+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Too young for a THR?  (Read 65059 times)

Anna

Re: Too young for a THR?
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2012, 04:58:45 PM »
Hey Kayeah,

How has your THR affected you for life? What problems do you still have and what are your restrictions? I suppose everyone is different. As Sally said, Nick Skelton had a hip replacement and a year later he won olympic gold in the show jumping! Theres always hope ...... but I suppose you have to expect the worst and prepare for all eventualities so you wont be dissapointed.
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

phillwad

« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2012, 11:23:05 PM »
Does that mean we should all take up show jumping? As I heard just today :-

"Horses - dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle"

Anna

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2012, 02:27:26 AM »
True Phillwad, but also fun ..... and fun things are always worth doing no matter how uncomfortable!  :)

Spanielsal

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2012, 11:40:26 AM »
Live life, Go Anna!  just make sure it isn't too uncomfortable!
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

kayeah

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »
Well, THR is unique to each individual, so restrictions vary as well. I am unable to wear any sort of heel. I could probably wear 1/2 inch for a while (less than 4 hours definitely, maybe less than 2) as it pitches me into an uncomfortable position and aches all down my lower legs along the outside. I also don't try to ride bicycles as it thunks, but again I doubt yours would. I am generally weaker so walking up steps and down them is more concentrated. I guess the things I could mention about restrictions, as I try to write them may mostly stem from the wrong hip replacement for me which doesn't affect others as it would me. You could ask your doctor about the heel thing, as at your age that is a great big issue for some, but not in the big scheme of things where it would preclude you from going through THR. I believe from watching others have the minimally invasive surgery for THR that the muscles bounce back much easier as they are handled differently than the traditional method with a long incision. I would find out from Dr. if you are a candidate for minimally invasive for sure at your age. I will not expound on my restrictions here as they will not be the same for you, and therefore do not apply to you. The doctor should be very forthcoming though with what he has seen patients experience in the past from your type of THR incision and also the implant chosen. Let us know how you get along after!

Anna

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2012, 07:15:56 PM »
Kayeah,

I would absolutely love any excuse not to wear heels!!!!!! That really is just not a factor that I would even think about. Im more bothered about the pain, my quality of life and restrictions.

Thanks for your help Kayeah, I will definately keep you updated  :)

Mike D

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2012, 04:09:08 PM »
From what I've seen at York Races, not many women can wear heels for long anyway!
By the end of the day they all look like its hurting really bad-not that I've tried them myself of course.  :o
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »
Ha i remember York Races well! There are always some interesting sites at the end of the day! ;D
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

kamoynsgi

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2012, 05:02:59 PM »
Hi Anna Sorry you had such a dissapointing response from your most recent consultation.  Try and see the main 'man' it makes such a difference, and in my experience just gives you  more  confidence in the prognosis. February will be here in no time.   I am 12 weeks out now and just feeling so much better - and so will you  :) Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

Anna

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »
Ha, of course not Mike!  :o

Thanks Ka, im glad everything is going well for you :)

Anna

« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2013, 05:07:19 AM »
Hey all,

Just thought I'd say a quick hello and update you on my journey. Its been exactly one year since I decided it was time for my THR and asked to be referred to the surgeon ....... I have moved nowhere. People keep telling me that we are lucky in the UK to have the NHS but I really cant see any positives right now. I haven't heard from my surgeon in 5 months and when I ring I just get told that im 'on the list'.

Physically, my right hip has pretty much gone in my opinion and my left is on its way out too now. Although I keep wondering whether it can get any worse .... it seems it always can. I got off the turbo trainer at home the other day, swung my bad leg over the back and as my leg was at its highest, my hip just made a cracking noise and hurt like mad! I was stuck for a couple of minutes with my leg on top of the bike till I eventually had the courage to try move it. Its been hell ever since so I've no idea what I have done to now :(

I pretty much live my life counting down the days till I can go biking as its the only thing I can do now that I love. I don't think that's really a way to live... but at least I have something. I'm really not sure what I would do without my bike! My friends all seem to have disappeared .... I'm not sure whether its because they want to do fun stuff that I cant do, or whether its because I'm just grumpy and not much fun to be around anymore. One of my best friends on new years eve told me he thought I put on my pain when I wanted to ... if only! I wish everyone could spend a day in my body just so they could understand.

Anyway, I gotta stop moaning as its day off today which means I get to play on my bike .... lets hope I can get off it this time!

Hope you are all well,

Anna x

Marco Polo

« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2013, 08:38:38 AM »
Anna - I am sorry to hear that you are continuing to experience pain while waiting for a solution. I hope you have a brilliant bike ride today!
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

hernanu

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »
Anna, I really feel for you.

People don't understand at all what it's like. There's no outward sign of our injuries, and when people hear about the pain, their eyes glaze a bit, lacking understanding. It is a lonely thing.

I had plenty of people evaporate on me. Some, including family offered to help during and after the recovery, but were not there when the rubber hit the road. I really had only four people who were there throughout; two of those were my parents, one was a cousin and the last a friend who although living in another city, called often and traveled to meet me. The remainder happily greeted me at parties so long as I was smiling.

It's really not the physical help, but the understanding that is lacking. Before the operation it's not believing you are in severe pain and the irritation that you see in their eyes. It's why seeing spouses on here periodically is such a great thing - you know there's one more good support for a hippy. 

Your friend who thought you could put your pain on is being an ass. If he walked a mile in your hips he'd be cringing in pain and whimpering like a tiny little girl.

Being grouchy is part of being in pain, unfortunately. You can only carry a happy tune for so long while someone is chopping at your hip. Some times you just have to vent or be ticked at the situation. It's normal.

I'm glad you have biking, it's good to have that outlet while you wait.

The snap on your hip could be a muscle pull, seeing as one of the things that happen is that our muscles become incredibly tight. If so, let it rest as much as possible and see if the pain subsides.

I probably don't fully understand. A year ago you started things, you are on a list, but not scheduled for a procedure yet?  Seems like there should be some path forward, but don't know enough about it. Are there any advocates in the health system that could help?

You'll get there, Anna - don't let this drain that huge spirit I've always seen. I know it's a low time, but when you get scheduled and go through, it will be much better.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Mike D

« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2013, 04:05:41 PM »
Hi Anna,
 I've been wondering how you've been getting on, I feel for you trying to make your way through our system.
I don't think I've heard of anyone on here that has a straightforward route through the NHS.
5 months without progress is bad news. I remember that you had a really good GP who helped you a lot- is there any chance they could push your case again and try to get a date for you?
I hope you hear something soon.
I'd have to agree with hern about the grumpiness, when I look back how fed up and depressed I was with OA pain a year ago it makes me feel sad that I was such a miserable bugger around the house.
I can only see it now that the pain has gone,though.
Your mate that said you can turn the pain on and off has no idea how it makes you feel-like you say, if only!
All I can say is keep looking forward to the day when things change for you,Anna.
Keep pushing our silly system as hard as you can and keep coming on here for some support-everyone here knows what you're going through.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Anna

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2013, 03:35:51 AM »
Thanks guys, I had a good day biking  :)

Hern, you always manage to put into words what I am thinking :)

Hopefully my injury is just a muscle pull. Fingers crossed. I think I will have to go back to my GP. He did say he was willing to ring up and see what was going on but said it probably wouldn't do much difference. I just cant believe how long everything is taking. Its so frustrating. I feel like I've just been waiting for the postman everyday for a year. That's the hard bit. I could do with booking a week on a beach but I know as soon as I book it, I will get an appointment and either miss it or lose the money on my holiday! I'm just living in limbo. If they gave me a date a year away, at least I could make plans and try enjoy myself.

I guess everyone will just have to get used to me being grumpy for a while longer!!!

Anna

hernanu

« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:03 AM »

I guess everyone will just have to get used to me being grumpy for a while longer!!!

Anna

Damned straight Anna!!! Do what you need to do, your time is coming.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anna

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »
Thanks Hern :)

Anna

« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »
NEWS!!!!!! I HAVE NEWS!!!!!!!!

I got a call today. I'm booked in for my right THR on Tuesday 16th July! FINALLY!!!!! So very excited. Hopefully it will be the start of a pain free life :)

Its only take me 14 months of fighting with the NHS! I'm exhausted. Lets hope the appointment doesn't get changed or cancelled now. I don't know the full details yet and I'm going to email my surgeon for some advice etc as I still don't know what device he will be using but he's one of the top, if not the top dysplasia surgeons in the UK so I'm pretty sure I am in safe hands.

London bound on 2 1/2 months! Whoop whoop. Best get prepared  ;D

Anna

bilateralbliss

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2013, 08:40:54 PM »
At last!! :) who`s doing yours?
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Anna

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2013, 07:42:11 AM »