+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cyclocross Racing  (Read 11404 times)

phillwad

Cyclocross Racing
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:55:57 AM »
Got back into cyclocross racing after being released by my Doctor - fun very intense 45 min race on race and in the mud.  Good circuit here in Cleveland - even a group of 50+ of us racing.  Attached is a picture from this Sunday - some parts are more grass some parts have even more mud.  Great exercise
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:06:36 AM by phillwad »

hernanu

Re: Cyclocross Racing
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »
Anything with that much mud has got to be fun. Very cool Phil - how's the hip after?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

lycraman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »
Awesome Phil. I can't wait to get back out on the bike, but I suspect its a few months off for me yet.  How long was it post op before you went out on the bike?  At least I'm making massive progress by using the static bike a couple of times a day.
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

candymanbet

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »
Nice and good luck with the recovery.   I am considering bilateral resurfacing with Dr. Su in New York.  I'm not sure how to post a question on this site, but would like to know if anyone has regrets with resurfacing?  Also, as a tennis player, can you really get back to playing  (in my case) 4.0 tennis?

I can walk with bascially no pain, but if I play golf or tennis, I do experience some pain.  Any insight any of you can give would be appreciated.  Also I have considered going to Dr. De Smet in Belgium - would there be any advantage in doing that?

Thanks

lycraman

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »
Hi Candyman

The choice of an experienced BHR surgeon is absolutely vital for 'guaranteed' success.  Have a read through all the posts on here and the same names keep coming up.  Both Dr Su and de Smet come up regularly and there are sections dedicated to them on the forum.  I think that Pat, who hosts the forum is a happy Dr Smet patient.  I had mine done in Birmingham with Mr Treacy and there was a really nice guy over from Canada on the same operating list as me as he decided that going to the best, most experienced surgeon was a priority.

Have a trawl through all the posts on here, in each section and you'll see that the vast majority of patients are very happy and get back to their sporting life within a year of the operation.
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 10:55:49 PM »
No regrets here, only wish I'd done it earlier. This morning I went through a 40 minute heavy bag martial arts workout, whapping the thing liberally with kicks, punches and knees, then weights, ended with a fifteen minute bike warmdown. No pain, soreness, just tired and happy.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 02:29:00 AM »
Got back into cyclocross racing after being released by my Doctor - fun very intense 45 min race on race and in the mud.  Good circuit here in Cleveland - even a group of 50+ of us racing.  Attached is a picture from this Sunday - some parts are more grass some parts have even more mud.  Great exercise

Suuuhhhhh.......  Weeeeeeet!!  45 minutes of race pace peddling might send me into a vaporlock, I'll stick to 15 minute moto's and a motor hahaha. Looks like fun, looks like a lotta work, but fun ! Good job  8)

Hey candymanbet, This place is the Jackpot for information on resurfacing, Welcome aboard 8)

candymanbet

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. 

Anna

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 01:31:20 PM »
YES!!!!! That looks immense fun! Theres nothing better than the combination of mud and bikes  ;D

So glad to hear the hip is doing well. It gives me hope. Keep the stories and pictures coming.
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

phillwad

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 08:58:55 PM »
Glad you all like the bikes and mud.

I started riding my bike very lightly while I was within 6 weeks, once off crutches I have riden 2 to 4 days a week with a group, building up the distance and intensity but all on the road.  This August - one year after my second hip replacement - I had my 1 year check up and got a "full release - no restrictions".  Just in time to train for cyclocross and to start racing.

Last night I was in Milwaukee and went to Ray's Indoor mountain bike - nothing crazy just a good solid hour of riding and doing drills

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 01:09:15 AM »
phill wad....... I gotta ask, why phillwad ?  You wad it up alot ?  you a crasher ?  Hahaha just curious.
B.I.L.L. originally meant Boy I Love Limping (well plus my name is Bill) Maybe I should change it to Bill Instantly Lost Limp ?
Anyway, just curious what phillwad means  8)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:11:48 AM by B.I.L.L. »

Anna

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 01:04:21 PM »
I think Bill Instantly lost limp is much better  :)

Phill - So you havent been mountain biking for an entire year? Is that through personal choice or doctors advice? Did you not feel safe trying it? That makes me a little sad. Im not sure I can wait a whole year. I have a road bike but it doesnt make me happy like my MTB and all that mud does!

Anna

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »
Anna.....I'm with you on mountain biking...my favorite thing to do.

I got back on the trails at 7 months, no problem.  I am avoiding anything super technical, staying to beginner/intermediate trails.  I am still very cautious about wiping out, which I used to do regularly if I was pushing myself.  Getting back on the trails was the best thing ever!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

phillwad

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 09:20:33 PM »
B.I.L.L. - why PhillWad - just seem to give as much about my name as I wanted.  it is a name I use for a number of accounts.  My two hip replacements, March 2011 and Aug 2011 were done my Dr Brookes in Cleveland (close to where I live).  His recovery is a full year before a "full release" so I decided that I would listen.  Yes I missed doing long distance races and at 56 I know that I need to be a little more careful now.  So right now it is working hard to fully fit - tonight I rowed 10K in a very repectful time so it was a good day

einreb

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 11:28:30 PM »
That's awesome!  I'm trying to piece together a cross bike.

In a vainglorious side-note.... its only cat 5, but in a recent 4 race series I took 1st, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd and the overall 'omnium' Cat5 win a few weeks back.  Roughly 16 months post resurfacing.  I've wanted to race for so long, but the pre resurfacing pain was too much to train right.... I've been training and racing angry and trying to make up for lost time. :)
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »
Congrats, totally vainglorious  ;D and awesome. Great shot, by the way.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:57:47 AM by hernanu »

Anna

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »
YEY! Im glad to see everyone is doing so well with the cycling :)

7 months? Hmmm, I can cope with that if it means I ill be better and pain free ... It just may be a very grumpy 7 months.

phillwad

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »
Anna - not just better but FASTER!

Anna

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »
Zoooooooom 

Thats what we like to hear. Some were saying Oscar Pistorius had an unfair advantage when he participated in the main olympics with his blades .... they will be saying the same about you bionic Phillwad!! Maybe you should steady on a little and give the others at least half a chance before they ban you from competing  ;D

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat