+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: TODAY is my 1 YEAR anneversary.... WOOHOO  (Read 3595 times)

PistolPete

TODAY is my 1 YEAR anneversary.... WOOHOO
« on: November 06, 2012, 06:13:32 PM »
As the topic states 1 year ago today I had my right hip resurfaced and things have been going great.  I've got my life back and feel so much better than I did a year ago.  I've returned to contact sports such as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and have been feeling great.  My ROM is improving slowly as is my strength.  I would imagine that in the next 6 months I will be close to 100%.  Resurfacing has changed my life to the better and if you're debating about doing this or not I would totally recommend doing it.

IslandCatt

Re: TODAY is my 1 YEAR anneversary.... WOOHOO
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 06:22:31 PM »
Hi Pete,

That's great news. Very encouraging.

I have a few BJJ questions for you.

When did you return to jiu jistu?
Have you ever had any problems with the hip in terms of it getting put into compromising situations or having limitations such as when you are defending a guard pass and/or trying to replace the guard?
Do you have any issues with takedowns and throws?
How is your flexibility?
Anterior LBHR, Dr. Sanders, 9/12/12

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:35:26 PM »
That's awesome pete! My 1 year is on Saturday I'm so pleased for you mate
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

PistolPete

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 06:35:37 PM »
Certain things are definately much more difficult.  I NEVER close my guard at all anymore (which I didn't do often prior) because it puts a ton of stress on my hip.  I had my right hip done which is good because most people pass to their left.  That said on my back in 1/2 guard it's great on my right side but when someone passes to their left and my right leg is up I have issues because my leg is still fairly weak.  Triangle chokes can hurt a bit when applying them but it is def. getting easier.  Flexibility is def. a work in progress and I'm sure will take a while to come back.

I recently started doing takedowns again but when getting taken down do everything I can to land either flat or on my left side.  I'm def. nervous about being slammed onto my right hip but I haven't had that issue as of yet.  I started training hard about a month or so ago and so far have felt fantastic.

PistolPete

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 06:36:43 PM »
That's awesome pete! My 1 year is on Saturday I'm so pleased for you mate

Thanks Danny.  I'm sure you're excited to have that behind you.  Your journey immediately after surgery was a dramatic one but happily in the end you've done awesome.

IslandCatt

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 06:49:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply Pete.

How long after your surgery did you start rolling light again?

PistolPete

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 06:59:07 PM »
I did a little light rolling about 3-4 months post op but decided it wasn't a good idea.  It hurt to be on my right side on bottom and my ROM was really poor so I decided I needed longer.  Then about 9 months post op I trained again for a bit but due to my work schedule and the summer time I just didn't have the time.  So, now I'm back training 3-4 days/week and so far so good.

How far along are you?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 07:45:41 PM »
Pete your an inspiration mate! My recovery has been some what slower than others but I'm now dropping weight nicly and I'm doing some heavy bag work(just boxing) and intend to properly get back training early next year. I'm setting the target for myself of a Pro boxing bout. Im not a particularly good boxer but I'm heavy handed and all my wins in muay Thai were from ko. It will take a long time to get in the right shape but it's on my bucket list so I'm going to do it!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

PistolPete

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 08:01:08 PM »
That's a great goal Danny.  I'm sure you'll do awesome.  I wouldn't be so afraid of kicking though.  For me I'm throwing full power round kicks.  Sidekicks and front kicks aren't quite there yet but my left leg front push kick is going great for me.

IslandCatt

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 08:06:26 PM »

How far along are you?

Hey Pete,

I'm only at 8 weeks. I've been on the mat, but only to do some solo movements that I am using for rehab.

My plan is to do some light bottom north/south isolation work in another month or two (nobody's going near my legs until everything feels close to 100%  :o)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 08:10:35 PM »
That's a great goal Danny.  I'm sure you'll do awesome.  I wouldn't be so afraid of kicking though.  For me I'm throwing full power round kicks.  Sidekicks and front kicks aren't quite there yet but my left leg front push kick is going great for me.
I'm pretty paranoid about kicking again mate. I used to be able to kick REALLY REALLY hard and I just think that helped to disintegrate my joint in the first place and I really doubt that a prosthetic will cope with the sheering force of a thai turning kick.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

IslandCatt

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »
I'm pretty paranoid about kicking again mate. I used to be able to kick REALLY REALLY hard and I just think that helped to disintegrate my joint in the first place and I really doubt that a prosthetic will cope with the sheering force of a thai turning kick.

Not sure if you've seen this, but this guy had bilateral and is throwing a few kicks at the end of the clip. Granted, the kicks aren't really that hard, but I think he was only 3 or 4 months out.

http://vimeo.com/37019962
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:37:39 PM by IslandCatt »

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »
That is great Pete! Both the anniversary and getting fuly back on BJJ. 

I've found no problem with kicks once I got the strength back into the smaller muscles (the bigger ones are fine). Any kicks with some snap in them took me a bit longer - didn't really kick the bag hard until 14 months or so with a side kick or a front kick.

Congrats again - awesome to see this.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
Yep seen that mate. I just think that the force created when kiicking and the way that force is transmitted through the hip cannot be good for a hip resurfacing. At 29 I hope to get 30+ years out of my BHR. I have to balance my desire for my hobbie etc against things which "may" shorten the life span of this great operation.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

IslandCatt

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 09:03:47 PM »
Yep seen that mate. I just think that the force created when kiicking and the way that force is transmitted through the hip cannot be good for a hip resurfacing. At 29 I hope to get 30+ years out of my BHR. I have to balance my desire for my hobbie etc against things which "may" shorten the life span of this great operation.

I agree with your approach. In my opinion, too many people don't look to find that balance after surgery.

Personally, I'm currently re-evaluating all of my activities. My plan is to only do the higher impact, higher risk activities that I completely love and feel lacking without. All those that I used to do just because I could, I'm going to give a pass to.

Anna

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 09:08:59 PM »
WOOHOO!!!! Congratulations Pete!  ;D
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »

I agree with your approach. In my opinion, too many people don't look to find that balance after surgery.

Personally, I'm currently re-evaluating all of my activities. My plan is to only do the higher impact, higher risk activities that I completely love and feel lacking without. All those that I used to do just because I could, I'm going to give a pass to.

I think that's sensible. I intend on living life to the max but why take a chance if you don't need to? I think BJJ will be doable I intend on doing some judo(infact I did 2 classes at the 6 month stage) and I'm going to substitute muay thai for boxing. I will do some running but I doubt I'll ever do 40+ miles a week again that i once did instead I'll do more non impact stuff.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 09:19:46 PM »
Congratulations.  Hope you have many, many more.

Keep us updated when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

IslandCatt

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 09:24:05 PM »

I think BJJ will be doable I intend on doing some judo(infact I did 2 classes at the 6 month stage)...

Hmm... that's interesting. I've always found that judo is harder on my lower body joints than BJJ (well, as long as I tap early into knee bars, toe holds and heel hooks, that is).

You didn't have any issues with the judo, even that early on in your recovery?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 09:28:17 PM »
It didn't feel great if I'm honest but then I've come on leaps and bounds in the last 6 months. I think it's more about how you train with judo. I like to do lots and lots of drills that's how I learn so not constantly being thrown. Yes a bad fall could have the potential for damage but for me it's a calculated risk and I think the odd hard knock will do less to a device than constant repetitive pounding like with thai kicks or running
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter