+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 Months Post Op - First Run  (Read 2455 times)

stephen1254

6 Months Post Op - First Run
« on: September 26, 2012, 01:42:33 PM »
I was apprehensive about running again but I shouldn't have worried. I wasn't concerned about the implant but I didn't know how the cut muscles would work. This morning I ran for the first time since last November 19 and it felt perfect. I don't know how far I ran or how long I ran, I just ran. No issues at all and everything feels fine.

Thumbs up to the Hoka One One shoes. Not only does the cushioning seem to ease the impact, but the design of the shoe promotes a mid-foot landing. I try to always land mid-foot, but I noted the few times I landed more towards the heel the shoe just rocked forward onto the mid-foot. Very cool.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: 6 Months Post Op - First Run
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »
Wow!  Congrats...that's really awesome!  I still can't run long without discomfort, so I'm happy for you on this.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Arrojo

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 01:51:45 PM »
Welcome to the virtual Surface Hippy Running Club! 
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

stephen1254

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 01:56:07 PM »
2nd run this morning. I followed the same route I did Wednesday - it's probably 3 to 3.5 miles - but this time I ran nearly the whole way, and just walked in a few places. I felt fine - no soreness, stiffness, or swelling.

Cardio has really taken a beating in the last 10 months though, and it doesn't help that I'm running at 6200' elevation. What's odd is that it's a real struggle for the first five minutes or so, and then my breathing gets much easier. On my way back from this run I ran up a pretty steep, pretty lengthy hill, and my breathing was easier than when I ran down the same hill to start the run. Don't really understand that.

One thing that I feel is a handicap is my inability to train legs with heavy weights. My doctor has cleared me to do squats with up to 50 lbs, but that isn't enough weight to really fatigue them. I figure another 6 months at 50 lbs and then I'll start adding weight. That will help with the running.

I am doing a lot of other exercises for the legs including, biking, hiking, and pedal kayaking. In the last few weeks I've added a slide board and a Skier's Edge machine every other day, and that has to help with the strength.

Plans for now are to build up the run to maybe 5-6 miles, 3 times a week, over the next 2.5 months. I'll then switch over to cross-country skiing for cardio, snow gods willing, and start running again in the spring. While I don't have any concern about running that much on the new hip, I am paying attention to the old hip. The x-rays show considerable deterioration in the cartilage there but I don't have any pain, and just a very slight reduction in ROM to the side, not enough to bother me. In any event, simply the fact that my body is moving up and down when I run now, instead of lurching from side to side, has got to help everything on the non-bionic side. And if I have to get the other hip done at some point in the future at least I've been able to run again. No complaints.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »
It sounds like a great plan.  I miss XC skiing  but I've had a lot of injuries and I gave away all my ski gear both XC and downhill a few years ago.  I had a great run this morning in my NY mountains.  First road runs in years thanks to the new hips and the Hoka's
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat