+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surface Hippy and Hurricane Sandy  (Read 1570 times)

Mr.Box

Surface Hippy and Hurricane Sandy
« on: November 02, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »

So, first time I've had power since Monday night. What a wild ride. I've been away from the computer for quite over a week or actually even more than that. I started out-patient PT near my area last Saturday and that was the only PT that I could get in this week due to affects of hurricane Sandy.

Question: At 6-7 weeks post op. Should I be using a chainsaw, chopping up trees and hauling the remains out to my front curb ? How about lifting a 200lb generator full of 7 gallons of gas ? ( I really only lifted it once and then tilted it the rest of times to get it up a step ) I've been so busy with the preparations and reacting to all the needs of my family, that I've completely forgotten about using my crutches at all. I've also been taking Advil to reduce the fatigue and discomfort from my hips and back. And oh my.. my back was tighter.. well tighter than something that is very tight.

I've read a lot on this site that your body will tell you you've pushed way too hard. I think I've had that feeling since last Friday. I even think my hips were swollen this week due to use. I go back to PT tomorrow, but I can say I got all my exercise this week dealing with the leftovers of Sandy.

Any suggestions on reducing discomfort associated with activity ? Or, is that the signal you are pushing too hard at the moment ?
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Surface Hippy and Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »
It's probably a good thing that most of your heavy lifting is behind you at this point.  And it's a good thing that your body handled it so well.  I'm over on Long Island, we also lost power Monday but it hasn't come back yet.  I've been running the generator but today it's geting hard to get gas.  I have enough for today and I'll try to get more in the morning.  Yesterday I got out too late at 6:30 and there was a big line, today there was no gas at 5:00.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow.  Upstate house also has no power.

I'm glad that you and your new hips made it through OK.  A few weeks from now it will be all over for us but not for so many who lost everything.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »
I guess its nice that you have very important tasks to keep you occupied and maybe even help with recovery of the hip, not too mention recovery of society.  I think I was doing some of those things at that stage also, but I was chainsawing for fun, not neccessity. 

I would be very cautious about the lifting bit at this stage.  The femoral neck could still be quite weak, especially if the surgeon had to do a little extra bone work to make the cap fit right. 

Also, ibuprofen reduces blood flow as part of it's design to reduce inflammation.  I'm not sure how long after surgery you're supposed to not use NSAIDs, but I would think that within the first 2 to 3 months after surgery you would want to retain as much blood flow to your recently affected bone.   I have heard that some surgeons do not follow this notion and allow NSAIDs to be used during recovery.  You might want to talk to your surgeon, or just use acetominophen.

Hope you get things squared up over there, I hear there are still lots without power and still lots of cleanup to be done.  Good luck!
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anna

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »
Eeeeek, hope you all get your power back soon and the clear up doesnt take too long. Sounds like the hurricane really hit hard.

Get some rest Mr Box  ::)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »
We took a hit here, but I lucked out, no damage and only minor power loss. Many people here with no power still, but far enough away from the shore to be away from the flooding.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lyn

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:48:46 PM »
Im so sorry for all the devistation everyone has gone through, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone. Hang in there and be careful with your hips. Lyn

maxx6789

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 12:24:53 AM »
mr. box ... i'm about 14 months and 7 months post op, both hips feeling great, and i did virtually all my sandy clean-up over the last few days.

that much lifting and carrying that you mentioned is (in my opinion) too much for 7 weeks. honesty, if you do have some things that you need help with, i would be happy to help you, really. what area of the state are you? i live in ocean county. also, i have a pick-up truck that may help with hauling things for you, too.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

David

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 08:59:08 AM »
Be careful with how much you are lifting at 7 weeks Mr. Box, too much load can be a strain on the device and your muscles as well.
I was in Sandy's path of wrath as well, eastern Long Island.  Cutting and hauling 4 50' monster trees proved to be a bit much.  Developed some Ischial Bursitis in the lower buttocks where the hamstring attached to the lower pelvis.  Probably a result of running with tight hamstrings, then all this lifting blew it out.  Hard to get the 25yo brain to work with the 51yo body... :)
Hope you are all back on your way to resuming normal activities after this crazy storm.  I have several friends near the water with houses either gutted on the first floor or gone...sad.
Glad the NYC Marathon was canceled, was stupid of Bloomberg to even think of having it under these conditions.

Best...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Mr.Box

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 12:48:14 PM »
Thank you all so very much for the concern  :). My power is back on and I've already moved all the items to the curb that need to be picked up. I know I pushed myself but I'm also listening to my body alot on what not to do.

Right now I'm focusing on chopping up the small parts of wood that haven't been taken care of yet. A neighbor thinks the wood is a gold mine and has been taking bunches of it since it was moved to the curb. My fence is a pretty easy fix and at the moment it isn't going any where with the straps I've attached.

I do have the advantage of being young still and having a healthy bone density ( 32 years old till the 12th of Nov ). I'm taking it easy and resting after each activity and have laid off the Advil for the moment.

I had physical therapy this morning and turns out the PT is a neighbor of mine that lives off my street. She wasn't so fortunate and had her car destroyed by a falling tree. The destruction is very weird in my area. Some places are pristine and unaffected, but turn the corner and 10 trees are down on houses, cars, and even still some in the middle of the street. I can't complain because I'm safe and I didn't lose much ( spent a ton on a generator though ).

I'm actually staying inside this weekend ( except PT which is less than a mile away ) to save gas. I also think it's very selfish of the hoards of people getting gas and " going around to look at the damage " or running out to the mall to buy this or that. Stay home! Let the guy who has to go home and heat his house with a generator get the gas instead. He's the one with the child saying " Daddy, I'm cold ". I'm sure many people have legitimate reasons for filling up their car, but some don't.
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat