+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How many surgeries would you consider to be an experienced Dr?  (Read 1586 times)

lisa2012

How many surgeries would you consider to be an experienced Dr?
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:42:26 PM »
I'm having a BHR in my left hip on Nov. 5th by Dr. Commadol in Salisbury N.C. I haven't asked him how many surgeries he has done, but he did say he has been doing re-surfacing's for 5 years. He is also a teaching Dr. of this procedure. He did tell me that he hasn't done many women, especially at my age (I'm 37). He said by the time most women come to him they are at the age where a THR would be a better choice. I plan to call Monday to see how many resurfacings he has done. How many would you consider to be and experienced dr?
Thanks!
Left hip pain x 10 years. Scheduled for BHR on Nov. 5th 2012.

Tim Bratten

Re: How many surgeries would you consider to be an experienced Dr?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:27:10 PM »
This is a hard question ... I remember once in an interview De Smet suggested 70 surgeries was a learning curve, but than qualified himself by suggesting the surgeon should be doing at least 70 surgeries a year. I don't think there is any perfect rule, but if in doubt, maybe you should look into a more experienced surgeon. I know I regret the fact I didn't do this.
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 04:48:44 AM »
Most of the top surgeons say around 1000 for the curve to level off. However don't just go on the total number they have done. Someone could have done 2000 and still have bad results so ask total number done and how many have had problems
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:01:44 AM »
Hi Lisa, in the Australian registry studies, it seems that after 200 the success rate increases, so at least that number.

One other thing to consider is that the skill of the doctor becomes more important for people with smaller bones (men or women), so the more skilled, the higher probability of proper placement and success.  I also would ask how often they do HRs and how many are done per week, and what the recovery procedure is after the surgery.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 01:50:19 PM »
Hi

Welcome to hip talk.  Typically, 100 to 200, are considered taking the surgeon out of the learning curve.  I only list surgeons that have done at least a hundred, but in my opinon after reading stories for almost 6 years, attending hip resurfacing courses and reading medical studies - it is best to try to use surgeons that have done many hundreds to thousands.  If a surgeon has only done 100 or 200 since the FDA approve of BHR in 2006, that means they are only doing 20 to 30 a year.  You really want a surgeon that specializes in hip resurfacing and does them weekly. Not just a few now and then.  The surgeons that only do a few often revert to THRs if there are any problems.  If you are with the really experienced surgeons, they normally can handle the diffiuclt hip problems.

You have Dr. Gross that has done over 2800 hip resurfacings.  One of the most experienced in the US.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

patrick_d

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Hi Lisa - I live in Raleigh, NC and checked out several doctors before settling on Dr. Gross, who operates (pun intended!) out of Columbia, SC.  My story is listed under the name "Countdown" in hip stories if you want to read the story of my process.  I would certainly highly recommend that you consider talking with Dr. Gross.
Best of luck!
-Patrick
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

lisa2012

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »
I have read that many people have used Dr. Gross. , Columbia isn't very far away from me, maybe 3 1/2 hours. I'm wondering if my insurance will cover surgery out of state. I have BCBS. Has anyone had trouble with this issue? Also, I hate to have to put surgery off much longer, but I do think it will be worth a call to Dr. Gross.
Left hip pain x 10 years. Scheduled for BHR on Nov. 5th 2012.

lyn

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 07:54:33 PM »
I flew from Albuquerque to see Dr. Gross. Im a small boned women and if u r that close I would absolutely go to Dr. Gross if u can. Lyn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear