+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bad dream  (Read 1908 times)

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
Bad dream
« on: September 20, 2012, 01:25:38 PM »
I am 9 days post op. Last night I had a dream my body wouldn't accept the BHR implant. So I woke up in a panic, once I made my way downstairs I started searching the topic. Came upon metal allergies. This opens

up a whole new list of things to worry about. I am a pro worrier! I also was wondering what the oldest document BHR is. I know they have been around awhile over seas. Oh I know I;m being paranoid. Some one

bring me in.
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Bad dream
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »
There are some long term McMinn patients out there - stop worrying.  You could also have a THR and have to have a revision.  There is no perfect hip device - but luckily for the majority of us, like 94%, it is perfect for a very long time.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/katieellis91.php

http://www.surfacehippy.info/mitchellhill1991.php

http://www.surfacehippy.info/doctorinterviews/mcminn-cementless-resurfacing.php

Check out McMinn's website, too.  Plenty of 20 year old BHRs.

http://www.mcminncentre.co.uk/

Relax and start dreaming about what you are going to do in the future with your BHR.  Like eveyrthing, enjoy the moment and stop worrying about what can go wrong.  Worrying about it won't make it any better.  Use the time to read about the thousands of sucess stories of people with BHRs.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/hip-resurfacing/

http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
Hoyt66

Get a grip! Start planning all the great vacations and activities you can enjoy now and in the future. Focus on the physical activities you need to do to recover stronger than ever. Forget about the negatives possibilities. Nothing bad is going to happen to you.

I've got two new hips and am seeing my surgeon today for follow up x-rays and an exam. Can't wait to tell him how wonderful my new life is. I want to see him smile and enjoy seeing me smiling and acting like a kid again. He gave me back my life, and I owe it to him to make the very best of it.

You're wasting time and energy on negative thoughts when you should be celebrating your new life. Put a big smile on your face and get moving forward. Play like a kid again. Dream the dreams of your youth! You have no limitations now.

Best to you. Live Strong.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »
What Boomer said. Nice one.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hoyt66

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »
Thanks, I've been trying all day to think positive. Did a round of pt by myself and enjoyed the arthritis pain

free movements. Thanks for the links Pat and thanks for the work you put into this site.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »
I found a pretty good video about that, doesn't seem like to big a deal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtKMS1kjlo

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »
Well put Boomer, totally agree.  Don't worry Hoyt.  Take a look at the links Pat posted.  More than likely you are in the 96% to 98% range for success for 15 years or more.  You might be a worrier anyway, but I don't think the benzodiazapenes and narcotics you've been exposed to for the surgery and early recovery, helped.  Yes, most of it's probably gone, but there may be some residual effects for a week or so.   

The BHR has the 20 yr olds in McMinn's data set as Pat points out.   I believe that even some of the other devices like the Cormet are pushing 15 years, not sure about the Conserve but it's also got an excellent track record.  There were three THR groups that had large head metal on metal (CoCr alloy just like our devices), the Mckeer-Farrer, Stanmore, and Ring installed in the 70s?  Anyway, some of the THRs were successful to close to 40 years.  McMinn studied these groups and the design when designing the BHR.  I could not find a percent failure in these groups in McMinn's book.  The point that McMinn makes in his book, is that if there is no reason for metals to be generated from wear, like from poor angles, then it is extremely unlikely that metallosis will occur.  In addition to Pat's links, you might look up a paper by Pritchett on his website (Orthopedics International) about metallosis.  It's not overloaded with medical terminology and is a pretty good read. 
Also, keep in mind that much of the dust-up regarding MoM and metallosis with Hip Resurfacing has to do with the ASR lawsuit (2010).  I think media and lawyers are still trying to get a piece of the action by going on and on about metalloisis with MoM HRs when the datasets from many of the best surgeons and national registries are showing excellent results.

On the other hand, you could also just forget about all of this crap and do what Boomer said, plan for fun and enjoyment of a new life. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »
BILL - dude, I was going to reference the same video, but thought it might give Hoyt even worse dreams.  Hope he's got a sense of humor.

Nice one though!
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 05:27:08 PM »
BILL - dude, I was going to reference the same video, but thought it might give Hoyt even worse dreams.  Hope he's got a sense of humor.

Nice one though!

Yeah I figured that would help cheer him up. ;D  Boomer hit the nail on the head. Think positive you are going to be a happy camper. Full ahead slow and steady, and don't get discouraged if progress levels off for a couple weeks, it keeps getting better. My 4 year anniversary is this saturday, I'll write a 4 year report this weekend. Check out the videos I put up in the motorcycle section, it's working great. Good luck hoyt66 !

hoyt66

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »

Nice one though!

Wow!! Yes, I have sense of humor. Hopefully I won't dream about that. That's a crazy video! So creepy!!

hoyt66

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »
Well put Boomer, totally agree.  Don't worry Hoyt.  Take a look at the links Pat posted.  More than likely you are in the 96% to 98% range for success for 15 years or more.  You might be a worrier anyway, but I don't think the benzodiazapenes and narcotics you've been exposed to for the surgery and early recovery, helped.  Yes, most of it's probably gone, but there may be some residual effects for a week or so.   

The BHR has the 20 yr olds in McMinn's data set as Pat points out.   I believe that even some of the other devices like the Cormet are pushing 15 years, not sure about the Conserve but it's also got an excellent track record.  There were three THR groups that had large head metal on metal (CoCr alloy just like our devices), the Mckeer-Farrer, Stanmore, and Ring installed in the 70s?  Anyway, some of the THRs were successful to close to 40 years.  McMinn studied these groups and the design when designing the BHR.  I could not find a percent failure in these groups in McMinn's book.  The point that McMinn makes in his book, is that if there is no reason for metals to be generated from wear, like from poor angles, then it is extremely unlikely that metallosis will occur.  In addition to Pat's links, you might look up a paper by Pritchett on his website (Orthopedics International) about metallosis.  It's not overloaded with medical terminology and is a pretty good read. 
Also, keep in mind that much of the dust-up regarding MoM and metallosis with Hip Resurfacing has to do with the ASR lawsuit (2010).  I think media and lawyers are still trying to get a piece of the action by going on and on about metalloisis with MoM HRs when the datasets from many of the best surgeons and national registries are showing excellent results.

On the other hand, you could also just forget about all of this crap and do what Boomer said, plan for fun and enjoyment of a new life.

Thanks Tinsoldier. I think I'll take the latter advice. Plan for fun and pain free hip!

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 09:48:29 PM »

Nice one though!

Wow!! Yes, I have sense of humor. Hopefully I won't dream about that. That's a crazy video! So creepy!!

Hahaha yeah someone put way too much effort into that, 1st time I saw it I was hook line and sinker for way too long.... 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat