+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Doctor in British Columbia  (Read 3091 times)

Larry

Doctor in British Columbia
« on: May 01, 2008, 01:08:16 PM »
I currently am seeing a doctor who only performs total hip replacements. I am 52 years old and active in many sports and would like a resurfacing ....looking for a recomendation for a surgeon in BC with good experience rating in hip resurfacing.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Doctor in British Columbia
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:08:10 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I do have some doctors listed for BC   http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#British_Columbia

I don't, however, know much about them since we seem to gather more info for the US doctors. 

If and when you get a resurfacing, I hope you will write a story for us and tell us about the doctor you choose.  Then we can start to learn more about the Canadian surgeons.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

snoots

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 04:56:30 PM »
Hi Larry,I am a 52 year old female and had my hip resurfaced at U.B.C. hospital by Dr.Donald Garbuz on April 8/08. I was very lucky to have my GP referr me to him with the words "he is the best". Four weeks post op and I enthusiastically agree. I am walking with a cane,can drive and my PT is blown away. Don't wait Garry and don't let them talk you into a thr if you qualify for a resurfacing. We can thank you Pat for having all this info on your site.

regards,
Terry

Larry

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:30:48 PM »
Thank you Terry ... that was most helpful, I will ask my doctor about Dr. Garbuz. All the best to you in your recovery.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 10:04:39 PM »
Hi Terry

Congratulations on your new hip.  I hope everything continues to go well for you.

If you have time, give us an update now and then.

Could you start your stroy under the Hip Stories section and maybe tell us a little more about your pre-op, surgery and post op expereince?  It is always a good way to share info about your doctor and it always helps other people.

I wish you the very best.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dane

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 08:05:13 PM »
Hi, I'm just seeing if anyone has updated information on hip resurfacing in British Columbia. Doctors, and Healthcare BC coverage etc. If this post is too old to resurrect, I'll start a new one. thanks D

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 08:24:25 PM »
I don't have any surgeons in British  Columbia listed.  I do know, if you are at the other end of Canada, Dr. Brooks is doing them in Ontario.  I am sorry I don't have any others listed.

Ontario Canada BHR covered by OHIP at Cleveland Clinic by Dr. BrooksFree Email ConsultationPeter Brooks MD, FRCS(C) – BHR trained McMinn 2006, Treacy 20073500 Hip Resurfacings to date ***Cleveland Clinic9500 Euclid AvenueCleveland, OH 44195Phone 216-444-4284 (toll free 800-223-2273)Email:  brooksp@ccf.orgCleveland Clinic Website
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 08:25:00 PM by Pat Walter »
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jimbone

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 02:35:59 AM »
Some BC patients travel to Seattle Wa. to consult with Dr. Pritchett.

grants

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »
Hi Dane, to my knowledge their is only one surgeon doing BHR operations in BC.  Dr. Clive Duncan out of VGH/UBC hospitals.  I was lined up to have surgery with Dr. Duncan, which is a good option as he is a well regarded surgeon who does a lot of the harder hip revision surgeries and had been a leader in the orthopedic field for a long time.  In the end, i decided to go to a high volume hip resurfacing surgeon in the States, Dr. Pritchett in Seattle.  I also got the Buechell-Pappas system with a cross poly insert (synovo preserve also marketed as, i think).  6 months out and please with the result so far.

Happy to answer any questions if you want to DM me.

Cheers,
Grant
LHRS - Dr. Pritchett Aug 2018, bearing surface - cross-poly insert on ceramic coated titanium un-cemented femoral  component.

Dane

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »
Hi, thanks for the quick replies.. This will be my second go around, but the first was overseas covered by my company insurance. Now I will be looking for coverage through the BC healthcare system, and not sure how that will work. Did they somehow cover your op in Seattle? I did call the nursing hotline, (811) but they had no info.

grants

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »
Hi Dane, no coverage through BC Medical.  If you go out of province you are on your own for payment. 

Grant
LHRS - Dr. Pritchett Aug 2018, bearing surface - cross-poly insert on ceramic coated titanium un-cemented femoral  component.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat