+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pneumonia Risk of Implant Infection Months After BHR's?  (Read 3470 times)

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Pneumonia Risk of Implant Infection Months After BHR's?
« on: September 26, 2012, 08:16:09 AM »
I know dental work and other invasive procedures present a real risk of implant infection and are accompanied by antibiotics for the rest of a hippy's life.  I am 7 months on for one BHR and almost 1 year on the other.  Have searched here on the web to determine if pneumonia is a late stage recovery risk, because I've got a pisser of a chest cold that is not clearing up, (similar to one that ended up being treated as pneumonia a few years ago) and I'm paranoid given the BHR's and infection risk generally, that I might be starting to show some symptoms of pneumonia this time.

Before I call the GP and ask for antibiotics (which are useless for a normal chest cold based on published studies), I thought I would query the many HR Ph.D's here to see if anyone can shed light on this.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

obxpelican

Re: Pneumonia Risk of Implant Infection Months After BHR's?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:37:43 AM »
I've never heard of pneumonia causing an infection on a HR, or ear infections for that matter.

I would call your doc and ask.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dan L

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:51:42 AM »
Thanks Chuck, appreciate the feedback greatly

Dan

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 10:37:37 AM »
Hey Dan, according to this paper from the international journal of medical sciences, these are the bacteria associated with hip joint infections:

(source: http://www.medsci.org/v06p0234.htm )

Streptococcus Pneumoniae is one of them, but it is not mentioned as one of the causes of prosthetic joint infection(PJI); rather it's as native joint infection (NJI). One of the bacteria in the list is linked with two types of pneumonia, but less common types. Still worth talking to your doctor about.

The bacteria identified as causing prosthetic joint infections (PJI) in this study are:

• Staphylococcus aureus - Staph infection, MRSA, etc.
  • Coagulase negative staphylococci
  • E. Coli
  • Pseudomonas aeruginosa - Community acquired pneumonia and ventilator pneumonia

The main thing to look at both a bacterium's ability to infect the area and pathways to get there. It is treatable by antibiotics (since it's a bacteria, common cold is caused by viruses), so identifying it early is probably important. Like Chuck says, it's always good to check with the doctor. 

The paper does say that prophylactic use of antibiotics was very effective in preventing infection, so our popping antibiotics before dental work, etc. is effective.

I had a bad experience with a cold turning into pneumonia a long time ago. Being a type A personality, and being of course invincible while working as an independent consultant, I ignored a cold, which turned into bronchitis, which I ignored (I had to work, deadlines, schedules, my overactive ego), which turned into rampant pneumonia.

I kept hacking and working until I was in front of my computer (my ego enabler, that is) and leaned forward, heard liquid sloshing inside of my chest as I moved. That morning I had felt pressure on my chest and some numbness in my arm which went away when I sat up, so naturally I went to work. This time I knew that this was probably not good, so I stopped at an emergency room. The doctor was horrified to see a black area where my left lung would be in the X-Rays, and then she told me that due to scarring from the pneumonia, my perfectly good lung had collapsed, the chamber had filled with fluid and was pressing down on my heart.

Being the good patient that I am, I told her to fix it, I had schedules to meet, people to see and money to earn. She gave me her best incredulous look and said I needed immediate surgery and a hospital stay, at which point I freaked. She was the soul of kindness and I later apologized, but I did have surgery through my left rib cage, inserted a metal tube to drain the excess and a week's stay until the lung re-inflated. 

I emerged slightly more knowledgeable, a bit more patient and attentive to my body and thoroughly ticked at myself for not taking the time to rest and allow my body to clear the initial cold. Since then, I pay real attention to colds, and even though I  am still a type A, the experience showed me that an initially mild cold could slap me into the ground eventually.

Even if it is a minor risk for infection to the hip, I always pay attention to chest issues since then (this was long before that @#!$% OA entered my life).

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:41:06 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dan L

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:33:06 AM »
Her;

Holy sh*t.  Can't thank you enough for the detailed response and sharing of what you know and what you have experienced.  The BHR's have been such a positive improvment for me, I'm really not looking for any kind of risks at all, so I'm calling in immediately.  Even as unlikely as pneumonia is to cause a prosthetic infection as your data mentions, a tube and collapsed lung is definitely not in my plans for my 1 year BHR anniversary next week!

The hacking in front of a computer thing is exactly what I'm facing the past few days, and trend and mucosal observations the past 2 days (after feeling better late last weekend) are not at all encouraging, and are now down right scary.

You're a great egg, thank you so much.

Dan

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »
No problem, Dan - take care.

toby

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 05:46:25 PM »
Dan,
Whilst you are right to be vigilant, but just because one has an infection doesn't mean it will automatically go to the hip. I've had a terrible year following an Achilles Tendon rupture, deep wound infection with Ecoli, Enterobacter faecalis and another I can't remember-I was in a critical condition had emergency surgery and 4 debridement surgeries to clear it up. In July I had Achilles reconstruction surgery-everything was going well until 3 weeks ago-back in hospital with extreme bout of Cellulitits (I'm stupid knew things weren't right-I'm a teacher just kept going cos of my responsibilities to students, colleagues, schedules  etc just like Hern describes and let things get critical again!). This time I was infected with Staphs and Strep-had intrevenous I/V for 5 days and oral for 7 and still recovering. Again I've neglected myself and hopefully- luckily, my wonderful HR seems to have survived! But I'm sure going to be more careful in the future. So yes of course be cautious, but millions have had hip replacements, and the vast majority have survived all types of infection without it affecting the hip- so I guess I'm trying to say that one must keep balanced about the concerns.
Regards
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 09:53:21 PM »
Very true toby, thanks for emphasizing that. The basic thrust of the paper and the information above is that pneumonia doesn't have an easy path there, so the only significant  bacteria that threaten an artificial joint are the two that are tied to less common pneumonias.

I'm glad that the hip is fine, and that you withstood that infection. I remember your achilles tendon, glad that that has stood up, sometimes you get dealt some bad cards (we know about that ). 

I was all over myself after the thing with my lung happened, but I finally came to forgiving myself for being careless. You've gotta trust that you were doing what you thought right, even though in retrospect you can do better. The best thing to do is to learn from it and carry that with you.

How are you feeling now?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:55:13 PM by hernanu »

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 03:44:01 PM »
Good piont Toby and thanks for the details about your bout with bacteria.  I think that's a good sign for us hippies, in that indeed a common bacterial infiection in the body doesn't mean we'll get in the hip.

Thanks Hern for the details in the bacteria commonly associated with joint prosthesis.

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

toby

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 06:06:36 AM »
Hern,
Thanks for you good wishes.
I'm working hard getting over the cellulitis as it causes tremendous stiffness, soreness and lymphedema for several weeks I'm told and can verify. It's been a great pity as I was making a very good recovery from my July tendon reconstuction surgery-I was after 8 weeks beginning to walk properly pushing off the toes for the first time in a year-so I've taken several steps back. However, my consultants are confident that I will get there gradually. My frustration is that I'm still nurturing a small open wound(previously a section of the skin graft-opened during the surgery) so I still can't get in the pool-hopefully another 3 weeks and I will.
Anyways, a couple of thoughts for fellow hippies although I've mentioned this on my story... Firstly, trust me HR surgery and recovery is a breeze compared to achilles tendon ruptures. Secondly, when you get your brilliantly working new hips don't blow it like me-after 18 I could do everything again-running, biking, swimming, diving etc and was stupid enough to return to the squah court after 20 years but stupidly did not warm up!
Regards
Toby

Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM