+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: second thoughts  (Read 2672 times)

nc

second thoughts
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:44:33 PM »
I'm new to this forum.  After consults with a few HR surgeons, I've decided to get HR done by Dr. Gross.  Now I'm having second thoughts after reading some of the recent articles that discuss the criteria for the most success.  I am a tall but small/medium boned female.  I'm getting concerned about the fracture issue with my bone type.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Baby Barista

Re: second thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 11:10:36 PM »
I would ask what sized components Dr. Gross has templated for your surgery. Unless they are at the very lowest end of the spectrum, I wouldn't worry about it. From everything I've read, I find it highly unlikely Dr. Gross would approve surgery for a patient if he didn't think the outcome would be favorable.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

phillwad

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 11:18:21 PM »
nc - you have chosen a very experienced DR - that is the most important thing.  I agree that Dr Gross would not have recommended you for the operation if it was not appropriate.

Dee Dee

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 12:26:09 AM »
Talk to his office staff. They are great about answering emails and will call you if you need that personal touch.  Surgery is a very big deal. If you have questions they can help you come to grips with the need for surgery and the possible outcomes. 

Dr goss has great statistics on successful outcomes.   Because he is so experienced (>3000 hr surgeies) he has probably seen most scenarios and knows what will work and what won't. He certainly gave me all the time I needed to get answers to my  questions in the pre op appointment. 

I hope you get a peace about the surgery!
Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

nc

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 12:18:34 PM »
Thanks for your responses.  I forgot to mention that because of a low normal (still in normal range) on my DEXA, I will probably need to take Fosamax for 6 months maximum after surgery.  Has anyone taken Fosamax post opt and were there any side effects?  On my x rays, my femur bone does look slightly weaker on my bad hip side.

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 06:10:01 PM »
Hi nc, I think ultimately the skill and experience of the surgeon comes into play. A doctor as good as yours would only recommend HR if he felt that success was a probability.

I don't think anyone thinks the outcome is guaranteed, but the probabilities of success are very high. The risk of fracture is there for all of us, but is pretty much done by the time six months have passed, we all have had to guard against activities that could imperil it. The Fosamax is probably a very good precaution because of a lower score, but it still, as you mention is within a normal score.

It's always your decision, but in my view, you stand in a good place with an excellent surgeon. Like Dee Dee suggests, talk to his staff and ask any questions; they are there to make sure you are ready.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lyn

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »
Hi, Im small boned woman .Dr Gross did my surgery. I was worried about the same thing. Lee said Dr. Gross has done hundreds of small boned woman. Im about 12 weeks post op. Doing well, but anxious to make it through to 6 months. He is very confident....for a reason.My componet size was 42/48. I wish you the best..keep us posted..lyn

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:03:54 AM »
NC,

Honestly, if Dr. Gross says you're a candidate, then you're a candidate.  He has a limitless amount of work, and doesn't need to do yours for the money.  He wouldn't perform the surgery if he didn't believe 100% that you'd have a successful outcome.   You can see that I, like most Gross hippies, have total trust in his abilities.

I had a low DEXA scan in my spine, so I've been taking Atelvia (although I ran out and it's been a month....new prescription on the way).  I've had no side effects whatsoever.

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 04:28:04 PM »
Dr. Gross has very few failures, his failure rates is very low.

He will look at bone density, and sometimes make you non weight bearing for a longer period of time but I turned on a young lady to him and she was very small and she's doing great including all types of yoga.

In the end even in the event of a failure an HR can be converted to a THR anyhow.

It's very normal to be having second thoughts, I had them even the morning I walked in for my surgery, I was the first surgery of the day.

I would talk to Lee about your concerns, she can give you the stats.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 04:36:03 PM »
I agree with everyone here.  Gross wouldn't recommend if he didn't think it would be successful.  I recall seeing a few folks talk about taking bone supplements, but don't remember who.  You could certainly ask Gross's office for more details on it and on potential side effects.  Good Luck. 

BTW - the recent article on small framed women is inaccurate when looking at the stats of the really experience surgeons, like Gross.  Even when looking at the larger datasets (registries) there are lots of ways to slice and dice the data, the results for the smaller person are not as bad as they make it out to be.  Just ask Gross about it and I think you'll get a really solid and positive answer.     
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

nc

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »
I really appreciate the supportive comments.  I know Dr. Gross is one of the best.  The data always seems to put women at a higher risk of fractures and  metal ion issues, but I agree that the data can be misleading.  I still believe HR is the way to go.   

obxpelican

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »
NC,

Many times you will see statistics that show small boned women tending to fracture more often, but if you could do a Microsoft excel pivot table and remove some of the suspect doctors and devices the stats for women would be pretty good.

Overall hip resurfacing has been given a bad name because of a small amount of doctors who just make mistakes like notching the neck, misaligned cups ect, also some of the recalled devices has not helped the cause.

If you pick a quality surgeon you're going to end up with a quality result.  I drove from Pittsburgh, PA to Columbia, SC, my doctor and my family thought I was nuts (I am actually but that is an argument for another day).

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat