+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: resurfaced hip serious burning pains after 8 years  (Read 11136 times)

suni

resurfaced hip serious burning pains after 8 years
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:55:52 PM »
Being new to this site I first posted this message in the general topics where it does not seem to belong so I am reposrting it here:
I had a resurfacing (Burmingham Dr De Smet) 8 years ago. The two first years I had problems (pains, clunking) and De Smet seemed to think it was because the prosthesis he put is slightly too large.
Then I had a metal on metal THR on the other hip (left 2005) with the hope (surgeon, here in Canada, said it might help the right hip) and this THR failed and had to redo it in 2010 (also because I developed a cyst in the hip, consistent with metal on metal issues).
When the second THR (metal on plastic this time!) on the left got better, my right resurfaced hip got better too. And I had about one year mostly free from pain and able to walk and was soooooo happy.

Lately I started to have pain, burning in the resurfacing hip going down my right leg and it's becoming worse. It even is during the night.
I have a very high level of metal ions.
Does anyone have any similar experience with resurfacing after several years? or does anyone have any advice?
thanks
Suni

Spanielsal

Re: resurfaced hip serious burning pains after 8 years
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »
Hi Suni, I'm so sorry that you are going through this.  I had pain in my 9yr old resurfacing but it has gone since my right thr, I'm hoping that it stays away.

I'm so sorry that I have no advice for you, if you have high metal ions that is obviously worrying.

Do keep us posted about what you decide to do and how you are getting on.

Sal x
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

suni

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »
thanks Spanielsal

I am going to wait and see for a little while. observing what makes it worse or not etc...
Getting an apointment with my surgeon is very difficult here! so I want to make sure there is really lots to report!
Suni

Toontowngal

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 01:12:36 AM »
I just had this conversation with my surgeon in Calgary. I ask what the symptome would be if there were serious issues with Chromium/cobalt, and the symptoms are exactly what you are describing. Burning/ swelling.

suni

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »
thanks for the info Toontowngal
yes I think it's fairly typical and I am starting to be quite worried:
This morning I had my apointment with my surgeon here in Vancouver here is what the result is:
he said X-ray are ok so we need to do ultrasounds to see if soft tissues are reacting to metal. My symptoms can be a sign of that.
 Depending on degree of metal tissue inflammation, surgery is recommended ASAP because if tissues deteriorate more or too much then the surgery is not successful. I should have ultrasounds in around one month. If ultrasounds are not bad then I should manage it with pain killer and monitor with ultrasounds once a year.
Surgery is replacing the resurfacing prosthesis by a THR (total hip replacement) which  is major surgery and very complex.... :'( :'(
And surgeon here has done very few (less than 20) which means I will have to research and see if doing it with him is the best solution or if I should go to the states.
Suni

OtterDriver

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 01:31:47 PM »
Hi Suni -

Sorry to read about your troubles.  I have no advice to offer other than do your homework thoroughly as it seems you are.

Good luck!

Bruce

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 01:14:54 AM »
Hi suni, Any update ? Curious on how your doing and what you have found

cwg

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 03:46:11 AM »
SUNI: Get in to see Dr Clive Duncan at VGH! He works with Birmingham doctors (they come to him)

cwg

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 04:45:55 PM »
Am interested in what happened to Suni... Many more than 120 days later. Thank you

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear