+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: deep ache "insanity" workout  (Read 8407 times)

afii58

deep ache "insanity" workout
« on: December 31, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
A little over a year and half from resurfacing...first year work thru to 13.1 very slow run... 12 min miles vs 6:50 previous years...hip sore for a couple of days afterwards...no pain going hard on the ellipiticalduring that first year but in run training for 13.1 would occasionally try to air it out..7 min per mile, but was never able to go longer then 1 miles before ache shut me down. decided just to stay away from running. Tried to do insanity workout after that around the year mark...1st time lasted about 2 weeks...took about 2 weeks for hip/leg to feel normal again...2nd time lasted 4 weeks..again about 2 weeks to get normal...3rd time lasted about 7 weeks no pain, but started to ache last week and shut me down..now it's been about 4-5 weeks and leg still ache from the hip pointer down the leg ( bone ache)...wondering if I cracked the femur, or what is going on...any thoughts...was never able to run pain(ache free) even starting slow, low mileage...just wondering how others do it...do they still get that deep bone ache a year and half  out after doing impart activities?
:

mslendzion

Re: deep ache "insanity" workout
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 03:58:04 PM »
I'm about one year out and shoveled some snow yesterday, granted, not as an intense of a workout as you do, but I'm really sore today and it is running down my leg.  The pain is pretty intense.  I'm thinking this is normal but hoping for additional feedback as well on your post.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 05:38:44 PM »
Anytime you do something post op that your hip is not used to you will find at times you will suffer a couple of days, if you really push it even a year post op it can happen and it's nothing to worry about unless it continues for a few weeks.

We've seen many a hippie push it hard even 2 years post op only to find themselves in pain, remember pre-op you did almost nothing, now you are expecting your muscles and ligaments not to complain? 

Whenever I would push it I would ice down, take some NSAIDs and take it easy and I was back to normal.  Now 4+ years post op it rarely ever happens.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Arrojo

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 09:29:10 AM »
You probably have scar tissue buildup in the soft tissue.  Not the implant itself.  You need to get that scar tissue broken up.  Try a deep-tissue massage or Active Release Technique.

I am doing P90X workouts as well as running every other day, including 2 track workouts a week.  I would never be able to do any of this without having Active Release to break up all that scar tissue once  month.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Baby Barista

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 12:15:10 PM »
I would echo what Chuck said. There hasn't been a lot of research in this area -- time to "full recovery". But during my most recent visit with Dr. Pritchett, he said in tracking his 2000+ hip resurfacing patients... they continue to show improvement in ROM, pain level and endurance as far as 24-28 months post op. I personally think that speaks to really listening to your body, and developing a game plan that gradually ramps up over the course of 24 months. And the reality is, these hips are artificial. They will eliminate our arthritis pain, but they are not perfect. Many of us will never feel as good as those fortunate enough to have beautifully round femoral heads and acetabulums, covered in smooth cartilage.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »
I am about 15 months and 10 months past bilats and I do get muscle soreness with exertion, (low impact) but I do not get any pain that I'd characterize as "bone pain".  As stated above perhaps you are having deep scar tissue issues etc.  If you are fairly certain this is bone pain, I'd contact your surgeon, because that would not seem normal after 18 months.

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

afii58

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »
thanks for all the replies....the scar tissue issue might be spot on, also just maybe  "out of work " muscles..lol. Have backed off on all areobic excercises for last 3 weeks...hip/leg is feeling better .... I have a habit of pushing hard...so will work on suggestions given here, thanks

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat