+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: No more cane!!  (Read 6061 times)

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
No more cane!!
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:35:18 PM »
I had my physical therapy today. My therapist said that while putting me thru the exercises (specifically an agility ladder on the floor. Just walking of course) I looked like a man that didn't

need a cane. We finished with stretches and he handed me my cane and said "carry this out, I think you're done with it unless your body says otherwise." I grabbed it and took off walking!! Woo

hoo!!! Thank you Lord!!!
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

lyn

Re: No more cane!!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »
Thats great Hoyt, are you still limping without a cane? Im going into my 7th week post op and not using a cane anymore but find I'm stiff after getting up after sitting for a while and muscles are a little sore...Im having issues in my groin area on my right hip now...Ill have to have that one done later on...lyn

lycraman

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 03:37:15 AM »
Good news Hoyt - that is another important milestone to celebrate.

Lyn- I can relate to what you say. I am nearly 5 weeks post op and have just given up my stick. I can walk without a limp so long as I walk slowly and deliberately but yesterday I took a 2 hour train journey and really struggled each time I got up from rest. It took 5 minutes until I'd worked off the aches and pains and was back to walking normally (well the new normal for now).

Each step we take is one step nearer to where we are aiming to be - normal activity!
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

Anna

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 04:23:41 AM »
Woohooooo. Let the good times roll  8)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

hoyt66

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 04:40:25 AM »
Thats great Hoyt, are you still limping without a cane? Im going into my 7th week post op and not using a cane anymore but find I'm stiff after getting up after sitting for a while and muscles are a little sore...Im having issues in my groin area on my right hip now...Ill have to have that one done later on...lyn

Lyn,

I'm not limping without the cane but I have to admit I started the first fifteen minutes of my morning today with it until i got the blood circulating. I think I could of went cold without but why?
I'll continue without as long as I am walking correctly. I anticipate some fatigue at the end of the day. I also know what you mean about the other hip needing to be done. My left has been popping since about a month before I had my right hip done. Oh well. another day for that one.

Chet

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 08:23:03 AM »
Another milestone, Hoyt! Congrats.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 08:28:38 AM »
Way to go, Hoyt.  You are doing great.  Keep up the good work!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

hoyt66

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
Good news Hoyt - that is another important milestone to celebrate.

Lyn- I can relate to what you say. I am nearly 5 weeks post op and have just given up my stick. I can walk without a limp so long as I walk slowly and deliberately but yesterday I took a 2 hour train journey and really struggled each time I got up from rest. It took 5 minutes until I'd worked off the aches and pains and was back to walking normally (well the new normal for now).

Each step we take is one step nearer to where we are aiming to be - normal activity!

Lycra,

You and I are on the same time frame...Literally 9/11/12. Keep up the good work!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 03:49:50 PM »
Good job, remember nose over the centerline.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

kamoynsgi

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 04:16:47 PM »
Good progress Hoyt. I saw my Doctor last week and he told me that the stiffness after sitting was 'start up' where your body takes a bit of time to get used to the fact that it has a lump of metal in the hip.   
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 05:04:10 PM »
Congrats, Hoyt.  You're on schedule, it seems, and it keeps getting better!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hoyt66

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 07:40:44 PM »
Well I gave up the cane Friday evening. Woke up Saturday and used it to start  my day (fifteen minutes worth). Washed my car, went shopping with my son, cleaned the garage

etc...Well come 5 pm Saturday evening and it all started to go down hill. Sooo sore. The good thing is I woke up Sunday morning and felt good again. I guess my body was not not

used to walking on its own. Today I was driving home from work and realized I left my cane at my desk. I took it to work today " just in case". I didn't use it but found if I sat to long

(over 45 minutes) I needed to take a couple warm up steps before leaving my cubicle. Doing good tonight but using the restroom in the middle of the night with no cane will be interesting. Maybe I'll take the broom and put by my bed haha

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 08:35:22 PM »
Necessity is the mother of invention, hoyt - you'll be fine, but no problem with Harry Pottering it with the broom  ;D .
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 10:00:24 AM »
I tried using the broom, but the wife uses it to stir her cauldron, so she was a little miffed.....
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 04:49:53 PM »
Ouch!

Hoyt - I had the same thing, the pain/soreness from being on my feet all day, or pushing it a bit.  The great thing is that it generally goes away the next day.  I'm over 1 year out on the right hip and I did it again last night, too much soccer (as opposed to too much cleaning of the garage), I was pretty sore in the front of the hip, getting a slight pull.  Iced and went to bed and I' fine today.  I'll have to take it down a notch and let the thing rest, but at least I'm not in pain for 4 days from OA.   

hoyt66

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 07:47:12 PM »
Ouch!

Hoyt - I had the same thing, the pain/soreness from being on my feet all day, or pushing it a bit.  The great thing is that it generally goes away the next day.  I'm over 1 year out on the right hip and I did it again last night, too much soccer (as opposed to too much cleaning of the garage), I was pretty sore in the front of the hip, getting a slight pull.  Iced and went to bed and I' fine today.  I'll have to take it down a notch and let the thing rest, but at least I'm not in pain for 4 days from OA.

Tin,

I was way better the next day. Did alot of balance exercises on a "half" ball tonight at PT I'm anticipating a rough night.
You play soccer? Wow thats alot of work. My son plays for Michigan State. I never played but love watching.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »
I play soccer with a bunch of young punks in the city league and I haven't quite realized yet that eventhough I have new hips and the surgeon says got forth, I'm still middle-aged and getting older every day.  I either need to find a different, more mellow league, or just stop playing.  Cool for your son to play for college, that's pretty awesome.  One of my boys plays in HS and is doing pretty well, probabaly won't be spending much energy on sports scholarships.  Was vicariously hoping one my boys would want to be an HR surgeon, but don't think that's happening either.   

Good job on the PT and rest.  It's important to keep in mind a little pain or soreness the next day is fine, but it should go away pretty quick.  It's to much if it lasts more than a day or so.  That's what my PT always said. 

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 03:31:04 AM »
Congrats on the no cane.
 Oh yeah and Tin when are you colonialists :P going to call our great game by the proper name. It is Football not soccer, who thought up that name?

Jas
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

lycraman

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 06:50:20 AM »
Oh yeah and Tin when are you colonialists :P going to call our great game by the proper name. It is Football not soccer, who thought up that name?

;D ;D
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

hernanu

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 10:53:41 AM »
Congrats on the no cane.

Jas

I think it was actually... you guys   :D .

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

So don't blame us because the upper classes in the UK thought that was a good name. We just ran with it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal