+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can running weaken hip, post op  (Read 2939 times)

ZAP

Can running weaken hip, post op
« on: September 24, 2012, 09:13:58 PM »
About 4 months post - op i was able to jog about 2 miles.  In 5 months I was doing up to 4 miles.  I'm at my 7 month and very confused. My miles are reducing. The first time I only made it for 3 miles and had to stop I didn't think to much, but now its a struggle to even finish 2 miles.  It feels like a combination of tight IT band and weak abductors.  The muscles around the scar and glutes are extremely tight and sore after.

I stopped doing the physio exercise about 3 months ago, because I thought , if I could run, it would be enough to strengthen the hip.   Can I be wrong?  Can my hip gradually get weak again from running and normal gym workouts using leg press, etc? 

I'm going to go back to the bridges, 1 leg squats, leg lifts, etc to see if it makes a difference.   

Canadian-Ice

Re: Can running weaken hip, post op
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:47:35 PM »

I don't know about hip resurfacing, but I do no a bit about running and working out, having done it a long time. Running of any kind will strengthen your legs and hips in unique ways and leg presses and other compound multi joint lower body workouts will (for me at least) work all hip stabalizers. Squats really do hit all four quad muscles, adductors, glue mede.

I've just found with the OA that frankly it's a matter or experimenting with different exercise movements to find the ones to take away various symptoms. It seems exercise can be unique to the person's anatomy.

I bet targeting the IT band and abductors (glute mede) will work. I do side leg lifts for abductors, but what has been AMAZING for adbuctors has been kneeling on all fours (hands and knees) and lifing one leg at a time out to the side like a dog at a fire hydrant. Seriously, do this with your leg bent, and at the top, kick your foot out and hold for a second before bringing your heal back to your butt. For me at least, this glute exercise, done 2-3 sets every other day, has given me tremendous hip power and mobility and reduced OA symptoms. Maybe it will help with your problem too.

ZAP

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 12:31:28 PM »
Well I tried the 1 leg stair drops and WOW my hip is really weak. I couldn't even go all the way down.  Its my hip for sure because all the muscle in my hip tighten up and right after contraction they ache for a second.   Maybe I don't use those muscles with my other exercises?    Its a little disappointing. It feels like 3 months post op training.

fenceman

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:05:51 AM »
My Dr. recommended that I do not run or have any high impact until 1 yr. after the surgery.  You may have started too soon.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:10:35 AM »
Did you really get the clearance from Dr. Brooks to be running at 4 months?  From what I understand, the bones are likely still remodeling at that point, and you could have been at a serious risk of femoral neck fracture.  Be careful!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »
Andy I personally think it's a hotly debated subject but personally I like the UK surgeons more conservative advice of waiting 12 full months. I'm now 46 weeks and have been putting my hip through some tough workouts but they are all still non or low impact I still don't intend on running for the forseeable future .
I personally think 4 months is way too soon. But then I'm not a surgeon and never will be!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 07:58:39 PM »
Did you really get the clearance from Dr. Brooks to be running at 4 months?  From what I understand, the bones are likely still remodeling at that point, and you could have been at a serious risk of femoral neck fracture.  Be careful!

I don't think anybody indicated that Dr. Brooks gave clearance to run at 4 months.  Like fenceman, Dr. Brooks did my BHR and recommended that I not do any running or impact activities until one year post-op.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

Arrojo

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »
Getting back to the original question, if the muscles are really sore around the operated area, you may have some built up scar tissue.  Look into getting those broken up.  Deep tissue massage, Active Release Technique, Grast9on technique, any kind of myofascial point trigger will help.

Also, you are wise to keep working on the ITB.  And running does a lot with the hip flexors, be sure to do some hip flexor exercises as well.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »
I started running a bit at 6 months and added in some speed work to get in shape for soccer at one yr.  When I first started running (almost everyday for about 2 miles) it felt great and I felt like I was increasing speed, strength, endurance at a pretty good clip.  The I starting getting some pain in the rigth flexor area.  It was much like a light injury from strating a little too quickly in an exercise program.  We have all probably experienced this.  Then at some point you think you can puch it a bit and then the inflammation takes off and you're done for a few weeks.  I got close to that point and backed down.  I stopped running for a few months and then began soccer.  It felt great, but a few weeks in and I'm in a similar position with the right flexor area.

Maybe it's just too soon, too much.  I think running is probably best saved for a few months from now.  Also, I don't think the hip gets weaker post op, It should be getting stronger just from daily use, walking and bone growth. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

ZAP

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »
Getting back to the original question, if the muscles are really sore around the operated area, you may have some built up scar tissue.  Look into getting those broken up.  Deep tissue massage, Active Release Technique, Grast9on technique, any kind of myofascial point trigger will help.

Also, you are wise to keep working on the ITB.  And running does a lot with the hip flexors, be sure to do some hip flexor exercises as well.

You're right!!

You can see it even in my X ray.   So for the last 4 days I've been using the roller after my work outs and before I go to bed with a baseball for my gluts and hip muscles.   WOW!! What  a difference.  I think I had about 8 major knots in my hip and IT band.   I used the roller and baseball before my run today and it was great. I only ran 3 miles, but went hard at the end and finished. I haven't been able to finish that run for about 3 weeks now. 
So it looks like I was just building knots all around my hip and groin to the point I could barely jog at all.

Dee Dee

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 09:08:21 AM »
Zap
What is a 1 leg stair drop.  You mentioned it above.

I am looking for some exercises to help with weakness and soreness. I do Clam shells, side leg lifts from laying on my side, and started the side leg lifts while on all fours. Front leg lifts from laying on my back still hurt in the groin but I am getting stronger there. 

I want to strengthen my hip and get back pain free ROM. 

Thank,
Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 10:04:35 AM »
Hi Dee Dee (jumping in here)... here are some things that my PT did with me to help strengthen the smaller muscles in the hip:

• Take a step (like from a step class?) and step up, one foot, followed by the second, step down one foot then the second - repeat 30 times.
  • Balance on one foot for sixty seconds. Once you can do that with ease, take your shoes off and repeat, once that's easy - take a ball of any size, hold with both hands and describe figure eights in the air in front of you, balancing on one foot for sixty seconds. Add standing on a pillow for instability after that.
  • Get some exercise bands, tie them on your ankles and walk sideways, allowing them to give you increasing tension as you extend.
  • If you feel up to it, get a slide board, it simulates skating and has helped quite a bit.
  • Get a pilates ball and do reverse planks - lay on your back, put both heels on the ball, raise up so you are balancing on your heels and your shoulders. At first I could do only 5 or 10, eventually get to 3 X 10 repetitions. This really helps your core.

I'm sure people have more, stephen has been using the slide board, and here is a link for a sample set of exercise bands. No need to get expensive or fancy, you can get them at sports places or online:

http://www.amazon.com/Aylio-Fitness-Exercise-Anchor-Medium/dp/B0026PMD70/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349100072&sr=8-2&keywords=exercise+bands

Pilates ball:

http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Total-Body-Balance-Ball/dp/B000VDXFU8/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1349100152&sr=1-7&keywords=pilates+ball

Again - not promoting any of these specific items, any ones will work, but as an example.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:15:25 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ZAP

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 09:40:14 PM »
Zap
What is a 1 leg stair drop.  You mentioned it above.

I am looking for some exercises to help with weakness and soreness. I do Clam shells, side leg lifts from laying on my side, and started the side leg lifts while on all fours. Front leg lifts from laying on my back still hurt in the groin but I am getting stronger there. 

I want to strengthen my hip and get back pain free ROM. 

Thank,
Dee

1. Stand on step as if you're walking down to the floor (use bottom step) 

2. Stand on leg with bad hip and with the other foot, slowly (very slow)  drop down to floor, bending your bad leg, keeping your good leg, posture and back straight.  If you can't make it to the floor, just go as low as you can.

3. Once you get good at it, drop foot down, touch the floor (heel) and bring it back up to the stair in normal standing position.  (SLOW MOVEMENT)

You might need to hold on to something  or touch the walls for balance, but as your hip and IT Band gets stronger you should be able to do it with hands by your side or in front of you. 

You can also do this side ways:

1. Stand on the stair with bad hip, facing wall or stair rail so your good leg hits the floor. 

The key to these exercises are slow movement. If you move to fast, you end up cheating.   

Once you start getting stronger, you can find higher steps, benches, box, etc.    I've been doing them for about 6 months now and I still haven't moved from the stairs. I just do more sets or hold weights in my hands.  I've been told, its better for your hip to increase the height of the step because you're increasing the range of motion.   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:45:16 PM by ZAP »

morph

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 05:45:18 AM »
That's a good set of excercises there Hern.

I found Hip hikes are good for the Glute Med too and I suppose the next stage to standing on one leg. Similar to what Zap said, standing bad leg on a step, side on. Hold onto something like the railing. From the Pelvis ONLY, lower and raise the hip and leg so that the good leg is lowered and raised. This may be difficult and there may be a tendency to use your back muscles to raise the hip and leg.  Focus making sure form is correct. You should feel it on the side of the standing leg. It is the Glute medius job to stabilise the pevis when standing on one leg i.e when walking. If weak, other muscles like the back could be used and a limp may occur.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

ZAP

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
That's a good set of excercises there Hern.

I found Hip hikes are good for the Glute Med too and I suppose the next stage to standing on one leg. Similar to what Zap said, standing bad leg on a step, side on. Hold onto something like the railing. From the Pelvis ONLY, lower and raise the hip and leg so that the good leg is lowered and raised. This may be difficult and there may be a tendency to use your back muscles to raise the hip and leg.  Focus making sure form is correct. You should feel it on the side of the standing leg. It is the Glute medius job to stabilise the pevis when standing on one leg i.e when walking. If weak, other muscles like the back could be used and a limp may occur.

Its more like a "one leg squat" then just dropping you're hip.    I was just trying some now, I realized its pretty hard not to hold on to something or use wall for balance.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear