+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Had BHR and going for THR this time!  (Read 1579 times)

Toontowngal

Had BHR and going for THR this time!
« on: October 26, 2012, 12:45:18 AM »
I had Birmingham in 2010 and love it. I am female with high cobalt levels. I need to have my right hip done and was hoping to have another BHR but the risk with high cobalt levels would be foolish. Does anyone know what the symptoms are if you have cobalt/chromium poisoning? Also wondering what type of total hip replacement I should get.

Dannywayoflife

Re: Had BHR and going for THR this time!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 03:20:15 AM »
Hi and welcome. Firstly I would find out why your metal numbers are high! I'd wager that your cup is at a high angle. BHR's just don't give you these high metal readings if they are put in right. High figures are generally a symptom of edge loading.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

lycraman

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 04:35:19 AM »
Hi Toontowngal.  Judging by your name it sounds as if you're from Newcastle?  If you are then I think Mr Holland is the surgeon locally who has the resurfacing experience and might be worth talking to?
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 04:58:40 AM »
Lycra man is right. Jim holland in Newcastle is an exellent surgeon with a lot of experience. Or if you don't mind a slight journey to see the best there is Ronan Treacy at the royal orthopaedic in Birmingham
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Mike D

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 02:47:35 PM »
Hi Toontowngal,
If I had the chance of BHR over THR, I'd definately take it.
If you haven't already, have a look at some of the old posts on here and it tells you that as Danny says, properly installed BHR's do not fail. That takes the metal ion issue out of the picture but it has to be done by a surgeon of great experience so Mr Holland definately qualifies there.
If you do opt for THR, make sure it's large ball and you'll get very similar range of movement to resurfacing with the only real restriction long term of not doing lots of running.
I've got Oxinium THR, done in August this year by Mr Treacy as my hip anatomy wouldn't allow a resurfacing.
The whole hip feels incredibly strong, I'm  just working on building the muscles back up so I'm really happy with my THR.
Take your time to make the right choice for you, cheers,Mike.

Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Toontowngal

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »
I am from Saskatchewan and had surgery in Alberta. As far as I know the surgery and placement is ok. I have not been told otherwise. The problems with the Birmingham in woman is that the device is too big for our bone structure. I think this is why medal is high. I cant risk having another one. In fact they are not even recommending this procedure in woman anymore. Total hip replacement seems to be y only option :(

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 03:20:50 AM »
Just ask dr Bose about success in small women! If you have high metal figures then that is normally a sign of a misplaced cup. How many surgeons have looked at your xrays?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat