+-

Author Topic: New Dr Gross Hippy  (Read 1495 times)

blt01

New Dr Gross Hippy
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:26:53 PM »
All,

Thank you all so much for the important info on this site it has been helpful and greatly appreciated. I've posted a couple of times. I'm 45 have been very active in sports including basketball racquetball triathlon ironman, etc. have had left hip pain for 5 years (that magical age of 40).

I had the pleasure of meeting Dr Gross and his entourage on November 13, 2012 for a Nov 14 surgery date. Everything that has been posted about him and his staff if spot on. I also had the pleasure of meeting Patrick and his lovely wife in the hospital following surgery. I hope to see them again just not in the hospital. 

Weekend before the surgery my wife and I spent a few days in Charleston. I will have to say that it is one of my favorite places. If you go you must stay at the downtown Courtyard Marriott and speak with the concierge, Kevin McQauid. He is amazing and did everything for us.

Day before the surgery met with Dr Gross and his staff prior to the surgery. Everyone was extremely professional and enjoyed finally meeting them. I was very nervous. Pre- op was fine and uneventful other than the finance lady trying to charge me again for the ice machine. No problem though.  I was scheduled for a 1:30 surgery time which was a bit of a bummer as I couldn't eat. About 6:30 pm I received a call from Lee Webb that said their 7:30 cancelled and they moved me to that spot. I was thrilled. Not much sleep the night before. The courtyard Marriott by the hospital is a little old and tired but was fine. My wife and I stayed there only the night before. then checked out and my wife stayed with me in the hospital. My in-laws make the trip to Columbia to help out.

Day of surgery. Up early and helped open up Provident Northeast at 6:00 am. Still pretty nervous. I resolved my nervousness mostly to the post surgery pain and recovery. Athletics has been a big part of my life and I feel as though I'm loosing some to hopefully gain better life later.  The hospital staff was very professional and seem to cater to Dr Gross patients as he brings them much business. The pre-op nurse was great. At one point, during the infamous butt shave, I asked her how she got the privilege of being the butt shaver. Just a little humor to help the nerves. Funny thing though, as the butt shaving took place the anesthesia Dr came in and said,  "I usually like to see patients face fist".  I find the whole butt shaving event hilarious.  I'm not very hairy so it probably is more of a chore on some. Haha. I remember being wheeled around and into the OR at that point we had a conversation about country music then lights out. I woke up in recovery and was taken right to my room. I guess the mode of pain management was much different than my previous experiences because it was as if I just woke up. Not much grogginess. I don't really remember much from that day of recovery.  The first night was horrible as the leg squeeze device alarmed every 10 minutes and the round the clock nurses kept coming in.

The next day the nurse comes in and it feels as though she just threw me in the shower and said wash yourself. I was amazed that I was able to stand and put all my weight on the operated hip. I will say that the nurses and all the staff are wonderful. The best hospital experience I've had. Even the young PT woman was great. They all seemed to enjoy what they are doing.  The group PT session with the other Gross hippies was fun. It was interesting to meet people from all over. Me from Nashville (l hip), Patrick_d from Raleigh, NC (r hip), Brad from Kansas (bilateral), and a lady from Mobile(r hip).

Third day was discharged about 11:30 and drove back to Charleston to catch a flight back to Nashville Saturday.  Dr Gross said everything went great and I could go back to work in two weeks  Another funny moment. During discharge with Dr Gross I asked him if I could have massage therapy to help aid the scar tissue healing. He said, "non of that voodoo stuff will help.  Just let your body heal".  It was funny the way he said it.

By the time I got home home my leg has swelled up pretty good and I was very uncomfortable. The ice and drugs helped and it was better soon.

Most other days were the same; meds, ice, rest, movies & sports on TV. Day 7 my best friend who happens to be. Family practice Dr came over with gifts and took my bandage off. Surprisingly it came off easily & did not stick to the wound at all. It was nice to see him and brightened my day.

I'm on day 10 today and every day of recovery is better.  I've gone to one crutch and I'm getting around fine. I'm thankful for my sweet wife wife and my 6 wonderful children that have been here to help. We loaded up on movies and have watched plenty of movies and sports. But feeling guilty about laying around.   Here are a few closing comments.

-  Dr Gross and his staff & providence northeast hospital are top notch.
-  Dr Gross is very serious about HR and does not joke much
-  The ice machine is my new friend
-  The first week is extremely difficult because of the un-comfort level
-  The pain level is much lower than I expected. Probably 3-5 on a 10 scale
-  OA pain is gone immediately
-  Massage therapy is a form of voodoo
-  My wife Rocks
-  The raised toilet seat is both weird & wonderful
-  Sitting down & getting up if difficult
-  The 90 degree angle rule is hard
-  A recliner is a must

I know this is a long post so if you have gotten this far bless you. I'm so thankful to find this site and Dr Gross. Wish me luck as I recover. I will try to post shorter updates as I progress.

Brad (blt01)
L Biomet Recap - Dr Gross - 11-14-12

OtterDriver

Re: New Dr Gross Hippy
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 07:47:44 PM »
Hello Brad-

Excellent (and thorough) report!  Sorry to hear about your shower experience...I was treated to a luxurious soak in a hydro tub.  My back was scrubbed while I got a pedicure, facial and everything.

Don't feel too guilty about laying around at this point, just keep up the good work healing.

Take care, Bruce

P.S.- I didn't really get the spa treatment.   

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 11:21:55 PM »
Brad, that's a great report. It's great that you're progressing so well. Good luck and keep it up, you're doing the right things.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:15:01 PM »
Brad,

I am 4 years out from my new hip from Dr. Gross and I have to say your experience mirrored mine.  Things will get even better faster as the days go by, your one crutch will be no crutch really soon.

I laughed when you wrote Dr. Gross does not joke much, when they took their own x-rays the day before Lee came in and chastized me for waiting so long and wondered how I walked on that hip. When Dr. Gross came in right afterwords I told Dr. G that Lee said I did not need the surgery and that my hip was perfect he gave me the strangest look even when I said I was kidding he did not smile.   

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dee Dee

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:29:47 PM »
I had low blood pressure when I got up to take a shower and almost fainted.  It was like grand central station with the OT crew and nurses.  I got back to bed and tried again later with great success.  Glad to hear your report.  Stay on and let us know your progress.

Dee
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:30:52 PM by Dee Dee »
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

patrick_d

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
Great summary story for the whole process.  Looking forward to the next updates.
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats