+-

Author Topic: dealing with pre-op pain in back, hip and knee  (Read 1124 times)

Rosie90

dealing with pre-op pain in back, hip and knee
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »
I would like to hear your experiences, if you don't mind.  I have the appointment with a hip surgeon late Jan.  From there, who know when I'll have surgery.  Soon, I hope.  In the meantime, the increasing cold weather is doing a number on my body.  I used to pride myself on keeping fit and now, it's pain in the joints.  My limp has started.  I'm taking naproxen twice a day and that helps to some extent, but not enough.

Tin Soldier

Re: dealing with pre-op pain in back, hip and knee
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:24:45 PM »
I wouldn't recommend drinking more.  I didn't use much ibuprofen or other anelgesics for the pain before HR and I had back, hip, knee, and shin pain and I had it bad enough that my sleeping was not good.  Couldn't get comfortable.  I suppose I could have dealt with the back partially by beefing up the core, but it's hard to do any exercise without using your hips.  Anyway, I was getting used to putting back a few pints each night and I don't think that was healthy for the head, the BP, the liver, the wallet,...

Oddly, before I knew about the problem I just sort of assumed that pain was going to be in my future for years to come.  When I found out about HR and the potential to have new hips and the very good possibility that the pain would go away or decrease, I simply just waited it out and stayed away from activities that increasd the pain. 

You can always look into other pain relievers/narcotics, but I think if you know you're going to have surgery, wait it out and stay away from the strong stuff, if you can.  I think much, if not all of the back, hip, and knee pain will go away after surgery.   

Maybe going to a knowledgeable PT and doing special exercises that strengthen the hip joint without adding too much extra pain to it?.  Maybe sitting in a hot tub a whole bunch, or ice and heat on the hip? 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anna

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
I feel exactly the same Rosie!!! I think its the cold too ... over the past couple of months I wake up every morning feeling like ive been in a car crash. Shoulder, lower back, hip, knee, ankle pain. Im constantly waking up in the middle of the night with different pains. Im on naproxen too, along with paracetamol and codine but its not touching the sides anymore!

I find cycling really helps. Its hard to get going now due to the pain, but once I do, its the only time im not in pain. It also seems to losen me up for a few days aswel. Also swimming and bubbling away in the jacuzzi for hours  ::)

Sally sent me a wheat bag. Its the best thing ever. They come in all different shapes and sizes. You put them in the microwave and they act like a hot water bottle. Mine is about 2 ft long and I just drape it over my hips on a night. Its excellent and I would highly recomend! Also, someone recomended to me an electric blanket to sleep on. I havent tried it yet but its next on my list.

I tried PT but it didnt really help. I think partly because I have always been quite active and have pretty chunky leg muscles anyway, and partly because I dont think my PT knew much about my condition and was asking me to do excersises that I really couldnt do. Ive been recomended a really good physio in Leeds who is an expert in dysplasia and hip conditions who I am going to try. Are you in England? If so, where?

Hope the pain lets off a little

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Rosie90

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
Thank you for your responses.  I'm sitting here with a blanket over my hips and knees, trying to relax them a bit.  I'm going to look into that wheat bag idea.

Dee Dee

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:57:05 AM »
I would talk to your doc about changing your anti inflammatory. It took me a few tries but I found one tha really keeps those aches and pain down to a tolerable level.  I have been on diclofinac sodium ER.  You should consider getting some relief so you can enjoy your holidays!

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:34:54 PM »
You can use rice also and just put it in a large tube sock, maybe add some lavender or other aromatic, if that's your sort of thing, tie off the end with some string and heat it in the wave.  Kinda makes me hungry thinking about it.  The rice, not the tube sock, that reminds me of my 15 year's old feet.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Recent Posts

Re: A Fantastic Surgery Experience by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:20:40 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:18:37 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:17:26 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by zippymon213
October 26, 2021, 01:21:55 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal