+-

Author Topic: First day back to work  (Read 1541 times)

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
First day back to work
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »
So i'm one day shy of a month and went to work today. I have a desk job with a very soft computer chair. NOT SOFT ENOUGH!!!! My right butt cheek was killing me!!! Even after getting up

and walking around every 45 minutes or so it was still pretty painful. Better now. I'm sure it's just a matter of building up some seat time.
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

lycraman

Re: First day back to work
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »
Hi Hoyt.  Congrats for getting back to work.  I'm taking the opportunity to stay off as long as I can!
Just when you feel that your hip is getting stronger it is the little things that knock you back, isn't it.  Mr Treacy told me that although i could probably drive my car after a couple of weeks or so it would be the pain of the scar site rubbing on the bucket car seat that would be the biggest problem and it looks like you've found the same issue with your work seat.  I drove my car a mile or so up the road to the garage to leave it to be serviced whilst I'm off and in just that short journey my scar was screaming at me!  As I'm on the road for a living I think it's good enough reason for me to put off work for a few weeks yet!

Good luck with your progress and don't make life too hard for yourself.
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:19:58 PM »
Hoyt,

Sitting was really difficult when I started back to work, at about 4 weeks after surgery.  It took a couple weeks for it to work itself out, but was a pain in the ass literally for a while.  Getting up helps some for sure.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »
Hi Hoyt.  Congrats for getting back to work.  I'm taking the opportunity to stay off as long as I can!
Just when you feel that your hip is getting stronger it is the little things that knock you back, isn't it.  Mr Treacy told me that although i could probably drive my car after a couple of weeks or so it would be the pain of the scar site rubbing on the bucket car seat that would be the biggest problem and it looks like you've found the same issue with your work seat.  I drove my car a mile or so up the road to the garage to leave it to be serviced whilst I'm off and in just that short journey my scar was screaming at me!  As I'm on the road for a living I think it's good enough reason for me to put off work for a few weeks yet!

Good luck with your progress and don't make life too hard for yourself.

I hear ya. I want to get back to work since they paid me for the last month while I was off. I also know what you mean about the bucket seats. I have a brand new Dodge Challenger w/leather buckets that I couldn't wait to drive. So this past weekend my wife and I went for a ride. Big mistake. The buckets were killing me and she can't drive a stick. Couldn't wait to get home and get out of that thing! Never thought I'd say that!!
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 05:59:16 AM »
Good for you.  Congratulations on getting back to work.  i never went back, I was a heavy construction carpenter all my life.  When Dr Marwin told me it was time to find a new career, I retired.   It's been great so far.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 06:51:11 AM »
Congrats on getting back to work! I've just been signed off for another month!
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Anna

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 01:36:52 PM »
Ooops, can you buy yourself a rubber ringto sit on?  ;)

Seriously, well done on getting back to work. Sounds like you are doing well. Im sure, like you say, it will get better very quickly.
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 11:31:37 AM »
Congrats.  I took off six weeks, and still struggled once back.  I ended up lowering my chair and leaning back a lot so I wasn't at 90 degrees.  That seemed to help a bit, but time is biggest factor.  It probably took about 6 weeks of progressively sitting up straighter and for longer periods of time.  Just get up a lot for now.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Mr.Box

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 11:44:44 AM »
Part of my work position is to work with the office furniture inventory my client stores on their sites. I've got access to about 2 dozen different types of office chairs and hundreds of them in total. I control the group that delivers and installs all the goodies too! The chair I'm sitting in at home is actually the identical chair I have at work and I've been sitting in this chair for about 2 hours at a time without pain. My work desk also is adjustable in height ( I also do ergonomic re-configurations for individuals and have access to those goodies as well ) I'm kind of itching to get back to work soon.

I also went driving a few times since being home ( against doctors orders ). Even having bi-laterals done, I am completely natural while driving. I drove a total of over an hour the first time ( 70 miles ) and walked around work for about an hour. I was EXHAUSTED! Came home and grabbed a nap.

I'm looking to get out each day and go for a walk while using crutches. I hate doing PT, and rarely do it unless the PT tech is here. I can't wait to get to out-patient PT soon.
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal