+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: RESURFACING AFTER PERI ACETABULAR OSTEOTOMY??  (Read 1938 times)

TIFFANYLB

RESURFACING AFTER PERI ACETABULAR OSTEOTOMY??
« on: September 20, 2012, 02:46:15 PM »

I have had Peri-Acetabular osteotomies on both of my hips

however they have both not corrected my issues
impingement/misshapen femoral head/dysplasia/torn labrums
I aslo have non union of my pubic ramus bi laterally
which I am on a bone growth stimulator for  :-\

I have an upcoming appointment with Dr. Thomas Gross at Midlands Ortho
October 9 to see if I am a candidate for resurfacing.

The physician who did my PAOs is in the same practice as Dr. Gross
and my mother has both of her hips resurfaced by Dr. Gross and has done AMAZING!!!

I was wondering if anyone has had resurfacing after a PAO as I was told by three other
physicians THR is my only option due to the angle of my sockets.

I appreciate any feedback   ;D

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:59:11 PM by TIFFANYLB »

Dannywayoflife

Re: RESURFACING AFTER PERI ACETABULAR OSTEOTOMY??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
Hi and welcome! Im not a surgeon so can't give you an answer but you are going see a very experienced surgeon so your in excellent hands!
There are a few other ladies on here with dysplasia so they might be able to shed some light on weather HR has been done after a pao
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

TIFFANYLB

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »
Thanks so much for your feedback it is appreciated

Anna

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »
Hi Tiffany!

I have dysplasia in both my hips but have never had a PAO so cant shed too much light on that one. Im hoping to have a RTHR and a LPAO sometime soon.

I cannot have resurfacing as my femour is too straight and the angles of my hip are just not appropriate. This is down to the dysplasia as mine is quite severe however there are plenty of girls who have had resurfacing and have dysplasia. Ruby for one (She will comment on this post soon im sure!) and Spally. I think its just down to the specific person rather than whether you have had a PAO or have dysplasia as every case is different. You will not know for sure until Mr Gross has a look at your xrays. Hes a top surgeon though so he will tell you for definate.

Good luck

Anna  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

TIFFANYLB

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »
Dr. Gross has already reviewed all of my xrays, CT scans and MRIS but said that he would like to do an in office eval in order to make a better decision as to whether I am a candidate.

He said based on my scans and xrays alone he would say no but wants to see my ROM and what positions and things are painful for me and where the pain is coming from.

I trust his opinion very highly!!!

I figure even if he says no at least I tried and have researched all of my options before having THR

Mike D

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »
Hi Tiffany,
I think whatever the decision is, you will know by going to see a top surgeon that you have given yourself every chance of getting the type of surgery you want.
If its not to be, at least you won't be wondering what might have been. Also, having the kind of trust that you mention in Dr.Gross is so important.
Best wishes for your appointment, Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 03:31:13 AM »
Hi Tiffany,

I have Dysplasia in both hips and have just had my most serious side resurfaced. Before the decision was made for me to have a BHR they performed so many scans on me, I thought I was going to be cooked from the inside out! As the initially they believed I wasn't a candidate for resurfacing and thought a PAO would be the best way forward.

Luckily the final CT scan showed up some things that all the others haven't and was given a BHR a little over 6 weeks ago. So although I never went through with the PAO, my PAO surgeon did tell me that even if I went ahead with the PAO it would be most likely that I would need either a BHR or a THR as some point in the future due to the nature of the disease (Dysplasia) it's a progressive one.

Take heart in that you have a great surgeon taking care of you and his decision will be the best one for your situation.

I hope i've helped in some way, but any other questions feel free to ask away :)

Ruby.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Spanielsal

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 05:41:00 AM »
Hi Tiffany

I can't add much other than welcome, there is an adult hip dysplasia facebook page but resurfacing chat is rare on there.

I have dysplasia and a resurfacing on one side and a THR on the other. I chose not to go down the PAO route when it was first suggested to me.  I think you have selected a good surgeon but it might be worth emailing your X-rays and history to the others just to get a complete view.

I hope you get one good answers.

Sal
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Dee Dee

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 08:13:31 AM »
Dr. Gross diagnosed dysplasia in my hips which was causing the labral tears and such.  No one else even recognized it and I went to several ortho dr.  He had no problems with my surgery.  I think you are in good hands!  If he does not think you can have hr then you have been to the best and he would know! 

Let us know.

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 11:16:48 AM »
Welcome, Tiffany.

One thing I do know about Dr. Gross is that he often takes cases that other surgeons say they can't do, and he still has one of the highest success rates despite that.  If he says it can't be done, then that's probably true.  Either way you're at the right place.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat