+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Gross - Columbia, South Carolina  (Read 8889 times)

xocy

Dr. Gross - Columbia, South Carolina
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:51:40 PM »
I've giving consideration to using Dr. Thomas Gross. I live in Atlanta and am still having a hard time understanding why so few resurfacings are done here. They do some, but not many. I'm apprehensive about going to Columbia for surgery. It just does not seem like the hip surgery Mecca of America.

I'd like to hear from any of you that have experience with Dr. Gross. All replies will be treated as confidential. My personal email is mraycox@aol.com.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:47:55 PM by Pat Walter »
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Dr. Gross - Columbia, South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:31:31 PM »
Hi

Actually Dr. Gross is probably one of a few that are the most experienced in the US.  He has done over 1300 hip resurfacings.  I would not think twice about using him and often suggest him to people.  The only other way of getting really experienced hip resurfacing surgeons is to travel overseas like many of us have done.

Dr. De Smet has done over 3000 hip resurfacings, Dr. Bose over 1100, Mr. McMinn and Treacy over 4000.  They are among the best in the world.

Many insurance companies now cover their surgeries. Dr. De Smet has a wonderful rehab program and the Villa is a wonderful place to stay.

I have a nice selction of Dr. Gross personal stories  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Dr._Gross_Hip_Stories_  and just yesterday added his video interview  http://www.surfacehippy.info/doctorinterviews/grossinterview.php  I don't think there is a better hip resurfacing surgeon in the US than Dr. Gross.

Many of us traveled to Belgium and India - so Columbia SC is not too far for many people.  A lot of people from CA and up east have traveled to Dr. Gross.

Resurfacing is new to the US.  The doctors only started learning in 2006.  Resurfacing is a much more difficult surgery than a THR and many surgeons just don't want to learn or don't have the skills to learn the surgery.  That is why it is so important to choose an experienced surgeon.

I would have used Dr. Gross but did not have health insurance and ended up flying to Belgium.  Be glad you are so close to him.  He will give you a free consultation if you contact him and send him your x-rays.  It takes a few weeks sometimes before he calls you - but he will.  A personal call from one of the best in the world.  Can't be that.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

gabulldog

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:44:50 AM »
I had hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on May 14.  I'm 4 weeks post op today.  I have been very happy with Dr. Gross.  I was a little worried about hip resurfacing since it is a newer surgery.  After talking to Dr. Gross, there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted him to be my surgeon.  He spent a lot of time with me answering all of my questions.  Every part of the process was a positive experience for me.  Everyone was nice and good at what they do - nurses, physical therapist, occupational therapist, etc. 
I'm still on crutches (10% weight bearing) for 2 more weeks because of my low bone density.  Normally, you would be on crutches for about 2 weeks and a cane for 2 weeks.  My incision looks great.  I stopped taking pain medicine after about 6 days.  From reading on the website, this is different for everyone. 
I definitely agree with Pat.  Dr. Gross is one of the best.  I can't imagine a better experience.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »
Hi GA Bulldog

Congratulations on your new Gross Hip!

When you get a chance - would you make a post under the Hip Stories section and maybe put an update or two there as you progress?

It is nice for people to see the stories posted there and info about the doctors too.

I hope your recovery continues to go well.  Keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bullweenie

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 11:24:47 PM »
Dear GABulldog,

I just had surgery with Dr G and am on the same restrictions.  I'm having a hard time imagining I can keep to that for 6 weeks.  Please write to me.  My email is visible when you click my name.

I would like to hear more about how you managed that restriction, and I have some specific questions.

Thanks.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Chandler

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:22:15 AM »
Chandler,

I sent you an email. Good Luck recovering. I must have just missed you at hospital. My surgery was June 23rd with Dr.Gross. Restrictions aren't soo bad. It's only  6 weeks, you have the rest of your life with your new hip. I'm 1 week in already and feel great. I was in pre-op this time last week at providence thinking maybe I shouldn't do this, maybe my hip will get better. Shelby and Kiesha (the prep nurses) kept my spirits up and reassured me that all would be better after the surgery and they were correct. Lisa
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

DMCCREIGHT

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 12:07:59 PM »
WHAT KIND OF AN INCISION DOES DR. GROSS DO??

xocy

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 12:53:54 PM »
Dr. Gross did both of mine and each incision is under 4".

Mike

Dr. Gross
Bilat
Left 6/23/08 Right 6/25/08

mraycox@aol.com
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

nwugrad

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »
XOCY,

Does Dr, Gross use a posterior or anterior approach?  Does he preserve the neck capsule?  How long did you stay in Columbia before returning home?  How have you handles follow up visits, treatment etc..., assuming you don't live very close to Columbia?

xocy

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 02:06:36 PM »
Posterior, yes he conserves the head and neck. I had both hips done. I entered the hospital on Monday hip one, and had hip two on Wednesday. I was discharged on Friday at lunch time. If you have one hip done you will be out in two days if there are no complications.

Mike

mraycox@aol.com

Bilat
Dr. Gross
6/23/08 and 6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

xocy

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »
By the way, the follow up is 6 weeks later. I live in the Atlanta area and have a 3 hour drive.

Mike
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

JeanM

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 04:32:59 PM »
Mike & Lisa,
Over the last several weeks, I've read so many of your posts that I feel like I've been stalking you both!  Thank you for your openness and candor in describing your experience with Dr. Gross and your surgery.

After many months of research, I too have landed on Dr. Gross as my surgeon of choice for a resurfacing.  My surgery is scheduled for Sept. 10th, which is the earliest that I was able to get scheduled.

My question for you both (and any other Gross Hippies who care to share their 2 cents) is did you choose to go with a cemented or an uncemented device and why?  I'm still feeling a bit torn on this.  But, I appreciate that I have the choice with Dr. Gross. 

Thanks!
Jeanie
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 07:25:14 PM »
Jeanie,
Don't worry you are not the first person to stalk me..lol
I let Dr. Gross decide...I have enough cement in my fillings..lol....

Good Luck in Sept...You will be amazed at how the HIP PAIN disappears...

Mike-Whatz up hippy Mon?????? I walked 2 miles today and attempted my elliptical just for a minute...Ye Haw......
As always say hi to Mary..

Lisa
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

nwugrad

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 11:38:33 AM »
Mike,

Why didn't Dr. Gross do both hips on the same day?

Mike

xocy

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 01:12:10 PM »
This is his preference, and I belive it is a precaution due to possible blood loss. He uses Cell Saver which recycles your own blood and you do not have to doanate blood in advance. He gives each patient a written copy of the surgical report at discharged. Mine stated that with the first hip I did not require any Cell Saver and the second hip I required a small amount. The report also tells you exactly how much blood was lost.

Mike
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

JeanM

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 03:09:24 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I'm strongly leaning towards uncemented as well and it's reassuring to hear that others are going the same route.  I'm only 41, so the concept of potentially eliminating a possible 'weak link' in the system over the longer term appeals to me and makes sense.

I live in Utah.  So I haven't seen Dr. Gross in person yet.  I mailed him my x-rays and info and had a phone consultation with him.  He and his office have been a pleasure to work with so far.  I just wish I could have gotten on his surgery schedule sooner.  I'm so ready to have this done.

Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

John C

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 05:44:28 PM »
Just sharing my experience in traveling for surgery with Dr. Gross. Firstly, he and all of his people are so great that you feel like you have a family away from home. I was operated on Monday afternoon, out of the hospital on Wednesday, but decided to stay at the hotel across the street until Saturday, just to be close in case something came up, and to make the 8 hour series of flights home a little easier. It worked well for me.
On the cementless question; it is one of the reasons that I went to Dr. Gross. I intend on getting back to a life of high impact activity 40+ hours per week, and it was my belief that the cement was the most likely source of eventual failure under that kind of load. Not enough data yet to know for sure, but that was my reasoning.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat