+-

Author Topic: Bilateral question  (Read 1071 times)

Ross

Bilateral question
« on: December 06, 2012, 03:08:44 AM »
Recently, I had a bilat resurfacing.  I notice one side much more than the other.  Has this happened to anyone else and do the hips catch up to one another over time.  When should I be able to walk with only one crutch?  I am 1 week postoperative and after walking for a while my sacral area starts to get reel sore.  Thanks for your thoughts.
Ross

hernanu

Re: Bilateral question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 02:43:58 PM »
Hey Ross, I am Hernan, I am a bilat (hi Hernan!), but not a simultaneous one like you crazy guys. My right has always been a little behind my left. It's curious, since my right was much better than my left before the surgeries, but it was done last.

Maybe the fact that my left was done first, went through two cycles of PT and needed to support the right made it scared straight.

My right is still not quite as strong as the left at two years, but is more than strong enough for anything I do - kicking large punching bags and make them move, soccer, lifting weights, etc.  It's a relative thing, since the left feels so good and the right feels so good minus 0.0000000000000001.

I've been working on it - balancing, juggling, working out with bands on my ankles, ankle weights, etc.  It's not painful, sore, or weak, just a little bit behind for the stuff I'm putting it through. It may be a just a psychological thing (seeing as it's equally capable as the other every time I've "tested' it), and I may be turning it into the hip Hulk by all the stuff I'm doing, but it keeps me off the streets.

So it does catch up, everyone is different and it is not unusual or even unexpected to have one be better off at first than the other.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:48:38 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »
Ross,

I'm not a bilat, but if you're only at week 1, then I wouldn't even worry about any disparity for quite some time.  You've got a long way to go, a lot of PT and exercises to do (and icing). 

As for the crutches question, that should have been determined by your surgeon.  Call and ask what your restrictions are, and what their protocol is for assisted walking for what you had done.  Nobody else should be giving you that information. 

Lastly, how much walking is "a lot"?  My doctor said to work up to 1 mile within 2 weeks, and not to go over 1 mile for six weeks (which was tough).  Either way, soreness after "a lot of walking" at one week post-op is completely normal. 
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Ross

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:34:15 PM »
Hern:glad to hear about your activity level.  I enjoy kickboxing and the occasional game of basketball.  I still have a knee tracking issue that I have to fix. 

Imget: I think that I have been walking only 1/4 mile twice a day. I was curious as my left hip has been lagging behind not terribly or anything just more swollen and sore.  Definitely it improves everyday.  Thanks for your input.
Ross

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »
I think it's too soon to be worried about an imbalance between your tow hips,  In fact it really isn't something to worry about.  I had bilateral surgery on 11/15/ 2011 and my left has always been behind my right.  After a year, I can do anything I want, but my left side still doesn't feel as strong as my right.  I'd say my right is 100% and my left is 98%.  I don't worry about it.  It will get there.

As far as moving to one crutch, it's up to your doctor.  The most important thing is that you do not limp.  If you start limping, at some time you'll have to unlearn the limp.  So be patient, even though it's not easy.  Keep pushing but use your head and most of all enjoy your new pain free hips.

Congratulations and good luck
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Mr.Box

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 03:16:46 AM »
Hi Ross,

Welcome to the bilateral club!. I'm almost 3 months post op from same day bilat surgery. Yes you will feel one leg is stronger than the other, it's all apart of recovery. Since you had both done on the same day, your body is going to try to figure out what side can handle more and that will end up being your " strong side ". You'll even it out at PT in the upcoming weeks / months.

Be proud! 1/4 mile a day is amazing this early after surgery. Be careful that you don't push yourself too much. Do as instructed by your surgeon and PT. I was pretty much in bed for the first two weeks after my surgery.

You should stay on crutches for 4 weeks, and from there maybe down to one. BUT, that's what I was asked to do by my surgeon. Depending on technique, implant, and individual factors as fitness level, age, etc. It's best to ask your surgeon what is appropriate for your recovery. Even your PT is a great resource on what you can or can't push at this moment.

It's hard limiting yourself at times, but give up a few months at first.. and You'll have years of fun with the new hips.
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

Ross

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:44:07 PM »
Thank you Mr Box.  That was some very useful information and much appreciated.
Ross

Recent Posts

Re: A Fantastic Surgery Experience by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:20:40 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:18:37 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:17:26 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by zippymon213
October 26, 2021, 01:21:55 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal