+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Allopurinol for gout  (Read 2244 times)

VancouverWA

Allopurinol for gout
« on: October 07, 2012, 11:32:47 PM »
I had gout flare up for the first time about three weeks ago, and just started taking Allopurinol to reduce the amount of uric acid in my system Saturday 10/6.

The funny thing was, tonight (Sunday 10/7) I had my first case of 'hip squeak' in my BHR joint (right hip)

Is the Allopurinol drying out the BHR?  The pharmacist said to drink plenty of water with the medication, and I have been.  Has anyone had or heard of any issues re: Allopurinol affecting a BHR?
Right BHR 07/27/2011

VancouverWA

Re: Allopurinol for gout
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:17:07 PM »
So I went to see my primary care physician, and he said the squeaking is unrelated to the Allopurinol.

Has anyone had squeaking happen suddenly?  I am post surgery 14+ months and it seems kind of odd that it is showing up now.
Right BHR 07/27/2011

Baby Barista

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:43:25 PM »
Not to knock your PCP, but how would they have any idea whether the drug contributed to the squeaking?

It seems to follow logic that if you're asked to drink more water while taking the drug, it's because it causes you to excrete more water. Thus, it's possible that you're slightly dehydrated. As many on this forum have posted, that can lead to squeaking. Hopefully it does away soon.  :)
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

VancouverWA

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:31:36 PM »
BB, I think you are correct.  I kept drinking water and electrolytes and the squeaking went away after about 5 days and hasn't come back.

I did get a chance to talk to my surgeon yesterday and he said that happens to some patients occasionally and not to worry unless it persists for several weeks.
Right BHR 07/27/2011

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat