+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Perthes and resurfacing  (Read 1505 times)

wayne-0

Perthes and resurfacing
« on: December 16, 2012, 01:14:58 PM »
Ok here is the question, my good friend who is 47 yrs old is having hip issues and found out he has Perthes disease and will need bi-lateral hip replacement down the road. Does any one know if people with perthes can have resurfacing or anyone out there with perthes that have had resurfacing?

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

einreb

Re: Perthes and resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »
Perthes is a childhood disease.... he's just getting it now?

I had it 7-9 years old, resurfaced at 40 after things finally fell apart... story here...

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/hip-resurfacing-topics/ramblings-regarding-my-scheduled-216-resurfacing-with-dr-gross/

one thing to note, for perthes resurfacing... it was particularly important for me to go to a doc with perthes experience.  the anatomy of the hip is generally really messed up so you have to have someone that can deal with odd situations on the fly, in the O.R. with you opened up.

my results have been outstanding.

-B
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

wayne-0

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 11:37:34 PM »
Hey Einreb thanks for the reply. I will have my friend read this post and your story. I guess he has had no problems(pain,ect.) when he was young so he never knew it. But symptoms just came on the last four months or so and as he has gone to the docs to get things sorted out they found out. He is going downhill really fast so I think it will be sooner rather than later for him to have surgery. Thanks again for your reply , it will really help him make some decisions.

Wayne

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:56:48 AM »
I had Perthes as a child and it came back to bite me when I was 45 had right hip resurfaced and left might last a bit longer but will need doing. My older brother had un detected perthes in his left hip and had that resurfaced 12 years ago and is doing Great.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 03:36:17 PM »
There's more folks that have posted here about Perthes, so I'd keep checking bakc to see if more folks pop in.  I recall a fairly involved discussion about it a few times, you might just so a search if you haven;t already. 

From I what I know, depending on the severity of course, HR is a good solution and works.  But I would think this is the kind of thing you want a really experienced surgeon for.

Good luck for you buddy.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

wayne-0

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 12:21:31 AM »
Thanks Jason and Tin for the replies. I let my friend know and he has read your posts and he is moving forward with that info.

Wayne-0

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat