+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Weight lifting and myths?  (Read 5825 times)

jamesb_

Weight lifting and myths?
« on: October 06, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »
Hi all,

Just joined this forum to ask a few questions to see what others thought..

Basically at the age of 17, I had a right BHR by Dr. Treacy.. 6 years on I am pain free and virtually at 100% with mobility, although I don't jog or run on it..

I cycle and swim and I am quite in to resistance training, not doing MASSIVE amounts of weight but just like to keep in shape and maybe put on a few pounds..

I wanted to know if by any means this is reducing the longevity of the hip?

For example I do squat a small amount of weight.. Will this have adverse effects? (Perhaps up to 40kg) Because obviously I do not want to be giving the BHR any reason to fail sooner.

Also will any upper body exercises put a strain on it? Such as carrying the weights from the rack to the bench etc?

I know that the joint is supposed to be naturally lubricated, but I am not sure if this helps? Perhaps I should just keep to cycling and swimming? What are your thoughts?

And is it true I will definitely need a revision at some point because all replacements will fail?

Many thanks for your time all.

Dannywayoflife

Re: Weight lifting and myths?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 02:22:20 PM »
Welcome James! I take it your surgeon was Mr Ronan Treacy? He was my surgeon too. If it were me I would crack on and squat! If in doubt ask Mr T!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »
Hey james, welcome to the site!

As Danny says, you've got a great surgeon, are six years along with no problems, I'd think you could do just about anything you want.

Check with Mr. Treacy's office, but I know there are several people on here who have gone back to competitive weight lifting, so lifting a moderate amount should be no problem.

Personally I'm not doing squats (no reason not to, just happen to do other things), but have for at least a year and a half been doing leg presses. I'm still keeping it very light (~250 lbs), with many reps. Upper body I've had no problem going back to the same amounts as before. I have no problem carrying 50 lb plates to the bench to press. I also do barbell workouts, have had no problems with up to 45 lb weights.

My own belief is that some weight lifting is necessary to strengthen the bones, so it should be just fine.

As to the failure / revision of an HR - there is a possibility of it, but for most of us it seems to be far off. The statistics look real good, but only go as far as 10 years now, with some people out to 20 years. This is a young technology, so we are the ones on the cutting edge.

I choose to believe that my two HRs will last forever. On my hips, that is. If I find out otherwise later, that's life in the fast lane. I plan to enjoy the hell out of them, and if they're revised, to enjoy the hell out of that.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

phillwad

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:39:13 PM »
I am just past a year after my second hip and got a full release.  After quizzing the assistant about can I do this or can I do that he simply said "full release do what every you want - there are no restrictions"  Having said that I lifted weights this morning but mine is much more general fitness and keeping weight off.

Go for it and stay smart

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat