+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone have jitters before #2  (Read 3189 times)

Dee Dee

Anyone have jitters before #2
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
I was so ready for #1 that I had no fear of surgery.  I recovered well - no sweling, very small bruise and no cane after 3 weeks.  It felt so good that at my 8 week check up I asked to have the left hip scheduled.  Dr. Gross said I could have the surgery, but that I still has some joint space room and I could opt to do a labral tear repair if I wanted to hold off on resurfacing.  But because of the dysplasia, I would most likely end up back with him in a few years.  My thoughts were why go through 2 surgeries? He supported that.

However, I still have some issues with ROM on the operated hip.  Certain positions(ie S*X) are still giving me issues with pain and catching.  I am slowly getting more ROM but not as fast as I hoped.

I just wanted the operated hip to be closer to 100% before I have the other hip done.  It is making me a little jittery to go through all the process again and have the ROM hiccups.

Can anyone relate?

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

lycraman

Re: Anyone have jitters before #2
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
Hi Dee

Good news about the progress so far but I think only you can know whether you are ready to go through it again.  From what you say it sounds like your first hip isn't totally functioning 100% and if it was me I think I'd like to know that it was rock solid and I had complete range of movement back, ESPECIALLY if it is interfering with your sex life!  Just think how mortifying it would be if you had your second hip done now and the combination of both hips at less than 100% put a complete stop to your sex life ...... UNBEARABLE!!

My advice (for what it is worth, and that isn't very much) would be to really work on getting your first hip fully functioning with exercise and physiotherapy (PT I think you call it) before you go to the next stage. 
Keep us updated on progress ..... on ALL the aspects!!!
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:03:15 PM »
Hey Dee, I can relate. My second was done 3 months after the first, so there was no possibility of excellent ROM, etc.

The kind of support you need will be more than supported by your first hip, if it's like mine. Full ROM didn't come back to me until about nine months or so after the second. It's going to be there, just need to let it heal.

Do you do any stretches? I know at six months, I had started doing light stretches and feel it really helped.

Despite my eagerness for the second, I did get nervous as the surgery got close. It's natural but things went just fine the second time around.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dee Dee

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
I have been to PT and it helped. Stretching forward from standing is no problem - I can touch my hands to the floor - it is the frog leg motions that hurt. I work on stretching that way very carefully.
  • I do the PT exercises and walking 1.5 miles almost every day. 
    Clam shells are getting easier, but there is still soreness. 
    I have weakness and some pain when I lay on my side and bring my knee of the operated leg to my chest, then slowly kick out.  The weight of the leg causes the area in my buttock to ache/hurt. 
    Leg lifts while laying on my back are not easy yet.  There is a catch in the groin area that has lessened but still remains.
    I massage the scar area like PT showed me to loosen any tightness.
I guess I thought I would have more pain free ROM by now.  Unmet expectations are hard to overcome and are probably what is giving me the gitters about doing this all over again.  The left is not near as painful as the right was pre-op, BUT is has started giving me more trouble with buckling and aching.

Dee

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 10:06:45 AM »
Sounds pretty normal, Dee - both the limitations at this point (six months or so) and the raised expectations.

My ROM was about where yours is, I could also touch the ground, but the side stuff was less advanced. I didn't really feel like I was back to a reasonable ROM until 9-12 months along.  I haven't gotten to where I was before the OA in a lot of ways yet (no splits yet), but I feel that at two years I'm a lot closer. I think on the ROM, just let that happen when it does, but keep the light stretching up.

On the muscular thing, I did have twinges at six months. I couldn't bring my knee fully to my chest at the time, so just did what I could. To me, it sounds like some of your muscles are there, some are lagging and some need some TLC and tough love at the same time. You'll get there.

One thing that was awesome after the second was that there was no surgery in the future. Whatever gains I made were permanent. I found that my first hip actually got much stronger in the recovery for the second. I guess PT, exercises, etc. benefit not just the second, but the first becomes fully fit (IMO, of course).

Dee Dee

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:21:38 PM »
Thanks hernanu,

Your frank answer about ROM is helpful.  So many people report their terrific recovery, but I don't hear so many stories about the little problems of recovery.  I will keep working the muscles to get them stronger. 

I like what you said about the realization of no more surgery ahead.  That is a peace that is worth a lot.

Dee

dtmolt

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:41:12 PM »
My resurfacing on my left hip seems to be easier than my right hip resurfacing six months prior.  My doc wouldn't do the second one until six months after the first.  I am now two and a half months post op am doing great.  I was using a cane at one week, walked with no cane at four weeks and started driving at six weeks.  I haven't used pain medication since the day after the operation.  I'm not saying I'm pain free, but it's manageable. 

My doc and I were much more cautious after my first surgery.  It took me twice as long to achieve the above milestones after the first surgery.  I was a little more nervous before my second resurfacing, so I experienced the same feelings you are going through.  Since this will be your second time around, I believe you will get through it better and the recovery will be quicker.  Take care and good luck.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 09:17:57 PM »
That sounds great dtmolt, good first post. I agree Dee, I found the second a bit easier than the first.

phillwad

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 09:27:22 PM »
I had my first done March 2011 and my Doc wanted to wait 5 months before the second.  I was getting back well at 5 months and the idea of having to go back to start again did make me nervous but the improvement I have seen on my first was the encouragement I needed.  Now I better understand how limited my ROM had become and how blessed I am to get it back

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear