+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Hippy  (Read 10970 times)

Bryan712

New Hippy
« on: November 22, 2012, 12:10:47 PM »
Going home from hospital with new RBHR today wanted to say thanks for information posted on here and Happy Thankgiving

OtterDriver

Re: New Hippy
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »
Welcome Bryan!

Congratulations!  You're on the way to better days.   Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Bruce

luann again

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
Congrats! Welcome to the other side! Be very patient with your healing. Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Bryan712

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »
Does anyone here know about success rates with smaller bones? My surgeon mentioned I had a 44 mm hip he expected it to be a little larger about 48 mm.  He has me on the same restrictions for a THR.

johnd_emd

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
What a day to have your hip done.  You'll have a lot to be Thankful for.  Good luck with your recovery.  With your smaller bone just follow your doctors protocol and you should be fine. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

patrick_d

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:53:52 AM »
Congrats Bryan!  Welcome to the other side, I am pretty sure you are going to like it.  I say that and I am only 10 days post op myself. 

Per your question regarding success rates, there are really a lot of factors to consider, size being just one of them.  My surgeon was Dr. Gross and his webpage has LOTS of great information about devices in general and of course lots about his procedure and technique, but I think you might be able to glean some good info from there.  Also, he recently published an outstanding article on a 10+ year study he has been conducting on the best, or safe zone, for the placement of the cup portion of the device.  This paper may help answer some questions and likely will give you a few questions to ask your doctor, like what AI angle did he place the cup?

http://www.grossortho.com/Journals/Metal%20safe%20zone.pdf

Hope this helps....Patrick
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 09:28:03 AM »
Hi Bryan

Congratulations on the new hip.  Many people with smaller sized resurfacings do great.  A lot depends on how well the acetabular cup is placed.  Most of the top surgeons are very aware of that and are very  careful, especially in smaller people.  Take it easy and don't push your recovery and listen to your doctors recommendations. Once you are healed further down the road, you can be active without any worry.

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing.  Look forward to your future posts as you continue your recovery.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Bryan712

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 10:40:56 AM »
Thanks Patrick, very interesting data. Thanks Pat.  He said my angle was from 40-45. Femoral head size was 44mm. The reason I am concerned is because I am not small, just small boned, he expected my bones to be larger.  He seemed surprised when I asked him the angle of placement.   Thanks guys for the info..  Looks like from the data a 44mm needs to be placed  at 35 to 45 angle so if  I heal right should be good.  No wonder my bones wore out  :D

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
Congrats Bryan! Welcome to the good side.

Ask away, part of healing is getting all of your answers in line so your mind can be clear and you can enjoy the increasingly good hip.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Bryan712

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »
Not used to this energy drain, having to readjust tired by early afternoon. Leg swollen some above the knee everyone thinks that is normal and I am progressing well.  Sleeping much better day 4 and 5 at home. Today I feel good this AM Day (6) , going to try the stationary bike for a few min today . Watch some football Alabama and Auburn nothing bigger in this state!!

Roll Tide!

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 05:55:57 PM »
All normal, Bryan - your body's been through a lot and you are in the right spot in your recovery. Keep it up.

John C

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 08:55:52 PM »
Don't worry about the energy drain; right now it is a good thing. Your body is mustering all of its resources to take care of the healing, and that is right where you want all of your energy to go for now. When more of the healing has taken place, your body will free up more of your energy for other things.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Bryan712

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 09:04:38 PM »
Cool thanks John, helpful to know this is normal.  Day seven good day slowed my pace down seems to have helped.  Bruising all down my operated leg even below the knee now, does not hurt but almost as if the blood thinner is allowing blood to run down the length of my leg.  Strength slightly better today mornings are best. Need to go back
to work one week from tomorrow at least for a while (couple of hours at a time), (desk job) with walking occasionally. Any ideas on sitting? Finding it hard to sit on real firm or real soft surfaces. Was thinking maybe a bar stool with a cushion.

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 11:45:31 PM »
Bryan, icing helps, if you can arrange it at work. Other than that, I had problems sitting for long for a while (six months or so?), but went back to work full time by 5 weeks.

The hip gets stronger, but I found I had to get up and walk after 20 minutes or so. No long walk, just long enough to straighten the leg, take the pressure off and get some blood flowing.

Once that was done, I was good for another twenty. Your body will tell you what you can take. The pillow sounds like a good plan, though.

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 08:06:32 AM »
Congrats All the best for your recovery.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

patrick_d

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 12:55:31 PM »
I second the plan for ice, I love my Breg Polar Care cooler.  It does an amazing job.

I have also found the elevation, just putting my foot up on another chair (topped with a pillow) while sitting really helps.  Not sure if you can setup that kind of arrangement at work, but it might be worth a try too.
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

Bryan712

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 03:02:01 PM »
So went to work today 10 days post op, took a pillow and made it about 3 hours long enough to check 150 emails and work a little.  Using 2 crutches to get around did good!.  Walking at home between rooms with little assistance, and pain, muscles still seems very weak though and gait not straight yet, happy with progress overall, but impatient at the same time... ???

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 04:26:35 PM »
Just keep your eye on the prize, Bryan - you want to come out of this with a strong joint and a really good gait. Impatience is not our friend here.

One thing that helped me to walk in the winter was my nearby malls. There is no shortage of long stretches of negotiable paths, it's friendly to crutches and plenty of places to rest.

There's nothing like confronting a big sheet of ice while on crutches to realize that malls are a healing hippie's helper.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »
Congrats on the hip.  Yeah, lots of ice.  Be easy on yourself with the ups and downs of recovery.  You're also really early for getting too concerned about your gait.  In the next few weeks as you start to move from the crutches to cane then I think you will want to be focusing more on symmetry and gait.  For now you just need to do the light PT exercises "floor exercises" and get some walking/crutching in and resting/icing.

Keep up the good work.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Bryan712

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 09:53:31 AM »
Thanks for the advice, as I have read in other posts I realize I am that Type "A" person, thinking today need to clean out the gutters.  Patience is not one of my stronger qualities...but good things come to those that wait seems to be the consensus..

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear