+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: First (out patient) Physical Therapy today  (Read 2134 times)

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
First (out patient) Physical Therapy today
« on: October 01, 2012, 07:47:31 AM »
So excited. No migraine last night and today is my first physical therapy outside of the house. Woo

hoo!! Wish me luck!!

P.S. Plus I'm driving myself! First time in 20 days!!
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

hernanu

Re: First (out patient) Physical Therapy today
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »
Good luck guy, remember to ice afterwards, your muscles will be sore.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Mr.Box

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »
Congrats Hoyt! I'm happy you are feeling so well. They won't let me drive till 4 weeks post op ( Bilateral and I drive a manual ). Though, I have a funny feeling I'll be driving into my appointment to get cleared to drive ;)
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Awesome.  I think it will help you a lot.  Report back in after....
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hoyt66

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »
Just got home from pt. It went really well. I like the therapist as he seemed to be very knowledgeable about hip surgeries. I told him about the over aggressive home therapist and he

said not to worry, all my exercise will not exceed what I feel is a "4" on the pain scale. So no matter what he wants it to be a "4" at the most. If it is we'll scale back, if it's not we'll ramp it up a

bit. Sounds good to me! Time for ice and a nap

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 03:41:16 PM »
That sounds just right, especially at this stage in the game.  Good job.  I really enjoyed PT, my PT was really knowledgeable about hips and he knew a lot about HR.  I liked doing the exercies and at the same time discuss HR.  I learned a lot. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

cliff

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:27:05 PM »
Good job Hoyt, its funny how some surgeons suggest out patient pt and others dint, such as mine, he does not send his patients to Pt as he says if you stay on your exercise program that placed with you and you walk,walk, and more walk the body will adjust and repair itself. I know for it has worked so far, the doctor actually called me today to see how I was feeling especially after my clunking episode yesterday.

hoyt66

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 05:45:41 AM »
Good job Hoyt, its funny how some surgeons suggest out patient pt and others dint, such as mine, he does not send his patients to Pt as he says if you stay on your exercise program that placed with you and you walk,walk, and more walk the body will adjust and repair itself. I know for it has worked so far, the doctor actually called me today to see how I was feeling especially after my clunking episode yesterday.

...what clunking episode?

cliff

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Hoyt, the other day as I was taking a shower and actually feeling pretty good I shifted my weight a little more then usual and I felt what was a clunk in the front of my groin area, I put a call into the surgeon and he called back and said its normal. He expalined that after surgery from all the muscles and tendons being strecthed what happens is the tendon is actually sliding over the implant and until they shrink back to hold the joint together it is normal. he said some people notice this up to 6 months and some 8 weeks so time will tell.

hoyt66

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 02:05:52 PM »
Hoyt, the other day as I was taking a shower and actually feeling pretty good I shifted my weight a little more then usual and I felt what was a clunk in the front of my groin area, I put a call into the surgeon and he called back and said its normal. He expalined that after surgery from all the muscles and tendons being strecthed what happens is the tendon is actually sliding over the implant and until they shrink back to hold the joint together it is normal. he said some people notice this up to 6 months and some 8 weeks so time will tell.

Got it. I have some clunking going on. It's gotten better but still there.

hoyt66

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »
Pt is going good! I feel awesome today (day 23)! Took my Dodge Challenger out for a ride today!

It's a manual and it felt awesome. I think I could even ditch the cane but I'm going to wait until the

therapist says it's time.

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »
Good going hoyt! nothing like the feeling of getting everything back.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Mr.Box

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 08:47:54 AM »
Cliff and Hoyt. Just wanted to say I've got the clunking to going on in my hips also at this stage of the bilateral. I had a condition called femoral acetabular impingement prior to the surgery where the bones grow into what they call " cam and pincer " impingements. ( In short, the bones grow to halt the joint's ability to move to slow the damage being caused )

Since the surgery I've clunked more than the tin man from OZ. I've been told this is normal and will go away with constant exercise as my muscles will shrink around the physically smaller device / hip joint. Otherwise, I'm going to have to carry around a can of lube and paint myself silvery.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 04:19:11 PM »
Yes indeed, quite normal.  I forgot to mention how long it lasted for me on the scar post.  I actually still get a little clunking, but it seems to be only when I shift my weight when standing in a certain way.  Otherwise it happens way less than it used to. 

Something else to keep in mind, you guys are not quite there yet, but after you start getting back to your active selves at several months post op, you may have an episode of "squeaking".  It's actually not an audible squeak, but more of a light vibration when moving the hip, as if there is no lube.  Not a very comforting feeling.  This is quite common, its usually assumed to be caused by dehydration and maybe excessive use of the hip.  There are triathletes that have never had it happen, so the excessive use scenario might not be very accurate.      The reason I mention it, is that I would not have known about it, or how to deal with it, if I hadn't been on the forum.  Anyway, lots of water and some rest and it goes away.  I've had it once on each hip and the next day its gone. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Mr.Box

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Tin. I've heard about the squeaking before, just thought that was for ceramic joints.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal