+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Here  (Read 1984 times)

curtieman1

New Here
« on: November 04, 2012, 01:26:58 AM »
Hello my name is Curt, I'm from MN. I had my Left Hip resurfaced with a BHR by Dr.  Scott Anseth at Abbott Northwestern Hospital on July 20th. I've been lurking on this site since not sure what I would post if it would even be worth it for others to read. Thanks Pat for this great site, it has been very helpful in my recovery helping me realize that patience is the best tool on a persons path to recovery. My hip feels good still have muscle soreness when I have a long day at work as a Boiler operator at a local Ethanol Plant, working 12 hour shifts. For others that just had or are about to have surgery be patient don't get too down if you don't think your recovery is going as fast as you think it should, you may have some down days where it doesn't feel right along with the many good days. Don't be afraid to call your Dr if you have any concerns.
Again Thanks a lot Pat.
Curt
LBHR Dr. Anseth July 20 2012
RBHR Dr. Scott Anseth July 24 2014

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »
Hi Curt

Thanks for letting us know you are out there and doing great. People do like to read about other patients experiences.  The stories are very helpful.  Also Thanks for the kind words about the website.  I work hard to keep it updated and running, while the great folks here take a lot of time to answer questions and offer support.

Good Luck with your recovery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 08:02:25 PM »
Hey Curt, thanks for the post.

Like Pat mentions, every experience is valuable here; what you experience is always different from what other people do.

There will probably be a future hippy that will read your post and have it directly click with them.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

curtieman1

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »
Thanks Hernanu & Pat, for the encouragement. Like you said I have read things on other post that has clicked for me, so I will keep that in mind as I go forward.

Anna

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 04:44:11 AM »
Hey Curt, I think we would all like to hear your story. It sounds like your hip is doing well though and toughing out those 12 hour shifts! Thats great to hear  :)

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

phillwad

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:10:48 AM »
Curt - Welcome - got to love the cold living in MN.  I had my hip done and last winter spent time snow shoeing - intend to get back to cross country skiing this year.  The cold never bothered me at all.   I would think if you work in a boiler room it is never cold at work.  Looking forward to hearing how your recovery goes. - Phill

curtieman1

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:59:37 PM »
Anna & Phil, about 5-6 years ago I fell on my hip playing volleyball. My hip started hurting about a year later, after several X-rays, MRIs, other tests it was diagnosed as arthritis. Didn't do anything for a couple of years. It started bothering me after I had a hard shift at work, played sports with my kids etc. Was given the name of one Doctor that said my hip was to damaged for him to do anything but referred me for a cortisone shot. It worked about one week. Had switched jobs so started over on insurance deductible so waited another year to see Dr Anseth he said he recommended another cortisone shot. That was June last year that lasted maybe two weeks got another shot last November, again lasted 1-2 weeks. This spring he said that after going through the shots & still having pain he could get the insurance  approval & recommended resurfacing. Scheduled surgery for this past July. Surgery went good said it was definitely bone on bone no cartilage left. The first night after surgery my thigh muscles hurt like heck had a hard time getting pain under control, finally did had one round of group therapy first day after surgery after a session with therapists in my room. That night went better, had to rounds of group therapy second day & was discharged after. Recovery has gone good as I said when I did to much my leg let me know, hip always has felt great. Went back to work after ten weeks working up to full time.
Phil, not a big fan of real cold weather after growing up on a dairy farm, & struggled keeping all the machines working around the farm, but it can be invigorating getting out in the "fresh air", but it is warm in the boiler room.
Curt

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat