+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Going In For Left BHR Next Wednesday  (Read 9451 times)

71sixpack

Going In For Left BHR Next Wednesday
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:39:20 PM »
Been living with pain for 12yrs. I'm now at the point where I can only walk a block or two. Not much rom, can put on my left sock barely, can't do the right one at all. Surgery is being done by Dr. Marchand at South County Hospital in RI.

The stories and personal experiences on this site have been a great precursor for what to expect. I'm so grateful there is a site like this to help people with info and what to expect. I know it's going to be a long road to recovery but I will be so glad when I can walk again. The one thing I want to do (besides get in and out of a car normally), is be able go on a horseback ride with my family. Tried doing it a few years ago and thought my leg was coming off.  Scheduled to have the right hip done near the end of December.  I will try and post progress of my recovery as I go.

Joe

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
Re: Going In For Left BHR Next Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:16:31 AM »
Good luck and keep it posted. Sounds like most of us numpties on here you have suffered too long. I don't know why but there seems to be a recurring theme of people putting it off again and again. 12 Years is a long time to suffer mate hope all goes really well and take it easy afterwards, don't try and run before you can walk.

Jas
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Anna

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 04:52:02 AM »
Good luck Joe, I hope it all goes well for you. I will look forward to your updates when ou reach the other side

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 06:14:11 AM »
Good luck, Joe.  You've put up with the pain for a long time.  You're going to love your new hip.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »
By the way, at first it may seem like a long road to recovery (particularly with having both done).  But if you've been dealing with this for 12 years, I'm putting down 10 bucks (7.71 Euros for our friends across the pond) that your recovery will seem like a blink of an eye.  You'll probably be more capable by March than you've been in years.

Keep posting!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »
Good luck Joe! I had mine done the same way (left, then three months later the right), I can tell you that it's the best thing I've done for myself. Two years down the road and things are going great.

Dr. Marchand has a good reputation, you're doing good things.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

71sixpack

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »
Thanks all for the support, and yes it's been a long time coming. When first diagnosed in 2000 I was told, you need a hip, but you're too young.  It will need to be replaced in 10yrs. Well, Thank God for advances in medicine. Based on advice on this forum I placed my Amazon order for supplies:

Loo extension - Check
Picker Upper thingy - Check
Play Harder 110% Compression Shorts with Ice packs- Check
Bed wedge - Check
Sock Aid - Check (why have I not heard of these things?  I could have been using this for the last 6mos instead of struggling or having my wife help me).

Hospital will be supplying walker so all set there. Now it's just the waiting til Wednesday.

Joe

Anna

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 04:27:57 AM »
Ha, that sounds like an excellent list Joe. I was just wondering myself whether there was an easy way to ice ....  compression shorts sound just the thing! Big ice blocks and T towels are just faffy.  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

kamoynsgi

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 05:00:42 PM »
All the best for Wednesday Joe. 

The picker upper thingy is awesome!  I feel a bit disappointed that I don't need it anymore, so still use it to play with cat.   Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »
Joe, keeping you in mind for Wednesday, good luck.

71sixpack

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 09:13:01 PM »
Getting close now. Slightly nervous, but glad that the arthritis part of the pain will be gone. Got some of the stuff in today. I still can't believe I didn't know about the sock aid gadget. It works like a charm!  Thanks for all the well wishes. Hopefully I can post some good post op results for those still thinking about it.

Joe

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 09:31:54 PM »
Think you will, Joe.

Nervous is normal, one thing we all seem to agree on is the arthritis pain is gone. Not less, not hmm? it was gone for me. 

The thing I found the first time was that once I got in and was in the waiting area, you are in the chute and ready to go. A little nervous, but the care and professionalism takes you through; before you know it, you're beginning sedation and (for me) immediately waking up with a very nice nurse telling you everything went well.

It was that quick for me both times. The first time I woke up (pretty quickly and not groggy), in my room bed. The second time, I woke up in the post op area, with three very cute nurses (around my age, no less) busily taking care of me. I expect and hope that for you.

You'll have pain from the surgery, managed with meds, be up and about and work through the initial walking and exercise, but the thing that kicked me right out of any funk about that is - NO FREAKIN' OA PAIN!!  it was aMaZing.... all those years with that pain kicking my behind... gone.

Nervous is human. You'll be good and eventually, in a year or so... better, so much better.

Just my opinion, but at two years, I can tell you the future is good.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:34:14 PM by hernanu »

phillwad

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »
Joe - think long term, I am 1 year after my second, range of motion has been a huge improvement,  working hard to stretch and increase, love my foam roller to help loosen everything.  My goal is 10 hours of exercise a week - love to bike but I less picky about what, I do work hard to make sure I do.  With work travel I have been to about 20 different YMCA gyms this year so I can attend a spin class or swim in a pool.  You ill be glad when its over - Phill
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:23:03 AM by phillwad »

cliff

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »
Hi Phill,

I am just curious as to when you started to get some ROM back, I am 4 weeks today and I have been happy so far that all the old pain is gone and I'm dealing with the new pain as they say. I have been walking without a cane for the last week but have been dealing with some serious lower muscle back pain and I still can't lift my leg up enough to put a sock on. I will be starting out patient pt again tomorrow, my surgeon does not normally suggest any more then is needed but I seemed to have leveled off and feel as I need more.

Cliff

lycraman

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 03:33:33 AM »
Hi Cliff

I suspect that you are bang on schedule and probably further ahead of many. It is easy to think that your progress is slowing down when the reality is that you're just being naturally impatient!! I am 5 weeks post op today and still can't get my socks on even though I'm walking miles and miles without a stick.  My surgeon is very conservative about post op PT and 'warned me off' having any local physio and advised me to just follow the simple exercises given by the hospital physios.  The only additional work I've done is on the static bike where I'm gradually lowering the saddle and handle bars to normal so that it is very gradually encouraging my leg lift to increase which gently improves my ROM. I have my 6 week follow up appointment on Friday and I am hoping that I'll get the all clear to see my local physio to work on that final push to get my knee towards my chest (not sure I've ever been able to do that though!)

Nice and easy does it...... taking it gradually now ensures that the joint will be fully functional for the next 10 to 20 years, or longer, so what is an extra week or two without socks now?!
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

cliff

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 09:11:06 AM »
Thanks lycraman, as I have followed all the home excercises to a tee and pool therapy as scheduled the thing that has me really concerned is that my lower back is really so sore after a day of activity that when I sit down I cant even get back up without severe stiffness in the back. The hip joint feels real good I just hope that this back stiffness subsides because I have never had this feeling before and i figure maybe there are some stretches that can be done to help it it along.

lycraman

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
Hi Cliff

That is tough as back pain can be so debilitating.  My physio warned me about that sort of problem whilst she was pounding me prior to the surgery. Apparently the sacro-illiac joint can seize up as the bad hip is protected by muscles to avoid the pain.  When the hip is replaced then the it is no longer in pain so the pelvis tries to move normally but the sacro-illiac has seized up with adhesions etc.  Maybe you need to get a bit of work done on releasing the s-i joint and the lower back.  I always felt fantastic after a 30 minute session with my physio (pre-op) when she had been freeing off my lower back.

Of course it might be something completely different!

Good luck.
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 04:32:03 PM »
Good luck Maņana, Joe - check in when you're partially metallic..  ::)

71sixpack

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 05:27:59 PM »
OK, 4hrs post op and I have to say I feel pretty good  :). Have seen PT already and was able to stand up and take short side to side steps.

Pain- not really much at all. Some discomfort in the groin area but nothing serious. All in all I feel pretty good, about a level 1 or 2.  Some light stinging where the incision is but otherwise pretty good.  I'm sure this will change as the initial surgery Meds wear off. haven't had a chance to try out the parts, but that should come tomorrow. Tonight is sleep night. Thanks to all of you for your support, kind words, and guidance.

Joe

71sixpack

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 10:22:42 PM »
About 12 hrs post op now. Very little pain really. I have a dull ache on the backside where the hip is, but I think it's because I've been in one place for awhile.  Nurse gave me a couple Percocet to help. Sounds like Dr Marchand is being conservative for the first night and limiting movement while the drain is in place. I had asked about bending my knees up to bring my feet closer to my bottom or rolling over on the opposite side but the nurse did not recommend it. The care here at South County Hospital has been great. The nurse has been able to answer any question i have and also explaining in detail what is being done or what i am being given. So far I'm very happy and without the sharp groin pain I normally have when I'm laying on my back in bed.  I had a message on my phone from a company that will be setting up a cooling/compression machine when I go home per Dr Marchand's request.  That is above and beyond what I expected.

My 12hr summary so far - 2 thumbs up!

Joe

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM