+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Hippie -1 Day Out  (Read 2167 times)

AdRoc

New Hippie -1 Day Out
« on: October 11, 2012, 02:01:10 AM »
I'm in the club!

Had my surgery with Dr. Pritchett yesterday, and am no reting comfortably at my in-law's house (they are awesome to take me in for 2 weeks post-op).

So far, the experience has been about what I had expected.  Sore, swollen, bruised.  The spinal block took a bit longer to wear off than I would have liked resulting in my not being able to walk the day of surgery, but it's not that big a deal.

Was up and walking today a couple of times before discharge. First attempt got me sweating, but attempt after that got better and easier.  I'm a little surprise at how well the exercises went, and the increased range of motion I'm already seeing. Of course, with exercises come pain, and I've been keeping on top of it pretty well with the meds. My biggest problem has been vomiting, which is probably due to the oxy. If that's my biggest problem, I think I'm doing OK.

More to come in the days ahead.  Thanks for everyone's support.

AdRoc

P.S.
Can't say enough good things about Swedish Orthopedic Insitute. Fantastic experience all around. Even the food was, dare I say, excellent!

lycraman

Re: New Hippie -1 Day Out
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 04:41:32 AM »
Welcome AdRoc.  Glad to hear it went well and amazed that you are 'home' so promptly.
I can relate to your comment about the spinal block - that was the worst part for me post op, just waiting for that thing to wear off so that I had control of my own legs (and other bits!)
I'm sure that you'll make great progress with you recovery exercises but it is a bit of a roller coaster for most in the first few weeks.  I felt that some days I was fantastic and then next day as if I'd been hit by a truck. I was walking three miles at the beginning of the second week but by the third week I was struggling to walk half a mile and my muscles were screaming at me.  That bad patch lasted a couple of days until I'd stretched those muscles using a static bike and since then it has been an upwards curve (ten miles walking in total yesterday with just a single crutch as a passive aid).  The recovery is different for everyone but it is good days and bad days so be ready for the bad and remember that everybody has been there and you're not alone.  I know it's a cliche but listen to your body and if it says 'give me a break' then have a day on bed and just do some resting.
Good luck.
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »
Hey AdRoc, excellent!

You're right at the start, all good things ahead, but you know there will be a few steps backwards. Lycraman's got it right.

I found that lots of fluids helped (had a mug filled with water next to me at all times), it also makes you get up and walk to fill it and to go to the bathroom after ... your own self induced PT!

Really good to hear that things went well, the first few weeks are your body cleaning house after the surgery and trying like anything to refuel itself. Make sure you keep up with the meds, no need to be in extra pain.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:26:08 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:36:49 PM »
You're home, well at the inlays, already?  I think you have the record.  Congratulations on your new hip.  As hern said, keep drinking water.  Did the doctor give you the exercises from Mr Mcminn?  I think they are the best thing for the bigining of your recovery.  If you don't have them, you can find them on the Mcminn websignt

Again, congratulations on your new hip and your speed in and out of the hospital.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Anna

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:46:50 PM »
YIPPEEEEE!!! Congratulations  ;D
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 03:48:12 PM »
Good job, from a fellow Pritchett hippy.  Yeah I agree, Swedish rocked and so did the meatloaf.  Weird huh?

Along with the water, do yogurt (like Nancies with live culutres) to help get your guts back in shape.  You might already be there by now, but that was huge for me with the oxy issues, right after getting home. 

Woody - I don't recall if those excercise are any different than the standard THR posterier approach exercises for early recovery.  I call them the floor excercise because you lay on the floor for all of them.  Not sure what McMinn proposes. 

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 05:51:54 AM »
I don't know it there is any difference, but here is the link to the video of the exercises.  I did them faithfully for the first few months;

http://www.mcminncentre.co.uk/rehabilitation.html
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

lycraman

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:12:40 AM »
I don't know it there is any difference, but here is the link to the video of the exercises.  I did them faithfully for the first few months;

http://www.mcminncentre.co.uk/rehabilitation.html

Seconded by me. :) :) No gain without putting in the effort and enduring the pain or discomfort
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »
Congrats, Adroc.

Just make it through these first few weeks.....then, smooth sailing. 

Keep posting and let us know how it's going.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

lyn

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 05:59:29 PM »
Congratulations, Take 1 day at a time...thats what I do..lyn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM