+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Question about radiation therapy after surgery  (Read 1277 times)

Wooster97

Question about radiation therapy after surgery
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »
Hi all,

I'm scheduled for hip resurfacing or THR surgery (he'll decide during surgery since I measured small) on Mar.  25, 2013 with Dr. Peter Brooks at the Cleveland Clinic. I have ankylosing spondylitis which increases my risk for heterotopic bone growth after surgery. During my appointment, Dr. Brooks said I would need one session of radiation therapy to help decrease the risk. Yikes! This is keeping me up at night since I can't find out much information about this online. I read that the skin at the site could become irritated and sensitive, ok, i can handle that. What else? Does it generally make people feel sick? Anyone here been through this? Did you stay in the hospital longer? I have a two year old daughter - will I have to stay away from her for a bit?

I'm so grateful for this wonderful website! Thanks for helping all of us out who are new to hip resurfacing.

Christina

RH, uncemented Biomet, Dr. Gross & Lee Webb
4/24/2013

Ross

Re: Question about radiation therapy after surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:08:17 PM »
Hi Christina,

I would not worry.  I believe Dr Su does it on most of his PTs.  Hopefully a Dr Su hippy will chime in to the topic.  I was scheduled with Dr Su but opted for Dr Gross in the end so I can't comment on the final result but it was in his protocol.  How is your SI joint?
Cordially,
Ross

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:13:12 PM »
I think it should be fine, Christina. If you're really concerned ask him.

Don't worry about your daughter being around you. The treatment doesn't make you radioactive, so she should be fine around you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Wooster97

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »
I really appreciate your responses.  I suppose I'll find out more at my next appointment.

Ross - You must know a thing or two about AS.  :)  My right SI is fused, so it's no longer causing any pains (at least that's what my docs keep telling me!).  My right hip is the one that I'm going to have fixed up.  By chance do you have AS?  If you do, I'm curious to know how physical therapy went with the flexibility problems that accompany AS.

Hernanu - Thanks for your reassurance.

Kind regards,
Christina
RH, uncemented Biomet, Dr. Gross & Lee Webb
4/24/2013

Ross

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:04:33 AM »
Hi Christina.  No I do not have AS.  Rehab will probably be easier than the fusion.  Don't worry about the radiation focus on your rehab and getting better.
Ross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat