+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: May 7th Surgery  (Read 29248 times)

J B

May 7th Surgery
« on: May 05, 2008, 05:28:47 PM »
Hi, I am a 43 year old ex hockey goalie. Played most of my life, at least once a week year round, sometimes 3 times a week in season. Pretty competitive leagues,some ex juniors and a few who made it in Europe. Moved on to golf about 7 years ago( still miss the smell of the rink even my nasty hockey bag), but found out all the fun came at a price. Started getting pain in my hip about 3 years ago, ignored it but  it grew worse. Finally had my primary doc take an x-ray in July 2007. Showed significant damage, so she sent me to a joint doctor specializing in sports related injuries. He told me I was in bad shape but too young for a total hip replacement so I should consider my other options. He did not do hip resurfacings but referred me to a doctor at the University of Washington Medical Center(Dr Jason Weisstein). After several consultations and feeling good about my decision and my doctor , my surgery is in 2 days on May 7th. I had gotten to the point were I couldn't finish a round of golf even driving in a cart, let alone finish a day at work without being in tremendous pain. I work at a very busy grocery store in the produce dept. By the way, UWTV the television arm of the campus, has been filming this entire process and will air when everything is over. Sorry this is so long and I will post when I return home from surgery. Hope this helps somewhat. John
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:05:03 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: May 7th Surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 05:33:33 PM »
Hi John

I gave your your own topic since you are about to have surgery.

I want to wish you good luck. 

We will look forward to hearing about your surgery and recovery when you get home.  I will be happy to post your story for you and any videos you have.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DirkV

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 01:19:20 AM »
Hi John,
From one goalie to another, good luck on your surgery. I think there is a med study in the making on goalies and hip arthritis. Seems like every goalie I know who has to quit due to injury (in 40s) has hip problems to blame. In addition to myself, I personally know 3 others whom I used to play with.
I'm 5 weeks after my 2nd resurf (had bilateral 5 weeks apart). Even at this short duration after surgery, many things are better. I recall the recent aha moment when I got into a car feet first, rather than butt first, which had been modus operandi for the past few years because the hips couldn't bend/support sufficiently.
Quick advice: The first surgery was great, and I was feeling better than arthritic days after a couple, three weeks. The second one was a bit more of a problem, but it's coming along well after 5 weeks. I was a bit discouraged that the 2nd one wasn't a miracle story, but while healing progressed a bit more slowly for the first few weeks, after 5 weeks, it seems like I'm only a week behind where the other one was. Take your healing as it comes.
Please keep us posted on your results. Don't worry too much about the surgery. After facing down those guys who played major juniors, you don't have much to worry about. During pre-op, I told the anesthesiologist that I hadn't felt that much adrenalin since hockey playing days. He smiled and looked at his syringe, and said, "I've got something for that."
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

bciam

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 09:23:11 AM »
To my fellow keepers :

It is great to hear from other goalies.  Do either of you plan on going back to the sport after you recover ?

I am 35, my hip problems started about 5-6yrs ago.  Thought it was muscle related until both hips started hurting which is when I got the x-rays.  I imagine your stories are similar.  Anyway, I am scheduled for resurfacing in June and am pretty committed to getting back to the net (I hope).

Best of luck on your surgery John.

Hope your recovery on the 2nd hip continues to progress Dirk

-Brian

J B

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 04:36:49 PM »
Good to hear from two fraternity brothers. Now we can join another one too.

Dirk, glad to hear everything is going well with your surgery, nice to have support that this is the right move. I think I saw that Rick Dipeitro(sp) from the Islanders is suffering some major hip problems that shut down his season, so you are most likely right about it being an occupational hazard.. My right hip is shot,with some arthritis setting in to my left but no call for surgery, yet. Enjoyed that comment from your anesthesiologist, good stuff. I figure if we can handle a slap-shot to the melon we can handle this. i will post in about 4 days when I get home.

Brian, not much likelihood of my returning to the net, though I miss it dearly. Thought I would join a 40 and over league at some point, skills not what they once were and not in the mood to deal with some 20 year olds nonsense, but my doctor thinks that might involve too much risk. Thanks for the good thoughts and I will give you my input on my progress as your surgery date approaches. Hope it goes as well as Dirks.

Gotta get some stuff ready, this has really helped my peace of mind, thanks again guys.  John

DirkV

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 01:41:11 AM »
Hi guys,
John, hopefully we'll hear good news about your surgery soon. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
Brian, ahhhh, the question about returning to the game. I probably should have gone to counseling a couple years ago when I quit hockey (I'm 47 now, quit at 45 or 44). In the meantime, I've taken up cycling much more seriously -- find a competitive outlet in that. But I'm still thinking about trying hockey again.
Both my surgeon and the and the other surgeon I consulted but didn't go with said I could return to hockey/goaltending. That said, the surgery is still new enough that we're kind of guinea pigs. Both also made this clear and couldn't point to precedent of others going back to goaltending. My surgeon said he is less concerned about torque stress from hockey than the pounding/impact from basketball, for example.
On the other hand, my wife makes the valid point that hockey is probably the cause of my hip problems, and reminded me of sore knees and shoulders after tournamements. Perhaps those other parts are 85% worn out.
She's probably right, but here's my hockey plan. I'm going to focus my rehab on cycling, but, if everything is going well, I'm sure I'll want to go open skating in a few months, just to feel the joy of skating again (pre-surgery it got to the point where I couldn't go skating with my kids last summer). Then if that feels good, somewhere between 6 and 12 months, I'll play up in a totally for fun old timers league (but there are still the skill guys who played college/ Juniors / Europe). Then, knowing the demand for goalies, I'm sure there will be a time when one of the goalies pulls a muscle or has to miss a week, and they'll recruit me to strap on the pads again.
At 35, you should have a lot of hockey left after your surgery. Did you see some of the pics in the "hip story" section? One of the martial arts guys has some pics that show range of motion should not be a problem for goaltending, although I wonder how long it takes to get that degree of stretch/motion. I mean, we can't spend 30 sec or whatever gradually getting to the point of extension; it has to be instantaneous: a shot and a save.
Pat posted my "hip story" and I'll have to try to add updates on how the hockey plan goes.
-Dirk

bciam

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 11:09:28 AM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

John, you won't read this until post-surgery so, how did it go ?

Dirk, I absolutely saw all the photographs posted on the site and was encouraged probably by the same martial arts pictures.  Good point about how long it may have taken to gain those positions.  The other thing that has encouraged me is that my surgeon is an ex-hockey player as well, in fact I think he played for Harvard back in the mid 70's.  He seems pretty confident that I will be able to return, but I am not 100 % convinced.

Also, I have gotten pretty involved with Triathlons in the past 4 years and have completed the Ironman in Lake Placid.  Have you been back on the bike since your surgeries ?

Brian

DirkV

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 12:51:50 AM »
Hi Brian,
Wow, completed an Ironman! That really is a different breed of cat. Those guys are crazier than goalies. I participated on a tri team once for an Olympic distance tri. I thought I was in good shape until I saw the legs on those guys.
I've had good fortune, bad fortune about getting back on the bike. Just yesterday I met with a Phy Therapist who specializes in cycling (she has an MD in a Phys Therapy related field, is a world class cyclist, and her husband is a cycling coach). The good fortune was getting in touch with her. Five weeks post surgery, and I 've graduated from the basic exercises. But she is of the mind that you need to have all your balance, all your muscle control, etc. before going out on the road. She gave me a new regime of exercises (mostly focusing on glutes right now), but talked about graduating from the training stand to rollers before thinking about going out for real rides. I may take a few easy spins outside, just for fun, but she has a point. I tried to get out of saddle on the training stand and just about jerked the bike out of the holder. It got a bit better, but that part is going to take a while to get back. And I'm sure other aspects of riding we take for granted are out of whack as well.
That said, I've been on the training stand since day 10 or so post surgery, at first with no resistance and adding resistance and duration since week 3 or so. I'll have to hook up the computer one of these days to check watts, but I want to wait ahwile, so I'm not too embarrassed. :)
John's surgery is not doubt complete. Look forward to hearing about his recovery.
-Dirk

bciam

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 12:13:47 PM »
Dirk,

The Ironman community is full of some pretty whacky folks so I fit right in.  Actually, Mike Richter was in the race I had done as well, although I did not see him.  If I had I would've asked him for an autograph :)

Comforting to hear that you were back on the bike that quick after surgery and hope you can get out on the road soon, although it sounds like you have some cool gadgetry to at least keep you somewhat occupied on the trainer.

Hope John is doing well and am also looking forward to his 1st post-op post.

-Brian

J B

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 02:20:36 PM »
Dear Pat - have you heard of this happening?  Doctor says things are just fine, but here's what happened....Got back home May 11th after a 4-1/2 day stay at the hospital.  Had some complications - the surgeon sheered off a pin and had to leave it in (my bones were so hard, they burned out a router in surgery).  Had a 101 to 101.5 fever right after surgery (Wednesday) and through Friday.  Then temperature spiked and receded back to normal a couple of times.  Saturday had to have 2 pints of blood infused, as my red cell count was too low.  Sunday was discharged, but with prescription for potassium as that level was too low.  Ride home was uncomfortable and my leg was swollen.  Swelling has gone down alot now.  Any reply would be appreciated.Thanks.  John

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 03:22:31 PM »
Hi John

I had heard of one other patient that had very, very hard bones. Dr. De Smet said it was one of the most difficult surgeries he had done.  It took much longer to shape the femur bone for the cap.

At least you must have really good bone stock!

I know of one patient that had a drill broken off during an osteotomy for AVN. 

So you are not alone with a souvenir of surgery.

Some people have had fevers and blood loss. You are not alone there either.

I hope you can continue to ice your leg and you will be feeing better soon.

Keep in touch.

Pat
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:43:01 AM by Pat Walter »
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bciam

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »
John,

I am sorry to hear that things are going a little rough.  It sounds from Pat's response that it is not totally unusual so that is a positive thing.

I wish you the best of luck on your recovery and I hope things begin to improve sooner rather than later

-Brian 

DirkV

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 05:32:54 PM »
Hi John, I hope things are getting better for you.
What's the prognosis? Do you have weight-bearing restrictions?
My leg was swollen from knees up to butt after both surgeries, with the butt especially swollen. I didn't do too much with ice, so that probably explains a lot of it. After a couple weeks the swelling receeded.
On my second surgery (had them 5 weeks apart), I was placed on weight bearing restrictions (25%), which was an incredible hassle compared to getting around on 1 crutch or cane. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but my doc also mentioned extreme bone density and really having to put his shoulder into the reaming. I'm guessing that it is easier to ream precisely against a softer surface.
On the positive side, and if you are on restrictions, healing occurs while on restrictions: the bone does grow and fuse and meld, I could work on some of the basic physical therapy. It was kind of depressing in that after a month, I felt  like I was approximately where I was after 10-14 days after the 1st surgery. But when the restrictions were removed, in 1 week I was close to being caught up to the previous, non-restricted surgery.
Good healing,
-Dirk

J B

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 07:37:52 PM »
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but have found that I get tired extremely fast and don't have a lap-top to type in bed and sitting at the computer has been very uncomfortable. it is day 11 since surgery and things are going much more smoothly. Am off the pain meds, tyllenol manges just fine. I take my 10-15 minute walks 3 /4 times a day, increasing a little everytime. The ice therapies is slowly bringing down the swelling in my thigh but still about twice the normal size as normal. Range of motion is getting better, too. Was just a little concerned and depressed that everything didn't go perfectly, but I feel better everyday and can't really detect any of the original hip pain, which is nice. See the doctor on friday for my first checkup. I am on weight bearing restriction but feel pretty stable on two crutches. Thanks Dirk and Brian for your  encouragement, I need it a times, and especially to you Pat for your prompt and knowledgeable answers, pretty awesome. Will be in touch regularly. Daytime tv is a wasteland.  Thanks John

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 11:08:57 PM »
Hi John

Glad things are going a little better for you.  They will get better in time.  Sometimes you will take 2 steps forward and one backwards.  You will plateau and seem like you are not making progress, then all of a sudden you will do better.

It is all part of the healing process that can't be hurried.  I wish you the best of luck.  It takes quite awhile to get all your strength back too.  Surgery really takes a toll on your body.

You are on the road to recovery.  Good Luck and keep in touch when you can.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bciam

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 09:16:11 AM »
John,

Little over 2 weeks, how's it going ?  I was encouraged to hear that things were improving from your last post.  Hope the recovery continues to progress and look forward to your next report.

John and Dirk,
As far as the daytime TV wasteland (not looking forward to that) take heart, the Stanley Cup Finals start soon  :)  My team of rooting interest (Flyers) just got knocked out by those stinkin Pens (pretty good team eh).  Despite popular belief I think it will be a good series with the Red Wings.  Any thoughts ?

-Brian

J B

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 01:00:22 PM »
Brian,Dirk, Pat, et al
Well I had my first post-op visit on Friday 5/23 at U of Washington Medical Center. Saw the physicians assistant and everything seems to be going well. She showed me the x-ray of my hip so I got a good look at the extra sliver of metal I have piggy-backing on the main prosthesis. Looks kind of weird but was again told, it will not affect my health or impede anything I should be able to do once I have fully healed. Got good news in that the 22 staples in my leg came out. No pain involved, just a slight pulling on the skin. Was told the wound is healing nicely and was given a better weight restriction (50%) on the repaired leg. Also am going to set up some p/t but not sure I really need it. Dirk, did you do any P/t, just curious. No more anti embolism stockings, man what an itchy no good feeling after 2 weeks. Good riddance to those. Have been having real trouble sleeping(usually not a problem for me). Awake until 3 or 4 am everyday, up at 7 or 8. After 20 years of starting work at 6 am and being up at 5 am this is really messing with my body clock. Just can't get comfortable and my brain won't shut off when it is supposed to. Was given a prescription for ambient, took it last night and got a solid 8 hours without waking up once, something to consider when you do yours. Have been off narcotics since 5/18, the P/A was pleased at that since most prior patients would be staring to get weaned off the stuff after first post-op visit. I am moving around pretty good and looking forward to ditching the crutches. I see Dr Weisstein in another month, more x-rays then and hopefully another good prognosis. After the first week problems (when I was wondering what i had gotten myself in to) I am moving along at a very acceptable rate and feeling more like myself everyday.

I am rooting for the Red-wings, God bless Chris Chelios he is older than me and still going. Also Chris Osgood played his juniors for the Seattle Thunderbirds(awhile ago on that too) and I used to watch him play quite a bit. The Penguins are the team of the future but hope the veterans can teach the pups one more lesson. Detroit in six games. Just glad the teams aren't from Atlanta or some such  place.

Hope everything is going well with you Pat and Dirk, and Brian hope you aren't hobbling around too badly. Talk back at ya soon, 
John

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 02:27:46 PM »
Hi John

Glad to hear things are going well for you.  It is always good to get rid of the TEDS. 

Sleeping at night is difficult for most people.  Taking a few Ambient won't hurt anything and maybe you will feel better with a little more sleep.

You will start to feel much better and sleeping will be easier.  I was able to sleep on my unoperated side about 9 days post op with a big pillow between my legs.  Have you tried that?

Good luck and keep in touch. 

HE SCORES!!!!!!!!    :D ;D

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DirkV

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 01:14:51 AM »
Hi John,
Glad to hear the progress. It's kind of ironic with the healing, where the rate of progress probably diminishes over time -- in the first couple weeks I went from not being able to move my leg at all sideways with adductors (or abductors - always get those mixed up) or up in the air with those leg lifts. And then you go from nothing to getting movement back. As time goes by - between months 1 and 2 - it's more a matter of degree, but at some point that degree lets you do something that's very important to getting back to normal life. Almost everyday I find something way better: getting into the car, getting over the tub and into the shower, putting on pants without having to sit down, tying my own shoe, going from 1 or 2 sleeping positions to 3, 4, until it's not really an issue anymore, etc.
You'll love life when you get off the crutches. No more backpack, no more multiple trips to carry a cup of coffee and newspaper. They hold you back while things heal, but when you lose them, your walking ability should come quickly to nearly catch up to where you would be if you hadn't had the restrictions.
In retrospect, sleep was probably my biggest problem the first month: discomfort from only having 1 or 2 positions available, worry about keeping a pillow between knees when I usually don't do that. Although I wasn't in pain, it was still enough discomfort to interfere with sleep. But I've found that sleep gets much better, although gradually, after 3 or 4 weeks. Hope you have the same progression.
After my second surgery, I asked for and received sleeping pills. But when I asked my Dr. for his advice/opinion, he said that if I usually don't have problems sleeping, then the sleeping pills aren't really targeting the problem, which was pain/discomfort from surgery. He advised taking the long-duration pain pills. I tried each alternating for a few nights, and found that even though I didn't consider myself in pain, the codeine-based pills addressed the discomfort, and I slept as well or better with those than with the sleeping pills. I used them for 2 or 3 weeks before bed (it's all kind of a narcotic haze :-) )after my 2nd surgery and wish I had after my first.
You asked about PT. I had 'garden variety' PT for the first 3 or 4 weeks - standard exercises for both hip replacement and resurfacing. Because I was resurfacing, I had 120 ROM limit nstead of 90 deg, but it's kind of moot in that I couldn't get 90 even in these early days. With my weight restrictions, I couldn't do weight-bearing exercises after the 2nd, but again, it was a pleasant surprise to see how quickly I caught up with where I was on the other leg, after the restrictions were removed.
My athletic endeavors have shifted to riding bike in the past couple years, I got a referral to a woman who specializes in cycling-aware PT. I'm seeing her every other week, starting at 5 weeks post-op. Her main focus is glutes, glutes, glutes. That focus is based on a return to cycling, but from what I've read about rehab from hip resurfacing, it's good protocol regardless.
As for the Stanley cup, I'm not a Wings fan, and I'm not happy. We lived in Seattle in the late 80s- mid 90s and probably were in the coliseum watching Osgood and the Thunderbirds with you. That was a great place for watching hockey -- played a few games there too with mens league teams.
Good luck and good healing,
-Dirk

bciam

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 08:33:04 AM »
John, Dirk

How's the healing coming ?

John, I imagine your next follow up is coming up soon, hope all goes well and am anxious to hear how you're doing.

Dirk, How's the cycling going?

I am scheduled in a little over 2-weeks, June 25th and am getting a little anxious :-\

P.S. John, you sure called the Detriot series, nice job by you  :)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat