes it got so bad at night it almost brought tears!
A couple of times it just wouldn't go and gripped my whole leg. Even on the night before my surgery I was up twice nearly crying!
The good news is that in the 6 weeks since surgery, I've not had the slightest twinge.
I wondered if it was because of the blood thinning injections post-op, but it's just my theory.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »
Another Pritchett hippy (to be).  :)  I bet it's just pain and cramping from the way you walk, a limp?, increased degeneration of the hip?, and probably nothing more serious than that.  A lot of folks mention pain or even numbness in the lower part of the leg and it goes away after HR and the readjustment period (few weeks to a couple months).  I had some odd pain and numbness in the lower part of both legs before surgery and it all went away from surgery.  Not really cramps, but I think that woul dbe easy to get with decreased ROM and maybe low potassium as Imgetin pointed out.

There were a few weeks of what felt like my muscles readjusting to the new joint, but that goes away with time and PT.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask Susan/Pritchett, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal