+-

Author Topic: ASR recall  (Read 6157 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nz girl

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
ASR recall
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »
Hello, would like to connect with others who have the recalled ASR resurfacing device.
I am asymptomatic, and have borderline raised metal levels. I am seeing a surgeon for followup and monitoring.
Would like to hear other people's experience.
Had the device since 2008, Dr Bose.
Thanks
Karen.

wayne-0

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 281
Re: ASR recall
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:48:41 PM »
Hi Karen, Yeah I am one the lucky ones also that have the ASR implants. I had a same day bi-lat surgery Nov 2008. As of today there have been no problems for me whatsoever, and I am very active doing some heavy impact sports. I have been monitoring my metal counts and they have been very low so far. I will be getting another test for metal counts here real soon. I like to have that checked once a year. Also keep in mind that the failure rate is somewhere around the 13% mark so that leaves an 87% success rate. Let me know if you have any other questions, I would be more than happy to answer anything I can.

Wayne 
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

nz girl

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Re: ASR recall
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 06:54:07 PM »
Hi Wayne, thanks for the reply, good to know others out there still up and running. My metals added up to 11 and the recommended number for a revision is 20+.
Did you get get both hips implanted with the ASR?
I had a total hip in 1998, and resurfacing in 2008.
Initially went for a Birmingham, but this was not small enough, so ended up with the ASR, just found out, so was a shock.
Who did your surgery?
Regards
Karen

wayne-0

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 281
Re: ASR recall
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:16:41 AM »
Hey Karen, both of my hips are the ASR. Dr. Ball down in San Diego was my doc. I can't say enough good things about him, he is a highly skilled doc and he cares so much about his patients. So if I am reading your post correctly you have one side THR and the other Resurfaced? Is that correct? And if so can you tell any difference between the two?

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

nz girl

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Re: ASR recall
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:29:44 AM »
Hi Wayne, the thr has less movement, but saying that is very good, can swat to ground etc, have had since 1998' with no real problems, do not run or do impact sports, but walk a lot and swim.
The resurfaced has more movement available, and too has been good, PT every few days helps to keep all in check.
We have different legal system here in NZ, and trying to connect with others here, but have not been able to yet.
Anyway, not letting this ruin a lovely summer we are having at the moment, but keen to get some information.

 

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats

Powered by EzPortal