+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Soreness akin to pre-surgery pain  (Read 9585 times)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Soreness akin to pre-surgery pain
« on: December 11, 2012, 09:39:52 AM »
So,  I was back in Dayton, Ohio visiting friends, and decided to go to my old neighborhood, which was adjacent to my favorite running trail.  About 4 miles in total through the woods.

I knew that I couldn't run it all.  I typically get about 1/2 mile before it gets sore.

No, I haven't gotten the HOKA shoes just yet.

So, I made it about 3/4 to 1 mile before I got sore.  Then I run/walked for the next 3.  By the last mile, I was really sore and had to just walk.

However.....the day after I was more sore in my hip than I've been since before surgery.  It's getting better today, but still noticeable.  I guess I'm surprised about his, being 11 months out.  Anyone overdo it and get really sore this far out?  Think I did anything really wrong?
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

obxpelican

Re: Soreness akin to pre-surgery pain
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »
Here is what I would do and it's what I do when I over did it in the past.

Find a couple of days when you can get off your feet for most of the days, take some ibuprophen and ice the area where it's sore.   If you do not find relief, call Lee and talk to her, explain your pain to her.

I have a friend I met through these forums who lives in Chicago, he over did it one day, he could barely walk, he took it easy and he's going like gang busters to this day.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:14:14 PM »
Thanks, Chuck.  I guess I'm a little freaked out because this is the first time since surgery that I've had any pain that persists.  I think if it was an implant problem, it would hurt all the time.  It only hurts when I walk or go up stairs.

If it were a fracture, I think the pain would be much worse.  It actually hurt a bit when I sneezed, which makes me think it's muscles.

I did send Lee a note, though.
Andy

BOILER UP!

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 06:59:46 PM »
Not atypical, Andy. I had one setback for about a week or so about that time (10 months) with my left. Still can't decide whether it was scar tissue or what, since it infrequently hurt when I took a step and then it just stopped.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »
Thanks, as always.

I thought I was done needing the help, and was on to just helping others.  Glad I'm on this team......
Andy

BOILER UP!

MJ

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 09:45:35 PM »
Hi Andy,

I had my RH resurfaced 3 1/2 months ago by Dr Pritchett and I am having the exact symptoms as yours. It was all fine and getting better every day but for last 4 days I am having pain after walking or climbing stairs. I was walking 3-4 miles everyday and climbing 15-20 flights of stairs everyday with no pain for last 2 months so I am really taken aback by this pain which feels like pre surgery pain I had after a little bit of walk.

I am curious to know how did this issue get resolved for you.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 09:17:31 AM »
Hi MJ.

First, if you're only 3 1/2 months out, and you've been doing that level of activity for 2 months, that seems very early for that much activity.  In my original post, I was 10 months post-op.  My issue was strictly related to running.  I would get sore around 3/4 to 1 mile into a run.  If I stopped I was fine.  If I tried to "power through", the soreness could last 3-4 days.  To be honest, this has never fully resolved.  Dr. Gross says that ends up being the case in maybe 10% of his surgeries, and he does not know why.

So, for about 7 years I hadn't run.  I could do an hour of HIIT training.  I ccould run the bleachers until I couldn't.  I could/can do boot-camp style workouts, including things like box jumps - with no pain - but I couldn't run for more than a mile without this ache setting in.

About 18 months ago, I started going to a boot-camp type gym.  In it, I did more lower-body stuff than I've EVER done in my life.  After about 4 months of this - when the weather permitted - our group would go out and run a mile after class.  I was able to do that without the telltale pain.  Another day I tried a run, and was able to go 2 1/2 miles before the pain settled in.  So, I believe what I'm figuring out is that my issue was always that I probably had under-developed lower-body musculature.  Prior to surgery, I ran and biked, but didn't really do much lower body strengthening. 

Unfortunately, shortly after this realization, hip #2 started to go and my boot camp and running came to an end.  Because of COVID, I had to wait 5 months to get my other hip done, so I am now 4 months post-op on hip #2.

I'm not a doctor, but I would say that you were probably overdoing it for such a recent surgery.  The last thing you want is a femoral neck fracture because you're pushing it too much, too soon.  Just dial it back for a few weeks, then work back up slowly.  You've probably read this before, but the recovery is a marathon, NOT a sprint. 

Best of luck.

Andy

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:21:54 AM by imgetinold »
Andy

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone