+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Just wanted to introduce myself  (Read 2501 times)

lisa2012

Just wanted to introduce myself
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:27:24 AM »
I'm a 37 yo mother to 5. I have been suffering from hip pain for 10 years. I finally found a dr to correctly diagnose me with arthritis, laberal tear and bone on bone in my left hip. I did some research and found out about resurfacing. I'm scheduled for surgery on Nov. 5th. I'm both excited and very nervous. Reading all the positive outcomes on this site has helped eas my mind a bit :)
 I plan on using a spinal and staying awake, or twlight sleep during surgery, because I'm high risk for pnemonia. Have any of you had this procedure done this way? Was it ok?
 Looking forward to sharing my after story very soon!!
 Just thought of one other question. I seem to have a lot of pain from my bursa. Is it typical for the Dr to remove it during a BHR?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:44:56 AM by lisa2012 »
Left hip pain x 10 years. Scheduled for BHR on Nov. 5th 2012.

Dannywayoflife

Re: Just wanted to introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 02:41:03 PM »
Hi Lisa and welcome!
Normally the surgeon will leave the bursa intact. This is one of the fantastic things with resurfacing it replicates natural anatomy as much as possible
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »
Welcome Lisa! you've come to the right place. Good luck, this will  help lead you back to a pain free life.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

phillwad

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 03:57:16 AM »
Lisa - welcome.  Hope your are getting ready for Nov 5th - keep us posted.  Phill

GBLarry

• Second hip done Oct 10, 2012 after first in 2007.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 04:24:47 AM »
Lisa,

Good for you in making the decision to have it fixed.  You will be so pleased with the outcome.  I don't know that I would want to be awake though because it is a lot of mechanical cutting, grinding and the like.  I liked it better that I went to sleep and woke up seemingly a moment later, with pain from an incision, but not the hip.  3 weeks ago tonight, I was standing up along side my bed for the first time, and could put full weight on the new hip without hurt.  I had a great gasser this time so I had no ill feeling when I came out of it.  The first hip I had done was 4+ years ago and had more puky feelings initially, but knew the same day that it was a good thing.

Have faith in your Dr and in yourself.

Larry
Green Bay, Wisconsin. USA

Dee Dee

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 01:37:39 PM »
Hi Lisa,
Welcome from another mom of 5. I was wondering if your dr mentioned dysplasia. My surgeon said that mild dysplasia was contributing to the damage in my hip which sound exactly like yours! Arthritis, labral tear and bone on bone.  Are you really flexible/hyper mobile?

My new hip is so strong now and walking on it is wonderful. The other hip has a laral tear, but not as much OA.  I am getting it done in December.

I was very glad I had the surgery.  I hope all goes well.  I would not want to be awake through all the grinding.  Spinal with twilight sedation worked for me.

Dee
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:38:56 PM by Dee Dee »
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

johnd_emd

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 06:24:35 AM »
My anasthesiast asked me if I wanted to be away, twighlight or completely under.  I was like "Dude, I want to go to sleep and wake up with it done."   The thought of watching them dislocate my leg and put my foot up next to my head did not sound very appealing to me; not to mention listening to all the drilling, hammering, etc. 

You're one brave sole Lisa.  My hat's off to you.  Either way, you'll be glad it's over and be able to get out of pain. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

imgetinold

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:05:55 PM »
Welcome, Lisa.  I'm sorry that you've been in pain for 10 years.  No doubt, a surgeon told you to wait as long as possible......one who doesn't do resurfacing.

I think the risk of pneumonia is from being under a general anesthesia and being intubated and on a breathing machine.  I doubt that any surgeon would want their patient actually awake.  I had a spinal, plus the "twilight" anesthesia, or whatever it's called.  I was out right before they put in the spinal, and woke up in recovery, but I was breathing on my own the whole time.  I'll bet that's what they mean, and it was perfectly fine.

I agree with John......hearing your hip pop when they dislocate it would be horrific!

Andy - Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012......GO BOILERS!

lori.36

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:48:34 PM »
Hi Lisa,

I am wondering how you are doing?  I also am a mother of young kids, 5 & 3.  I had my BHR performed 5/2010, and I am so happy that I did.  Like John, I did the spinal and a light sleep, woke up feeling good.
Who is performing your surgery.  You must be 10 days out now, so please let us know how you are doing.

Lori
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 05:52:03 PM »
Lisa;

Welcome;  hope it is going well after your surgery.

I did the spinal and twilight and that was so much better than general anesthesia-- no groggy pukyness after, was alert and doing as well as could be expected soon after the operation (I ate lunch in my room after 7:45 am surgery).

I also had torn labrums, bone on bone and the surgery has me feeling really good now 1 year + later on one and 8+ on the other.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
Yesterday at 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Advertisements