+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: joint lube  (Read 4432 times)

protruck14

joint lube
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:35:36 AM »
Folks
   This may or may not help some of you. I am 9 weeks post op now and back on the bicycle doing light spinning. The doctor told me the BHR unit will last roughly 15 years if not abused. Runners and impact type sports it will last less long. I was experiencing a lot of pain before the operation. I was able almost eliminate the pain for 2 years and put off the operation with the use of Glucosamine and other vitamins. I did take a fairly intense regimen. What it actually did was increase the synovial fluid (joint lube) that your body makes naturally. So now I have a theory. I am continouing the vitamins to increase the lube for the metal joint and hopefully extend it's life. The doctor said, whatever. I guess he doesn't believe in vitamins. I have proved it works.

rubyred

• Never Give Up
Re: joint lube
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 09:13:04 AM »
I took Glucosamine and Chondritin(sp?) for months and months prior to surgery and I didn't see any benefits, but i'm pleased it worked for you.

Maybe it comes down to individual cases?
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
My hip started hurting about 5 years before surgery.  I started taking Glucosamine as well, and it felt better for almost 4 years.

However, I haven't really found any studies (not that I've looked really hard) that describe what it is actually doing.  Near as I can tell, nobody really knows what it's doing, or whether or not it really is doing anything. http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/does-glucosamine-really-work/.

But.......I still believe it also helped me put off surgery for a while...so I take it.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »
I think whatever works for you is great. You took care of the mechanics of it by having the HR, so whatever greases that wheel is good.

I take vitamins all over the place to go along with my caveman diet, but if glucosamine does it for you, go for it!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 02:38:32 PM »
Ha I would ask your surgeon to put his estimate of the BHR's un abused life span in wringing to McMinn and Treacy! They both have patients well over 15 years and theres no sign of them failing! I would also point out to the surgeon the document in which the development of the BHR is described.
On the lube question I would use Hyraluronic acid
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

John C

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 02:45:14 PM »
Hi Danny,
I have been considering Hyraluronic acid injections (Durolane) for my other hip that is starting to act up. I guessed from your post that you were talking about taking it orally. You are great about doing your research. Did you ever find any research regarding it getting into the joint when taken orally?
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 03:09:09 PM »
Hay John I personally didn't really read many scientific studies but my mate who is a sports therapist and he said there were conflicting studies from both sides.
However there's a fair bit of anacdotal evidence from people who take it. I defiantly feel a difference as does my mate who I put on it when he was diagnosed with hip OA and there's a lot of patients on vicky's site who swear by it.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hipnhop

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 10:57:21 PM »
I tried to put mix some WD-40 in my oatmeal but just got the runs.  I tried tart cherry juice, tumeric, ginsing, etc. the only thing that helped was PErcocet.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

protruck14

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 07:22:33 PM »
Folks
  Thanks for the comments. To be more specific. I have been taking the Glucosamine and Chondriten for my back pain which it alleviated, for 15 years. In 2009 the hip hurt me so bad I didn't know what to do. So I doubled the amount of the suppliments I was taking and the pain almost completely went away in 2 more months. That got me 2 more years before getting the surgery. It does work, but I was taking 6000 mg of Glucosamine per day. Really too much to do indefinitly. Im going to ddo some reasearch on your Hydroclonic acid. Thanks for the tip.
   People think vitamins don't work. they really do, you just need the right amount.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »
Protruck yeah the Hyraluronic acid is deffo worth a go! I take it religiously and do feel that it helps my other joints.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 07:15:20 AM »
Protruck yeah the Hyraluronic acid is deffo worth a go! I take it religiously and do feel that it helps my other joints.

Danny,

You say this product helps your "other" joints. Does it do anything for the hip implant?

Thanks,
Chet
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »
To be honest I have no idea. If it does as some people state and helps to keep synovial fluid healthy then I would theorise it might reduce friction between the components slightly? This however really is just the musing of a totally unqualified layman! However I can tell you that when Midmedtec were developing the BHR they used Hyraluronic acid as a lube as it is one of the main components of synovial fluid and so was most realistic.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »
Good one Danny - I was just going to say that.  McMinn used Hyaluronic Acid (HA) as a lube during testing because he said it was the main component of synovial fluid.  I wonder how it gets through the GI tract and into the blood stream and to the synovial membrane without breaking down, which is a common question about taking any supplement.  I have no idea, but if you notice a difference then its a good. 

HnH - too funny, all my friends think I should have a zurk fitting installed in the hip so I can squirt in some heavy weight bearing grease.  Funny, sort of.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »

I don't understand why so many Ortho Docs give completely different information about device longevity. 10-15 years is unbelievable common. Yet published stats differ. Registries vary. It's all very confusing. How could anyone state a BHR will last 10-15 years if not abused? If based on his own stats, that doc should clarify.

On another note, does anyone have any brands of oral Hyraluronic acid to recommend? And I was woundering protruck14 what vitamins you used?

John C

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »
I just started with the Baxyl brand. It is too early to tell if it will work for me, but it did have a couple of the characteristics that I was looking for; it is microbially synthesized instead of animal by-product, it is high molecular weight which many studies have shown works better, and it claims to be bio-available. Not really a recommendation yet since I just started taking it, but it is where my research led me.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 04:04:10 AM »
There is a brand that's highly touted by vicky marrow and a lot o other members on her board. I can't remember the name of it though. I have not used it as the price to ship it to the UK was just astronomical! But it did seem really good value if you live in the US!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

HippyDogwood

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 03:54:13 PM »
There is a brand that's highly touted by vicky marrow and a lot o other members on her board. I can't remember the name of it though. I have not used it as the price to ship it to the UK was just astronomical! But it did seem really good value if you live in the US!
Danny

I am in the UK too so interested in what product / source you ended up thinking was worth a shot
Thanks
David

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »
I get one brand from simply supplements mate. There was one from althealth too but their website seems down now.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Dannywayoflife

Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

HippyDogwood

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 06:06:38 PM »
I get one brand from simply supplements mate. There was one from althealth too but their website seems down now.
Thanks Danny

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat