+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: second hip surgery Dec 3rd  (Read 3243 times)

Toontowngal

second hip surgery Dec 3rd
« on: November 25, 2012, 12:00:43 AM »
I had resurfacing on left hip 3 yrs ago and now having total hip replacement on right due to high medal levels and doctors not recommending resurfacing anymore. I hope the results are equally as good. Due to dysplasia this has been a long road. Would love to feel my age (43) for once instead of feeling like an 80 yr old woman. Nervous and excited all at the same time and dreading the pain and inconvenience but it has to be done.

hernanu

Re: second hip surgery Dec 3rd
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:16:51 PM »
Hi, sorry you have high readings, do you know what the levels are?

We have at least one other hippie here who has both an HR and a THR (Sal), she may be able to tell you about her experience.

Did they tell you the source of the high metals? Usually the source is an improperly placed device. One of the things you could do is to get your xrays and send them to one of the surgeons on this site to give you an idea of whether the device has been placed well.

Again, sorry for the high metal readings, and hope the next surgery leaves you feeling as well as you should.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

fenceman

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »
Beside the high medal levels how is your left hip feeling?
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
toon town - I'm with Hern on this.  You might check around a little before going with your surgeon's recommendation.  Dysplasia may be the main issue, but depending on severity, it might not be an automatic THR.  I think it's good to get a few opinions.  Good luck.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Toontowngal

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
My Left resurfacing has been really good. Not sure why high levels. I understand 7 is acceptable and I am at 10.

Toontowngal

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 01:06:22 AM »
Second surgery done!!! I have to say that a total hip replacement on right side was a walk in the park compared to resurfacing on left hip. The pain levels are not even comparable. It was a nice gift not having to deal with that again. I only needed pain meds for 2 days and just reg tylenol for muscle cramps ever since. My new hip leg is quite a bit longer but I do recall that happening first time around and once swelling went down it was good.

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 09:47:49 AM »
Congrats! I'm glad the recovery is going well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

phillwad

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 04:30:13 PM »
Welcome to a group of us who have had both done - hope the recover goes well and you feel your age.  Today I did a bike race, 14months after my second, and got a 1st place in the over 50 group - recovery is great

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat