+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: May 7th Surgery  (Read 29243 times)

xocy

Silly Question
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 11:41:58 AM »
I'm scheduled for bilat. I occurs to me that come "potty time" I'm going to have some pretty sore buns. What do you do about this other than "grin an bear it".
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

DirkV

Re: May 7th Surgery
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 09:54:23 PM »
John I'm eager to hear how your recovery is going. Hope it's progressing well. While I'm not happy that Detroit hoisted the Cup, it was a good series, good hockey, and you have to hand it to Detroit.
Brian, wow time flies. Your surgery is coming up. I wish you the best.
My recovery is coming along well. I'm still cycling on the training stand, but getting better endurance and even though it's the stand, I can tell that out of saddle is MUCH smoother than it was even a few weeks ago. PT consists of emphasis on working glutes but my ROM / flexibility was really bad, so now we've added that to the regime. Lots to work on, but it's encouraging to see progress.
About the Potty question, I can't answer for the simultaneous bilateral part because my surgeries were 5 weeks apart. I can say that my incisions didn't really hurt, more of a numb feeling - somebody described it as a feeling of sitting on brick. So maybe it won't be a problem :-) Hope not.
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

xocy

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 10:37:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply about the "potty issue". "Numb" sounds good about now. I'll give all of you complete details of my "bilat" expereince in a couple of weeks.
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

bciam

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 08:48:26 AM »
Dirk,

Sounds like your recovery is going well.  Keep up the cadence !

xocy,

Sorry I can't help with the potty issue as I have no experience in the resurfacing surgery yet let alone a bilat.  You should try your own post, maybe other members who have experience will respond.

-Brian

xocy

Recovery
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 09:59:25 AM »
After surgery, is there a diet that will promote healing?

Also, I know this web site is devoted to "resurfacing", but it seems that THR gets a REALLY bad rap here. Everyone is enthusiastic after they have had a procedured that was sucessful, but I belive there is more than "one way to skin a cat". That having been said, I'm going the resurfacing route on 6/23 and on 6/25.

The message board at the bonesmart.org website is guilty of down playing "resurfacing". I have been a frequent poster there because it has is a lot of good information there. The moderator threaten to ban me from posting because, on several occasions, I suggested that a person consider resurfacing. 

I like the idea of having one board to openly discuss all options. How about y'all !
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »
Hi

I don't think anyone means to give a THR a bad rap, we just feel it is not the best solution for many of us.  As you know there are plenty of old fashioned doctors and other people that don't agree.  So I always try to increase people's knowledge about hip resurfacing.

I know that some people can't have a hip resurfacing, don't want one or are ready for a revision from a hip resurfacing to a thr due to a few unusual problems.  So I do support THRs and have a whole website  http://www.hipsforyou.com dedicated to it and a growing discussion group  http://http://www.hipsforyou.com/totalhiptalk/

I just don't mix them both on one website.  I have a handful of people that use to be here, but chose a thr or had a revision over there helping people with their thrs.  The THR information is changing and people need to keep up on that too.  The new materials, ceramics, and short stem THRs are of interest.

So I invite anyone wanting to talk THRs over to that group.  I try to be very pro active THRs also since people need to learn and be up to date.

Any of the younger people with hip resurfacings might just face a thr in 10 or 20 years.  Who knows at this point.

I won't ban anyone for having discussions here, I just don't want big battles.  If people want to get into the real technical stuff - I will give them their own Technical Stuff section!!!!  I want to keep this an open and friendly place for people to learn and find support.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

J B

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 03:40:29 PM »
Hi All,
Yesterday was my five week anniversary and things are going well. No miracle one month recovery but nice steady progress toward normality. I have started p/t in the pool and am enjoying the results such far. Feel like I am on vacation with the family (only time I ever swim). Did have a hard time finding my suit though.  I also had started on some of the machines, bicycle, leg lifts,etc. but nothing crazy, just staying within myself. Lots of strengthening excercising. Still taking my walks down the neighborhood farther afield every day.Hardest part is stopping to talk to my neighbors while still accomplishing what I am out there for. They all mean well with their concern though. I see my doctor on the 23rd of June, hopefully some more restrictions lifted and a clean bill of health. That's how I am doing, enjoyed the hockey, especially the 3 or was it four overtime game. Fleury put on a clinic in goal. Do you guys remember the size of our goal equipment compared to the later generations ? Our stuff looks like little kid stuff and what happened to the Cooper equipment, that was pretty much all I wore for years. Getting older.

As for the "potty question, you will buy some equipment which will make your life easier including a raised toilet seat, a God-send, don't leave home without it.

Dirk, you sound like the recovery is going smoothly, and I have a suspicion we may have played against each other. Does the Cascade Hockey league ring a bell ? Maybe not, but The late eighties through about 2001 was when I was playing alot in the Seattle area. Just wondering. Bears vs Storm? Hope everything is staying on track.

Brian if you want a more detailed view of my day of surgery and stay on the hospital just let me know, don't want to bore you otherwise. Keep a good attitude time has a way of flying.

Thanks Pat, you rock.

John

DirkV

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 05:55:27 PM »
Hi John,
Wow, I'm blown away to find out that we played against each other back when. I can't believe I was sending good wishes to a member of The Storm. I take it all back.
This is a public forum, so I should explain that Cascade Hockey League Bears vs. Storm rivalry was like Yankees-Red Sox plus Bears-Packers to some exponontial degree. My therapist gets tired of hearing about the league championship where the format was a 2 game playoff (what genius thought of that?), and then after we each took a game, the shootout was tied, so they went to head-to-head results during the season (also tied), and then they gave you guys the trophy based on goal differential during the season. It was something crazy like that. Jesky scored a big goal during the championship 2nd game, and I also recall the last regular season game when Holstein scored a garbage goal in the final minute (to make a 6-2 game 6-3 or something) and he celebrated out of proportion. Came to find out that he must have known that goal differential was part of the tie-break criteria. And speaking of the differences in equipment, to add injury to insult, literally, that goal hit an unpadded part on the inner thigh and gave me the biggest black-and-blue mark I'd ever received--until a partial hamstring tear years later. What Holstein lacked in finesse, he made up for with a heavy shot and a strong will to score. I liked his game.
But seriously, that was a good rivalry, and I also recall that we all went to a banquet room and smuggled in cases of beer after that game at the Coliseum. If you see any of those guys, give them my regards!
I had to laugh about your description of trying to get in walks for therapy and then getting pulled into conversations. I felt un-neighborly when  I would sometimes look out the window to check if the coast was clear before heading out.
Your surgery (with restrictions) sounds a bit similar to my 2nd surgery (crutches for a month - 25% weight bearing). But it's good that you can still do the PT. You're gaining the benefits of recovery based on your work, but with your restrictions, you don't really see the results. When the restrictions are lifted, you should zoom ahead to nearly catch up to where you would be if you hadn't been under restriction. At least that's how it seemed to me.
And a note to Brian, to add to our cycling discussion, I went on the road yesterday! I was joking about the difference between that and my indoor compu-trainer-like rig: the scenery really envelopes you as you ride, there are bumps in the road, and stop signs, and puddles, and such. But it was great to really ride again. I took it pretty easy: 45 min, 10 miles, under 15 mph avg on a flat course.
The ride provided another aha moment to the recovery. Unlike Cory Faulk (for e.g., who writes in this site about completing an ironman 3 mo post-surgery), this isn't my profession, and I'm trying to strike a balance between doing all I can to promote recovery while avoiding risk of overworking and also while staying employed in my real job. A couple weeks ago, I would have thought Cory's surgery must have been entirely different from mine or the reports of his ironman were a hoax - not seriously, but it was that unimaginable. After yesterday, it's within the realm of conceptual possibility. Not for me of course, not where I'm at, but I could imagine it being done.
Keep up the recovery,
-Dirk

J B

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 04:09:45 PM »
Dirk,
Too late, I have already reaped the benefits of your good wishes. Cool that my putting the pieces together from our posts was correct and we did have those games in common, along with cranky hips. It seemed either you guys or us won the league most every year. I believe league president Bob Peterson was responsible for that anti-climatic ending you referred to, how lame. Speaking of Holstein, playing pickup with him cost me a cracked helmet plus numerous bent cages, bruises, and ringing ears over the years. Nice guys in that league but have not run across any of them in a long long time.
I am  just getting back from another p/t  pool session and can't recommend it highly enough. I really feel much stronger after finishing my drills and my leg is happy with me afterwards because of the non weight-bearing of the water.I see my Doctor Monday, ready to test out the leg a little more. Hope your cycling keeps progressing well and you get back to 100% soon.
Brian,
June 25th is coming up and my surgery also was on a Wednesday, must be a good day for surgeries. If we don't hear from you beforehand, good luck to you, it has been a long journey to recovery but you do eventually get there.
talk at ya soon John

bciam

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 10:15:01 PM »
John and Dirk,

Thanks for sharing your experience.  My surgery was moved up to Monday, I will post how it went.

It's awesome that you guys played against each other, hearing the hockey stories has added to my motivation to return to playing.  We will see !

Thanks Boys

J B

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 08:24:53 PM »
 I went for my checkup Monday( six weeks out from surgery) and everything is progressing nicely. The implant is melding into place, no movement and I am now on one crutch and was told to progress as my body dictates.( I have a cautious physician) My doctor, who is about my age (43), told me that if it was him who was laid up for 6 weeks on crutches, he might be tempted to just go for it now, but he said, don't go for it yet. No sense in screwing it up this late in the game. We talked and looked at the x-ray of the implant were  the sliver of metal sheared off. He talked to reps from Birmingham and told them he was upset that it happened, but was told it shouldn't effect me in any way, so I hope that part is true ! I see Dr. Weisstein on August 4th and he said I should be good to go and back to living my normal life with no weight restrictions. It is fantastic to not have the constant pain that I had before the operation. Still have a little discomfort from the surgery but other than that I only have pain when I put my leg in a position it isn't ready for. My repaired leg is weak from inactivity but I am working hard on my P/t and getting stronger every week. I will be back on the golf course before I know it. The UW tv crew has been along filming this entire process and will be interested to see how it all turns out.I will figure out how to post it when they are all done, not sure how that stuff works. Well thats it for now, will be glad to reach the finish line. Hope all is well with all who are reading this and if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me. Dirk, Storm forever!!!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 08:41:02 PM »
Hi JB

Sounds like you are doing great.  You doctor has given good advice, take it easy.  You have the rest of your life to "go for it"

When the video is done you can upload it to the Surface Hippy Video site   http://www.surfacehippyvideos.com/   Then I can get it and put it on the video pages on the regular website.  You can always email me if you are having problems.  You can also send me a DVD that I can convert and put on the website.

I hope your recovery continues to go well.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DirkV

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 10:50:24 PM »
Hi John, glad to hear that your recovery is going well. It just gets better! Today's little aha moment for me was going to the grocery store and realizing that I wasn't using the cart as a walking-aid, as I had done pre- and post-surgery.
I went to a mens league hockey game yesterday to watch a few former teammates. Haven't played in probably 3 yrs, but after watching that game, I can conceptualize it. I wouldn't attempt getting back between the pipes until a year post surgery, and discretion may still keep the pads hung up in the garage, but I did catch the bug.
I hope your recovery continues apace.
-Dirk

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
Recovery sneaks up on you just like a bad hip chips away slowly at your active life.

You start doing little things you don't even think about.  It just gets better and better.  You will find you also might have plateaus where all of a sudden things get a whole lot better.  I found that at 4 weeks and at about 6 months.

Good Luck. Keep up the good recovery.  Enjoy the new hip.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bciam

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 07:38:05 PM »
John,

Happy to hear that things are going so well now in your recovery.  Let us know when you are able to post the video. 

Also, thanks for your well wishes prior to my surgery, I appreciated it.

-Brian

J B

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 01:51:04 AM »
Hi to all especially my fellow net-minders. Just checking in after my one year checkup this last week. Dr. Weisstein took x-rays and the like and I was given a clean bill of health. Everything was were it was supposed to be, good bone growth with no sign of slippage or wear. I will continue to see him once a year or until he tells me there is no need to come in, if that ever happens. No more bone on bone or arthritis pain. I still know that I have had major surgery in the recent past, but i don't have to think about planning every activity making sure my hip would hold up to it.  I guess what I am trying to say is, I think about how lucky I am to have a second chance to be active again. I feel really good about the way things have turned out, the few prior years I had been pretty stagnant and in a lot of increasing  pain. So any of you who are struggling with your recovery or deciding on this surgery, there is light at the end of the tunnel. You will feel better. The film crew who documented my journey has posted this story at the following site. Go to uwtv.com and punch in hip resurfacing in there search engine. My doctor is pretty cautious in who he thinks is a candidate for the procedure but you can form your own judgments with the great information on this site. I found it quite interesting how pudgy I was at the beginning of my journey compared to the end, having lost about 20 pounds. I don't think hockey is in my future but is sure is nice to be able to go to work and enjoy my family and hobbies again. I'll just tune in to nhl and enjoy our local minor league team. Sorry this is so long but just wanted to give encouragement to those who need it, and to express my sincerest gratitude to Pat and everyone who makes this site so great. John

P.S. Dirk, sorry about the team photo they use in the video, that was the championship game you referred to in an earlier post, 1993 was a long time ago buddy.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat