+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip resurfacing on women measuring small  (Read 4768 times)

Wooster97

Hip resurfacing on women measuring small
« on: February 10, 2013, 07:46:34 PM »
Thanks to this fabulous website, I was able to speak to another hip resurfacing candidate.  We are both curious to hear from any ladies out there who ended up having hip resurfacing surgery.  Specifically, we'd like to know if any women were told they measured small and still had hip resurfacing rather than a THR.  If you're one of these ladies - what were your measurements? Was the surgeon accurate in his estimation of your measurements?  Our surgeon said he would decide during surgery whether we get a resurfacing or a THR.  Any of Dr. Brooks female patients out there?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,
Christina and Nancy
RH, uncemented Biomet, Dr. Gross & Lee Webb
4/24/2013

Marco Polo

Re: Hip resurfacing on women measuring small
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »
Christina and Nancy:

I don't fit the category, but I know that a high percentage of Dr. Schmitt's patients (Detroit area) are women. Perhaps some of his patients will chime in.  Dr. Gross and Dr. Su have also done a lot of small boned females.  If you send them your X-rays, they will let you know whether you are a good candidate.
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 08:27:52 PM »
There have been a lot of smaller women with sucessful hip resurfacing.  Vicky Marlow is very small and has 2 from Dr. Bose of India.  Dr. Bose does a lot of small Indian women.  I know Dr. De Smet does a lot of smaller women.  Some of the US surgeons are very conservative and are not doing small women or men, so you have to take time to find a surgeon that will give you a resurfacing if you would like one.

I would get consults with some of the top surgeons like Dr. Gross, Dr. Su, several of the overseas surgeons like Dr. Bose or De Smet.  Find out what they think so you can make a good decision.  I think Dr. Kusuma in Columbus does smaller women too.  He does not have quite the experience as some of the surgeons, but did a lot of resurfacings with Mr. Treacy in the UK.  You Might try Dr. Rogerson or Schmitt.  Take some time if your first choice says no.  I have seen McMinn, De Smet and Bose all disagree on whether they would do a candidate or not.  Just make sure you choose surgeons that do a lot of resurfacings.

I would want a surgeon to tell me up front that he was going to give me a resurfacing, not make that decision during surgery.  They normally know up front what the odds are that you will get a resurfacing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lyn

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:47:51 PM »
Hi ladies,  I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross. I'm small bone my size was 42/44 . I saw 3 HR doctors. 1 said be woud do it if I instisted on it, but recommend a total hip. The 2cnd one said he woud do a HR but it was with a polyurethane liner inbetween the metal cup n ball. And the 3rd doctor, was Dr. Gross who was confident that an HR could be done on me,but did tell me I was considered a higher risk due to my size. My bone density is good, which is a factor in consideration for an HR. I will be 6 months post op at the end of this month, so far I'm very pleased with the results. I hope that helps...lyn

mslendzion

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 06:59:35 PM »
Hi,

I'm about 5'1 and a size 4 -6 (should be a 4 but I'm at a 6 and TRYING to get back).  I had my left hip done a bit over a year ago.  It was life changing in a good way.  Dr. Schmitt saw no issues with my size or that I'm female.  His website indicates he specializes in women.  My cup size is 44 /50.  I think it has more to do with the skill of the surgeon and how the device is placed.  Prior to surgery Dr. Schmitt did not see any issues with my size.

Actually, the first surgeon I went to, who did not do HR's, referred me to a few surgeons who did BHR's so he did not think my size was an issue either and thought it was a better option for me since I"m still somewhat young (I was 46).  Let me know if you have any questions.

Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

nz girl

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »
Hello, re the small hip size, or less than 50mm, I would investigate what device would be used.
I am small and had my rt hip resurfaced 2008, I had an ASR as this was the only option on the market at the time for small hips.
I am on the monitoring system to chk ion levels which are borderline, had X-ray and MRI and all look fine.
Since having my hip resurfaced, there has been a movement away from MOM and now the trend is to ceramic as the newer ones are proving more stable.
Dr Bose 2008.

kimberly52

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 02:41:11 AM »
Hi,

I must had my left hip done where Dr. Clarke used 42/44.  Dr Clarke discussed with me that he could not give me 100% certainty that I would get the BHR and would not know for certain until he went in there.  He had mentioned that if the cysts were extensive then it could pose difficulty.  Fortunately they did not present a problem.

Nothing is absolutely certain in this world and I believe that the consent form I signed that indicated BHR vs THR Stryker was a CYA for the doc to prevent any liability issues if it went south for whatever reason.

So far I am very pleased with the results.

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Beth

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 04:24:46 PM »
I thought today would never come. Had my appointment with Phil-Dr Brooks' PA (Cleveland Clinic).
I was a tad shaken when he told me my "measurements" of my hip barely met the minimum for the hip resurfacing and that I may end up with a hip replacement if Dr Brooks finds at the time of surgery the BHR is a smidgen too big.  :-\  All this means I won't know until I wake up if I end up with a HR or THR.
Phil must of seen the look on my face because he did say the odds where STILL in my favor that I will get the BHR. He said it looks like I will take a 44mm cup- the minimum size Dr Brooks uses. (if I understood this correctly)
I'm NOT a small framed person so I was surprised I "measured" small. It didn't even cross my mind that this would be an issue for me.
I was so disappointed to hear this. Going into surgery and not knowing what I am waking up to will be stressful. Talk about having faith.
I will be scheduling my pre-op appt and my surgery on Wednesday.
Just to ask the question again...has anyone else experienced being told the decision would been finalized at the time of surgery...HR vs THR??
Has anyone been told that they measured "small"?
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

Juno

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »
Good luck Beth. Dr. Gross did both of my hips and I have 52 acetabulum and a 46 femoral cap. I am 5'4" and 118 pounds -- I am small boned. It was never a question as to whether or not I'd get a hip resurfacing. Although I don't know what the lowest size Dr. Gross will use.

I hope it works out for you!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Beth

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »

Thanks  Juno for your words of support.
Did Dr Gross give you ANY indication of what size you were pre-op?

I am 5'5" and 150# =/-.  I have a medium wrist and wear a med/large glove. Hence my surprise to be told I will need a small cup/head. I think I was 118# in the 8th grade!!! I realize weight isn't always an indication of frame but REALLY I am not small boned by ANY stretch of the imagination.
I will just have to have faith that I will wake up with a HR and not a THR. I would love to go back to running. My last run was over 3 years ago.
Beth
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:53:23 PM by Beth »
52mm cup  46mm head

Juno

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 09:14:18 PM »
Beth --- I was never pre-measured in any way (besides having X-rays taken). Neither Dr. Gross or his assistant ever made mention of my size at all. When I questioned if I was at higher risk, we did discuss my being female with dysplasia certainly but me at a higher risk, but Dr. Gross was always 100% confident that I would have a HR.

It's funny how our body types (outside) never reveal what our insides look like! I'm small-medium boned, so go figure that I even got a size 46!.

Keep us posted on how everything goes!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Debcoco

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
Beth,
I'm 5 weeks out from a RBHR. I'm 5'8 and medium build.  I can't really address your concerns, but I thought it was interesting that after my surgery and the Dr was speaking to me he said that he was surprised that I was "shallow"....now, I don't think he was talking about my personality:-)  When I asked him if this was bad, he said no, it was just genetics.  My past bone density scan showed excellent.  He assured me that what he was referring was not related to bone density or osteoporosis.  Still a bit confusing, but I left it at that.

I'm feeling great and so glad I had the surgery.

Best of luck to you!

deb
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

Beth

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
Deb,
Glad to hear you are doing well despite being shallow (lol)!! Keep everyone posted on your progress.
The more I think about it, the more faith I have I will be awakening to a BHR and not a THR.
Beth
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:41:28 PM by Beth »
52mm cup  46mm head

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »
Beth,
I'm 5 weeks out from a RBHR. I'm 5'8 and medium build.  I can't really address your concerns, but I thought it was interesting that after my surgery and the Dr was speaking to me he said that he was surprised that I was "shallow"....now, I don't think he was talking about my personality:-)  When I asked him if this was bad, he said no, it was just genetics.  My past bone density scan showed excellent.  He assured me that what he was referring was not related to bone density or osteoporosis.  Still a bit confusing, but I left it at that.

I'm feeling great and so glad I had the surgery.

Best of luck to you!

deb

Hi Deb... I have been called shallow before, although not by a surgeon (I don't think... ) but I reassure people that while I may be shallow, I am broad....

Welcome to the site, shallow or not.

Beth, I was also told there was a possibility of a THR, depending on what they found inside. It was an HR both times, but my first question once alert was... HR? and positive both times.

Dr. Brooks is an excellent surgeon, I'm sure he'll do his best to make it an HR. If it's not possible, then a modern THR is still a very good option.  Wishing you good luck and a resurfacing to come.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Debcoco

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »
LOL Hernanu...thanks for the welcome!

This website is fantastic!  My surgeon recommended I check this site out and I am so glad I did.  I'm in Florida and my surgeon is the only one currently in town performing BHR.  I had never heard of a BHR before until I went for a consult due to osteoarthritis and was told I was a good candidate.  The minute I walked into my house I went straight to surface hippy and the rest is history.

deb
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

grapesintx

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 03:06:22 PM »
Hi Beth,
I saw a surgeon in October that told me I measured 44 and recommended THR instead of HR.  He said he would do resurfacing if I chose that, but would have the same results with a THR without the risks.   I have since decided to have Dr Gross do my surgery, who said I would be an excellent candidate for the resurfacing.  My surgery is scheduled Jan 22...so I guess we'll see what size I am then!
Do you have your surgery scheduled?
Lorie

RHR Biomet Tri-Spike Magnum 50/44  Dr Gross  1/22/14

Beth

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 07:52:12 PM »
Lorie,
My surgery is on February 17th.  I am having a CT scan on 2/4 to further help with sizing and cup position. I meet with my doctor a few hours later that same day- Dr Brooks at the Cleveland Clinic for my pre-op. I will be discussing the issue of my size and the possibility of waking up with a THR. I actually spoke to Dr Brooks secretary who assured me that I am scheduled for a HR and she can only remember one female who he could not do a HR. He has done over 1800 (men and women) so I am going to have faith that I will indeed wake up with a HR.
Please keep me updated on how you are doing.
Good Luck. Your surgery is right around the corner!
Beth
52mm cup  46mm head

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM