+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Had my 1 year appointment was told to "give it hell"  (Read 4023 times)

PistolPete

Had my 1 year appointment was told to "give it hell"
« on: October 20, 2012, 08:26:13 AM »
So, I had my 1 year appointment a few weeks early yesterday and met with Dr. Snyder.  He checked my range of motion, strength, scar, and took new X-Rays.  He said that my recovery has been remarkable and that I need to give my hip hell.  He said he's lifted ALL restrictions and said that I can resume my Martial Arts training without any issues or risk.  He even said I could compete in BJJ if I choose.  I asked him about the somewhat lack of flexibility I have in the hip and how it hurts a bit during certain stretches.  He said it was the soft tissue and just needs to be worked out and that the pain isn't a sign that something is wrong.  YEE FRIGEN HA!!!!!!

The thing is I already have been back to training and have been kicking and back to BJJ but going lighter than I normally would so now it's time to build the strength back and move on with my life.

LIFE IS GOOD AND RESURFACING BROUGHT MY LIFE BACK!!!

MaryEllen

Re: Had my 1 year appointment was told to "give it hell"
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:15:58 AM »
Congratulations!!! "Ye Frigen Ha" about sums it up!!  :) Go give 'em hell!!
Mary Ellen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12
Dr. Palmer Stillwater, MN

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 09:18:21 AM »
What a great post to read. Yet another story that shows how different recoveries can be.
Congats,Pete-enjoy unleashing hell on the hip!
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 09:46:02 AM »
Really glad for you Pete! I remember when you got started.

Got the same a year ago and it was reemphasized on my second, Pete. Dr. Snyder cleared the decks.

I've been working on flexibility and strength. I didn't really feel thoroughly good flexibility until about three months ago, but we are all different and I'm sure you'll be there soon. No soreness now from stretching, just the usual tension.

Just as a marker, have been able to do palms to the ground since about seven months post second surgery. That seemed to come first. Then I worked on legs flat, spread in front, with light stretching of the legs. At about 11 months I was able to fully spread the legs, lean forward. At two years now I can do what I did before - chest to the thigh in this position. Still can't do chest to the floor, but getting closer. Kicks - can do all basic kicks into the bag, have not done wheel kicks or jumping kicks, just because it's one of those floor bags that would go flying. The real heavy duty extension kicks (axe kick, crescent kicks) I'm still not doing, but mainly because those seem the muscles that are last to loosen up.

Sounds like you're ready, Pete - give it hell, enough of this heck stuff.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:57:58 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lycraman

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 12:28:31 PM »
That is fantastic news pete and so motivational to those of us who are following your path.  I had my 6 week review yesterday and got my all clear to go on for the next stage with very few restrictions.  Can't wait until I get to the same point that you are at with normal range of movement and absolutely no restrictions.
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »
Awesome pete! I'm so pleased for you mate! I hope these shiny new hips last us a lifetime!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »
Congrats! Time for some sick triangles!
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

PistolPete

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »
Thanks everyone.  The Triangle choke still causes a bit of a twinge but it still is strong for me.  The thing I don't do at all though is close my guard.  That puts the most stress on my hip so I avoid it all cost.  The good thing is that I've never been a closed guard person as I prefer open guard.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 03:13:28 AM »
Hmm that's ineresting pete about open and posed guard. I've always been a closed guard kinda guy as I hate being on my back!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 07:56:33 AM »
Congratulations Pistol.  I hope you've been back to the gym to "give it Hell". 
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

PistolPete

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
Congratulations Pistol.  I hope you've been back to the gym to "give it Hell".

I've already been giving it hell but today I'm going to give it MORE HELL....   HAHA

Danny, I'm not a fan of closed guard because to me it's kind of like stalling.  I can get more sweeps etc. from open guard and can create more space on the bottom so I just prefer it to be open.  Even if we are doing a drill such as king of the guard I will immediately open my guard and go onto my side and try for sweeps or deep half guard etc.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »
Fairone pete. Due to my stocky short legs and general lack of flexibility the open, rubber guard etc isn't really my thing I actually prefer half guard to full guard. Having said that other than my 2 judo classes around 4 months ago I've not been on the mat for over 2 years thanks to theis crappy disease!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

IslandCatt

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »
So, I had my 1 year appointment a few weeks early yesterday and met with Dr. Snyder.  He checked my range of motion, strength, scar, and took new X-Rays.  He said that my recovery has been remarkable and that I need to give my hip hell.  He said he's lifted ALL restrictions and said that I can resume my Martial Arts training without any issues or risk.  He even said I could compete in BJJ if I choose.  I asked him about the somewhat lack of flexibility I have in the hip and how it hurts a bit during certain stretches.  He said it was the soft tissue and just needs to be worked out and that the pain isn't a sign that something is wrong.  YEE FRIGEN HA!!!!!!

The thing is I already have been back to training and have been kicking and back to BJJ but going lighter than I normally would so now it's time to build the strength back and move on with my life.

LIFE IS GOOD AND RESURFACING BROUGHT MY LIFE BACK!!!

As a long time BJJ player and not-so-long time hip resurfacing recipient, I'm very interested to hear about your return to training and competing.

I hope you'll keep us posted.
Anterior LBHR, Dr. Sanders, 9/12/12

rbt2011

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »
Congrats Pete.  Glad to hear you're doing so well. 
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

luann again

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »
Hi Pete!! Congrats! Thanks for letting us know! Glad you are enjoying life again! Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Kiwi

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 03:50:25 PM »
Pete, Great news mate! Really motivational & to get the all clear from the doc in that way is very reassuring.
I'm 5 weeks away from my 1 year mark, but have been doing loads of sports lately - golf, tennis & squash. Confidence in high impact type movements is growing steadily, despite a few flexibility issues. Certainly feel more ready to crank things up now Vs 6 month mark.
Keep us all posted as you "give it hell"!!
Cherz
Kiwi
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

phillwad

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »
Pete - wow what great news - it feels good to be able to compete in what you love.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »
Give it hell.  Although, do it slowly.  I pulled something in the front of my hip from sprinting in soccer (new bounds on the ROM) and it's going to take a few weeks or more to settle it down. 

Congrats on the one-year. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hipnhop

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 11:57:14 PM »
Thats what i like to hear.  Just listen to your body.  When pain comes, and it will, stop.  You can kicksome more ass in a few days.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 10:42:27 AM »
Great News.  Go for it and enjoy.

I moved your story to the Hip Story section. Please keep adding as you get more and more active.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat