+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long before your "start up" stiffness went away?  (Read 10787 times)

IslandCatt

How long before your "start up" stiffness went away?
« on: November 06, 2012, 04:14:45 PM »
I'm 8 weeks post op and, so far, very happy with my recovery process. I've been walking without any aids for about a week now. I'm doing lots of rehab and I continue to see progress every day.

The only area that hasn't seemed to respond is my "start up stiffness". Whenever I get out of bed in the morning or up from having been sitting for 1/2 hour or more, I am very stiff and walk with a significant limp. The stiffness/soreness is mainly in the front hip flexor area, which is where my incision was (ironically, this is the exact area in which I felt the pain before my surgery). This discomfort usually subsides within about 5 minutes of weight bearing walking and I can go into a normal stride without any pain. The first 5 minutes are pretty sad-looking, however.

I'm just curious as to how many others have had this type of "start-up" discomfort and how long before it went away.
Anterior LBHR, Dr. Sanders, 9/12/12

Dannywayoflife

Re: How long before your "start up" stiffness went away?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
I noticed it less at 6 months at just shy of a year I still sometimes get it but not often as time goes on it's less and less
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

stephen1254

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »
It is going to vary for everyone but mine went away at about 11-12 weeks. By way of comparison I was off all walking aids at 11 days. I don't know for sure that the two are related though - my doctor indicated 12 weeks was about the time for that stiffness to subside, and that was across the board for all of his patients.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:22:06 PM »
Mine left at about nine months.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »
I never had too much of the startup stifffness, but I do recall at 8 weeks still having some of it.  It takes awhile for the body to readjust.  I think it was probably 4 months or more until I didn't notice it.  At about 6 months I starting walking briskly up a hill near my office at lunch, then I started running up the hill and I think after doing that for about 4 weeks, I really felt like I could pretty much jump up any time and take off without feeling stiffness.  I think commuting to work by bike also made a big difference.  I think you're getting there and staying active is huge, so you're on the right track. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

WTW15

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:37:22 PM »
At 8 months I realized my 2-step limp was finally gone.  :).
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

lyn

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »
Im about 12weeks post op and I still get stiff, even after  I walk a couple of miles and I drive home from walking I get stiff getting out of the car.lyn

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »
It'll be there for a bit lyn, completely normal.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

chuckm

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »
I had significant "start-up" pain and stiffness. I'm 11 weeks post op now and still have some stiffness but I no longer limp and the pain is less. At about 4 weeks I got tired of not standing totally staight and then limping half way across the room before my leg would work right. Once I trained myself to know it would happen getting out of bed and getting up from sitting, the problem got better. I would just pause for a moment and then force myself to stand up straight and walk normally. It caused extra discomfort but after only a week of this behavior it all started to improve.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat