+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: ACCIS ceramic on ceramic hip resurfacing  (Read 20292 times)

nick4824

ACCIS ceramic on ceramic hip resurfacing
« on: September 21, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »
Hi

Today I have been offered to have an ACCIS ceramic on ceramic hip resurfacing done on my right hip.
This is on the NHS in the UK by a surgeon who has done @ 20 hip resurfacings in total.
I have never heard of ACCIS.
From my own research I would have preferred the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing device.
Can anyone offer any advice?
Thanks.
Nick

hernanu

Re: ACCIS ceramic on ceramic hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »
Hi Nick, welcome to the site!

I would be a bit leery of a couple of things.

• A device that is new and has not been vetted to some degree.
  • A surgeon that does not have enough experience.

Of the two above, I think the second is most crucial, since I could then have some confidence that the first has some validity.

What seems to be true is that a resurfacing surgeon doesn't really become effective until 200 or more procedures. The more the better, since this is a surgical procedure that is more technically demanding than others, like THR as an example.

I tried to look up some information on the device, but was unable to look at it, wasn't able to find any studies done by the US National Institute of Health (although they did have other ACCIS products).

If it were me, I'd want most importantly a surgeon that did many more procedures, and did them more frequently. For my first surgery, I chose a surgeon who had done 800+ procedures, was doing them at a clip of 3-4 per day and was committed to it. The same surgeon for my second was closing in on 900+ by the time I was scheduled (three months later).

I'd also want to know who he trained under, what his revision rates were, and a reason why he was going with this device vs. a well established device like the BHR.

In the UK you have an outstanding group of HR surgeons who are active and committed to the procedure. I would get a second opinion from one of these, to buttress the one you have already gone to. You want this to succeed, and the device, while very important is one component, surgeon choice is I believe a more important one.

This does not denigrate your current surgeon; he may be highly skilled, it's just that in a procedure like this, you want the best and 20 HRs and an new device raises many warning flags to me.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:11:19 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

nick4824

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 04:55:49 PM »
Hernanu

Thanks for your reply.

I too was unable to find any information on the ACCIS device.

He apparently trained in Canada (no surgeon's name given), said his revision rates to THR were zero, and gave the metal ion issue as the reason he was not using BHR.

I read through a number of other posts earlier and, like you kindly suggest, a second opinion from an established UK hip resurfacing surgeon is needed.

Thanks again.

Nick

Mike D

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 05:33:50 PM »
Hi Nick-
If you're looking for an experienced surgeon you can't go wrong with Mr Treacy-he's carried out over 7000 resurfacings and THR's (including mine, 6 weeks ago)
He does both private and NHS patients in Birmingham, and co-invented the BHR with Mr Mcminn.
This device has a very high success rate-somewhere around 96%, I believe- Danny(wayoflife) is the man to give you the exact figures-his research into resurfacing is immense and he's also a Treacy hippy.
Since I joined here, the single message from the experienced hippys has been the same-as hern says- finding the most experienced surgeon possible is critical.
Don't leave anything to chance- the top surgeons place the BHR's perfectly so the metal ion issue, caused by incorrectly placed devices is not going to happen.
Cheers,Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

einreb

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »
Hernanu

Thanks for your reply.

I too was unable to find any information on the ACCIS device.

interesting... it looks like a metal on metal device with a coating on the metal.

http://www.whichmedicaldevice.com/by-manufacturer/117/217/accis-hip-system

40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

nick4824

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 06:01:45 PM »
Mike D

Thanks for the reply.

I'm beginning to like the sound of Mr Treacy.

I appreciate the advice again of 'finding the most experienced surgeon possible'.

Good luck with your recovery.

Nick

nick4824

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Einreb

Thanks for your reply and the link.

I agree it sounds interesting.

It appears that the device is made by a german company called Implantcast.

For more information I'll check out their website tomorrow.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 07:12:33 PM »
Nick where in the UK are you based?

Firstly as hern has eluded to if it were me I would not be letting a surgeon who has only done 20 hip resurfacings any where near me!

Also why would you train in Canada when the 2 co inventors and arguably the best hip resurfacing surgeons are only in Birmingham?

Also there is no metal ion problem with the BHR if the surgeon does his job properly. The alloy the BHR is made from has more data behind it than any other bearing couple I've ever heard of.

The accis devices look good in theory but then so did the dupuy ASR!

If you want my advise get referred to Ronan Treacy. He has done more Hip resurfacings than ANYONE else. When I spoke to Christine his assistant she thought at least 7000 BHR's! Then on top of that thr's and revisions! He is THE MAN.

If I can help in any way please drop me a pm

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »
I have information that I haven't posted yet since it was not FDA approved in the US.  Here is their white paper:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/pdf/accis-ceramic-hip-resurfacing-device.pdf

Mr. McMinn is also working on a ceramic hip resurfacing device.  I am not sure about it's construction.

I would prefer to stay with a BHR with a 20 year record and have a really experienced hip resurfacing do the surgery.  That is only my opinon, not medical advice from me since I am not medically trained.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 01:44:15 AM »
There are a few companies working on ceramic pat i believe the old finsbury are close to unveiling their delta surf but as you say the BHR has 20 years of data plus all the associated data as well.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

nick4824

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »
Dannywayoflife

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you say and I appreciate it.

I am in Wales @ 3 hours by road from Birmingham, England.

You have helped me to decide to contact Mr Treacy's office on Monday.

Thanks again.

Nick

nick4824

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »
Pat

Thank you for your reply.

I enjoyed reading about your own personal journey to Belgium and I'm grateful that you set up and continue to operate this site.

Thanks for the ACCIS white paper link - my mobile broadband isn't letting me access it just yet, but I'll keep trying.

I feel I would be happy with a BHR fitted by an experienced surgeon so I'll try and make contact with Mr Treacy's office after the weekend.

Kind regards

Nick

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 10:22:24 PM »
Nick here's his private details(if you want to see him on the nhs his secretary will give you his nhs email etc)

The Consulting Rooms
81 Harbourne Road
Edgbaston
Birmingham
B15 3HG

Tel 0121 4559496

Email admin@harborneroad.co.uk

He really is one of if not the best surgeon out there. You may find it useful to see him privately you'll see him very quickly then that's where he diagnoses the appropriate action then you can be referred to him on the nhs for the op. It cuts down on waiting times etc as he will have already made the decision to operate.   
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

nick4824

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 07:10:34 AM »
Danny

That's really good of you to give me Mr Treacy's contact details..

Thanks also for the tip to get in to see him quickly.

Nick

Mike D

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 07:35:37 AM »
Nick
I took that same route that Danny described to see him and got the NHS referral within weeks, probably the best £150 I'll ever spend.
Hope it goes smoothly for you.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »
Don't be this guy

phillwad

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
Love the picture

Agree with everyone - experience count

HippyDogwood

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 12:36:55 PM »
Bumping this old thread as whilst Nick seems to have left the group, it would be good to hear of any developments in ceramic resurfacing as this thread infers a number were on the cusp of being rolled out 12 months ago

falascoj

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 11:26:45 AM »
Automated Inspection Technology for the Medical Manufacturing Industries

Before any procedure I'd think about the following idea .

It looks like healthcare is speeding towards a CostCo / Sams Club approach of consolidated services and products . Who and how will any quality control measures on implant  product reliability be observed . Perhaps one needs to check out the fine print on the FDA  510 -(K) process .

That's the process I'd look at - not how many procedures the surgeons done but rather is the device implanted undergone any quality control ?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 02:48:44 AM »
The problem with orthopaedics is things move very very slowly. It takes years for developments to be proven
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat